Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gfz card question and upgrade mobo question pleas help.

• 11-08-2003 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

ok em.. Tusky here on boards has offered my a GF2 MX 64mb for €40 i have no doubt that this is a reasonably price, however i am just wondering is it and will it perform better than my Kyro2 64mb atm?? I here that a kyro2 doenst have a T and L unit.. so thats y it runs Cs and half life mods so badly? My question is will the Gefore 2 MX 64 get me 70 + stable fps with my config now atm which is p3 500 128ram?

Also If i was 2 upgrade to This as suggested by dempsey on one of my previous threads? How do I go about fitting this mobo in.. will it fit in my current case? a Dell Dimension XPS T500?? And will I be able to attach my currnet HD CD Rw etc etc onto it?

Regards,
    -Coz.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Im sure you can find a better graphics card, I mean, you will be buying a new one after a while anyway.

Your not always going to be playing Half-Life Mods.

Keep your 40 euros and buy something decent.

For 83 euro:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=34604&t=278&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=24&GrpID=1&s=pl

However, Im not sure if your motherboard would be able for it.

In responce to your question about motherboards fitting in dell cases, in my experience, big brand name manufacturers like dell generally have crappy cases designed only for 1 motherboard.
    With Power supplys that only fit dell motherboards.

Why not spend a bit of money on a new case, motherboard, gfx card, Processor etc.

The difference will be amazing, and you wont regret your purchase.

BTY, I didnt think the lack of a T&L unit would have a large impact on older games like Half-Life, I dont think it would even take advantage of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

ehhh well i get 22fps in Cs with p3 500 128 ram and kyro2 64mb card :/?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

that could be cuz u have anti-aliasing and vsync turned on(or maybe thats just nvidia cards), cuz i had a similar problem when playing CS that i'd get like 15fps and it would drop to like 2/3 sometimes. So i turned off them and now it runs at 40fps, which i fine really.

Just a question about mobos there. I lookign at one of the othere threads "MSI Geforce FX 5600 256MB is cool" and since i need to upgrade my gfx card was thinking of getting that card, but my friend told me that my mobo probably wouldn't be able to handle it(i have P4 Dell Dimension 4400), so i was just wondering could anybody tell me would my comp be able to handle it. If not then what mobo is good enough, and r they easy to install, and how mcuh r they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

m8 look at the top of the thread forum for a sticky saying.. Minimum Cpu/PSU/ram thing and i think thats what ure looking for about the mobo question.. also I dont seem to have an option to turn of AA oe FA .. it just ses in options Force AA and Force AF there is noe Disable option:/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Not worth it. Save up a bit of money and get a GeForce 3 minimum.

Geforce 2 MX cards really are brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by koneko
    Not worth it. Save up a bit of money and get a GeForce 3 minimum.

Geforce 2 MX cards really are brutal.

I have a similar setup to ADREN, you could get a gefore3, i have one of them aswell, v good but you only have a 2x AGP slot, the GFX wont be able to run as fast as it can. I'd recommend getting a Geforce2 and make sure that you get the lastest denotator drivers and then you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i've got a Dell XPS500 myself and I rang Dell a long time ago to ask about upgrading the motherboard etc. they basically said it can't be done since the dell cases are made specifically and can't be d!cked around with.
    don't bother with the gf mx2. get another case and a solid motherboard. then get a graphics card. I understand its gonna cost a few more Euro but you'll have to do it in 6 months if you dont' do it now.
    then again, if all you play is Counterstrike................

Advertisement