Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus analogue/Sky sports.

• 11-08-2003 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Right i'm living in Ashbourne and have chorus;s analogue cable... similiar to what Mredmond describes in another thread... cable running along the street going into some box on the roof of the house...

Anyway i'm considering getting sky sports with them, and i'm jsut wondering what is involved. Is it just a case of them fiddling with the box? of giving us some sort of special co-ax cable? or do they need to install a special box in the house?

Will sky sports just be viewable on one tv or all the tv's in the house.?

Sky digiatal is not an option at the present time.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They'll supply you with an STB for viewing premium channels. Normally, you'll only be able to view Sky Sports on the TV to which the STB is connected (though you maybe able to run this output to multiple TVs if it has RF-out - most analogue boxes will. You won't be able to though, for instance, watch Sky Sports 1 on one TV and Sky Sports 2 on another - it has to be the same channel on all TVs fed by the decoder.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

And how is the STB set up, do they plug you coax feed from the wall into it? or is it actually wired into the box? also can the stb be moved from one tv to another or does it have to stay on the tv it was installed on?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Mredmond

Decob,

Up to recently I had the premium channels on Chorus Analogue, and what they did was to attach what they called a "trap" - a device about 3 inches long which sat between the cable-box at the house, and the external cable. The technology I never fully understood, but this "trap" essentially decoded the sports channels which I could then distrubute, as with all the others, around the house to as many ponts as I liked (3 as it happens).
    Furthermore, as I connected through a VCR in all locations, there was full freedom to record different channels.There was no STB box anywhere.
    (Often when I'd to ring up customer services, they wouldn't believe that I could have the set-up I did, and I'd have to explain the whole thing as best I could!)
    I'm not saying this is what you'd get, just that this is the case in the Navan area, and you're not so far away. If I were you I'd ask them what type of technology they'd be using IF you ordered premium channels.
    Also, they sometimes they farm this work out to local companies, so if you knew who handled the Ashbourne area, you could check with them directly.

Hope this helps.

cheers Mredmond, i'll look into that, trying to contact a old neighbour who's an engineer with chorus to see what exactly they do here,

I was talking to one of the engineers in chorus yesterdaym, and yes they use the trap as well in ashbourne, which would explain how i was able to pick up sky sports one in black and white through a video player. So hopefully when the engineer installs the trap he will put it on the wire before the split in our cable for the different tv's in the house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement