Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Game rentals?

Options
  • 11-08-2003 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Anyone know of anywhere in Dublin that rents out xbox games and have a fairly decent selection? The only places I've seen stock them are Chartbusters in Phibsboro and Swords and both have terrible selections (about 5 release games each).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PsuedoSam

Hi There

Xtravision have backtracked on their original thoughts and will start renting Xbox games from 25 August.

Bout damn time to.

WNxVolKraGh

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Ok, thats good news :) . Is there anywhere that has them now though? I've heard chartbusters in Blanchardstown mentioned , but that was a while ago, anyone know if they've kept their selection up to date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

Chartbusters are no longer getting in new xbox games for rental and havn't been for a while now, Blanch has about 10 or 15 titles in their store....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Does this mean that Xtra-Vision will begin renting Gamecube stuff too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

xtra-vision will be renting xbox games soon , as for chart busters in blanch they have a very bad selection, xtra-vision will have a more up to date selection .

don't know about gamecube games though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Thanks for the help people, guess I'll just have to wait for xtravision to start stocking them so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Xtra-vision will not be renting gamecube titles and are currently in the process of removing gamecube titles from their stores.

I work for Xtra-vision and have heard no confirmation of Xbox rentals. Only retail. The xbox games were due weeks ago but were put back to store readyness.

Xtra-vision = pants

Originally posted by Swifty
    Xtra-vision = pants

Wow!! I thought Xtra-vision = Biggest video rental store in Ireland.

Swifty if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't know it really equals pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

clownboy, i asked a lad in the local xtra-vision store a few months ago and he said they were going to be renting games for all consoles, including the GBA this summer.

As you say, they've back tracked on the gamecube and wont be rent xbox games till the end of august, are there still (or was there ever) plans to rent GBAgames?

• Advertisement

I say he never read the memos or went to the staff meetings. Xtra-vision always said they would never rent the Gamecube unless it sold well. The same applies to the GBA.

They have decided to stock Xbox because of increased demand in all stores for xbox titles. I have never heard from any manager of confirmed Xbox rental. But i think they will rent it soon due to competitors providing xbox rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by clownboy
    I say he never read the memos or went to the staff meetings. Xtra-vision always said they would never rent the Gamecube unless it sold well. The same applies to the GBA.

Not having a dig at you here clownman but with regards to the GBA, maybe the management of xtra-vision should have a rethink.
    Nintendo have issued a press release regarding the high sales of the GBA this week, as the console has it's 2nd birthday!

It’s celebration time again for Nintendo as Game Boy Advance marks its 2nd birthday this week by notching up sales of over 2 million Game Boy Advance & Game Boy Advance SP consoles in the UK.

Two years after its launch on June 22nd 2001, Europe’s fastest selling console ever is still going strong with over 6.5 million hardware and over 20 million software sales across Europe to date.

Game Boy Advance has seen classic gaming titles such as Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi’s Island and The Legend of Zelda: Link to the past grace its screen already. There are currently over 300 Game Boy Advance games available, and with an additional 60 new titles being released in 2003, including Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire, Hamtaro, Super Mario Advance 4 and Advance Wars 2, Game Boy Advance is set to go from strength to strength.

Andy Williams, General Manager, Nintendo UK comments:
    “The success of Game Boy Advance in the past two years has been nothing short of phenomenal. The console has revolutionised hand held gaming and it’s fantastic to see Game Boy Advance still going strong alongside the recently launched Game Boy Advance SP.”

Originally posted by Scruff
    Not having a dig at you here clownman but with regards to the GBA, maybe the management of xtra-vision should have a rethink.

I agree with you. They want them to sale well before renting but people won't buy them if they see they can't rent them. Then they just buy a ps2. Its a viscous circle!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

They have decided to stock Xbox because of increased demand in all stores for xbox titles. I have never heard from any manager of confirmed Xbox rental. But i think they will rent it soon due to competitors providing xbox rentals.

Not off some one from Xtra-vision but I’ve been told about it by someone who wouldn’t have told me in the way they did unless it was true.

When consoles are first released it looks bad when non-gaming shops like Xtra-vision don't stock them. Would stocking limited amounts of the console to test the demand not be a better idea?

Wouldn’t stocking limited amounts of the console to test the demand not be a better idea for everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Karl Milne is a c*nt !

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

They want them to sale well before renting but people won't buy them if they see they can't rent them. Then they just buy a ps2. Its a viscous circle!!

i think the point he was making is that they are selling well, and that people are buying them and thats why they should rent them out. gba sp is currently outselling the ps2 in most regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

clown-boy thought scruff was talking about the gamecube (which isn't selling well) but infact scruff was talking about the gba (which is).

But Xtra-vision base their selling well on their sales. not of other companies. If they can't sell some many consoles they scrap it from the stores. If they sell x amount, they invest some more by buying games to rent.

Thats how xtra-vision work. And you most likely won't see GBA rentals as xtra-vision have reduced the stock they keep of them. Even big stores haven't received new games for it besides the new Pokemon games.

Swifty if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't know it really equals pants.

K, just happy youre well informed now.

Advertisement