Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPC Restarting Issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If I'd had someway decent internet access in the last couple of weeks I might have known about it. Now the computer I had brought to my dad's surgery to replace a buggered up machine has it, and the locum's getting annoyed. Bloody annoying, but at least it's curable.

Cheers for the links. Time to download it and run it later. As if having to "run" on XP wasn't bad enough...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hmmm, just a quick question...

How many of you are running firewalls?

Most, if not all, block RPC requests (Tiny, Norton..) and some of the best are free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i would've used xp's built in firewall, you can't seem to use that with utvip's dialler tho:rolleyes:

someone give me linkage to a decent free firewall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

ZoneAlarm

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Originally posted by tman
    i would've used xp's built in firewall, you can't seem to use that with utvip's dialler tho:rolleyes:

I use the XP firewall with the XP-Lite dialler - and I've had no problems whatsoever. It doesn't firewall the conenction by default so just go into network&dial up connections and edit the properties and bobs yer uncle. As for firewalls I use Sygate Personal Firewal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

I got attacked tuesday night by this little whore of a virus, Tiny Firewall picked it up and asked me around 20 times did I want to allow port 135 in....

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michaelpwilson

Slightly OT, apologies, but this may be interesting to some of ye.

Thanks to this flurking bar steward of a worm, my W2K server is quite knackered. I never actually got the worm, so it's a bit ironic, to say the least. I downloaded SP4 for W2K as advised by the MS website whilst trying to find the patch for the worm - even more ironic is the fact that I now discover I didn't need the forking patch at all because Zonealarm would have blocked it.

Anyways, now the server takes ages to boot up (stays at "Preparing network connections" for about five minutes). But the real kick in the teeth is that surfing has become one pain in the wobbly bits. Any URL typed into internet explorer doesn't even seem to be requested from the DNS for about two minutes. Subsequent pages requested from the same URL load fine, however. Also, MSN Messenger v6 also appears to have been hit by this bloody service pack.

A word of advice: Read the documentation for W2K SP4 on the MS website before you decide to install it. There are lots more problems associated with SP4 and you can see these if you go to the community newsgroups on support.microsoft.com. If you must install SP4, please don't do what I did: I elected not to backup the old files first (the installation gives you this option).

I'm off to find a nice short rope and a nice high gable. Anyone got a lend of a stepladder for about 10 mins?

HTH

Michael

Advertisement