Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utd sign sporting's ronaldo

• 11-08-2003 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

its confirmed, utd have got him for 8m!!

these are happy days for utd!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Where did you get this from??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Exactly what I was going to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's on the BBC sport website. £8million seems an awful lot for an 18-year-old who's never played in the Premiership, but I suppose that whenever Man U are interested in a player they other team usually raise their price. I reckon he's a very good prospect, but I can't see him making the immediate impact that Ferguson will be looking for after the exits of Veron and Beckham, he'll probably need a season in the reserves to get used to the pace of the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

It's all over Sky Sports News too. He's a class act, was brilliant against United last week. It's a lot of pressure on one so young though, especially in a foreign country. I'm happy though, he has amazing potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Looks like Ferguson is planning to build another team from the ground up - cant see him retiring for a good few years yet or hed be out signing the finished article to make an immediate impact in Europe. Not till he can dance on Wengers professional grave anyway:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Coming from a Liverpool supporter I have to say well done to Ferguson. He really doesn't mess around. Houllier had an excellent opportunity to sign Ronaldo a month or so back and hesitated and let the opportunity slip. United fans should be really excited. He is going to ne a sensation. But I have to say. I would be curious to see his motives. He sold Veron with the excuse he has too many midfielders... I dont know

Christiano Ronaldo is a forward though, or at least an 'in the hole' type player. He's a not a central midfielder in the Veron mould. I reckon whatever plans Ferguson had for Ronaldinho, he'll now look to Ronaldo for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

this guy was amazing last week. a good buy for any team IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Did you see this guy last week? WOW WOW WOW. Rooney will not know what hit him when this guy plays. He's an excellent player. A truly brilliant buy for any team. Bring on Puyol and we are a force to be reckoned with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Great buy but I still reckon they need a more established and older in the whole type player.

If they're going for youth what they should do is snap Kaka out from under AC Milan's noses and then buy Diego and Robinho from santos.

They'd then have the nucleus of the Brazil team for the next decade. Which would be pretty cool.

• Advertisement

Remember the foreigner rules...

Ronaldinho I hope he regrets not coming...actually what am i saying? It was Utd's fault in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I think you can get away with it if the players are seen as being something special ie Juninho and Kleberson disn't meet the 75% thingy but they got through due to general reputation.

I think Kaka has the caps anyway and Diego and Robinho are rightly seen as two of the best young players on the planet. I think the work permit peeps make exceptions on those grounds.

oh ye i know that but what about having too many foreigners in the one team...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Its still an unconfirmed rumour. While it looks like it will go through it is still not a fact. Both Sporting Lisbon and Man Utd have declined to comment on the deal, which is nearly always a good sign that something is happening. Haven't seen him play but 8 million for a teenager, he must be good.

Manchester United are poised complete the signing of Portuguese wonderkid Cristiano Ronaldo today.

Negotiations with the 18-year-old are said to be at an advanced staged after United agreed a £7million fee with Sporting Lisbon.

Moneybags Chelsea and Real Madrid are also understood to have launched late bids to land the winger, but United have a tie-up with Sporting and were always likely to win the race for one of Europe's hottest properties.

Ronaldo is reported to have flown into Manchester on Monday and will be unveiled within the next 48 hours after agreeing a five-year deal and undergoing a medical.

Sir Alex Ferguson, who will also secure the services of Brazilian World Cup winner Kleberson, has refused to comment on the Ronaldo deal, but admits he is still short of an attacking player following failed bids for Damien Duff and Ronaldinho.

"We do need two players, possibly up front, but we do need a defender," he told the club's website. "That's something we are looking at."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the deal is as good as done, same with kleberson. unless the players fail a medical, they'll be utd players.

5 new signings this season, we may eclipse chelsea yet! this ronaldo fella excites me, cant wait to see him and v.nistlerooy link up. thats if he starts which i pressume he will for 8m.

it means one of the midfielders will have to stay on the bench.

PLEASE POST A LINK when you post up information.

I think this will be the formation:

Howard

G Neville Silvestre/Puyol Ferdinand O Shea

Djemba Keane

Kleberson Christiano Ronaldo Giggs

Van Nistelrooy

*So hard to actually guess it cos its so different. Good thing is Ronaldo can play at right/left or central positions. So he can be the attacking midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Is there still space for Scholes on the team? Looking forward to seeing Ronaldo play - pissed that it will be in a Utd jersey.

tbh with you, i dont have a clue what the formation will be. Im only guessing since Fergie said Kleberson will replace Veron. That could mean two things 1) He will be on the bench or 2) he will be playing as a central attacking midfielder.

But then Scholes is left out...so i dont know. He is easily one of Utd best players. Or Ronaldo may be left out instead but 8 mill is a lot.

Buying Ronaldo this close to the start of the season I would pressume that he will be introduced slowly. He's probably fit enough to move straight in but he has years ahead of him.

BTW, I will still hope for a last minute swoop by GH although I think it is as laughable as anyone else.

I think the team(Only going on players that are already there) will go something like this

Howard

G. Neville Rio Silvestre O'Shea

Ole Keane Kleberson Giggs

*******Scholes**********

********Ruud***********

If Utd do get Ronaldo I reckon he, Djemba and Bellion will provide cover. Ferdie hadn't planned on making a move for Ronaldo for another year but he was told that Chelsea were going to pounce. Therefore I don't think he will be in Fergusons plans for this season.

there Reserve team won't be too bad either

Barthez

Pugh Brown Puyol??? P. Neville

Fletcher Djemba Butt Bellion

Ronaldo Forlan

• Advertisement

Are you out of your mind? Puyol in the reserves???? This is a player that will cost about 12-15 million and is a world class defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well it's gone through, but for £12.24million - that's an awful lot of money for an 18-year-old untested in the Premiership, and little more than United got for Veron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

This includes his wages for the duration of the contract. The actual fee was £7.7m

Regards.
    Originally posted by super_furry
    Well it's gone through, but for £12.24million - that's an awful lot of money for an 18-year-old untested in the Premiership, and little more than United got for Veron.

Ubah One,

If you read the first line, I picked the first team out of Players that we have already signed. As far as I know Puyol has not yet signed and he may not sign at all.

I put him in the reserves for the same reason. Hence the ???

I'm a happy camper now!!

Saw him in the match against United & said to myself that United had to buy him!!

It is a lot of money for an 18 year old, but he's definately 1 for the future .... I'd put him the team now, but Fergie's probably going to keep him for the future!!

The best thing about him though is that although he's a striker, he can provide cover for both right & left wingers [he played on both wings in the match against United].

Role on more of the signings :D:D

Here is the statement from United's website:

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=41069

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by gombín
    This includes his wages for the duration of the contract. The actual fee was £7.7m

Regards.
    "Manchester United is delighted to announce that it has completed the transfer of the registration of Christiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro from Sporting Lisbon for a total consideration, including associated costs, of €17.35m (£12.24m). The fee is payable over two years, and the player has signed a five-year contract with the club."

Man Utd are paying Sporting £12.24M over two years. There is no mention of that including his wages. That's a lot of money for an 18 year old in such a deflated market.

I would be amazed if the gap between the two prices mentioned was the players wages anyway. Who in their right mind would give an 18 year old that much money - certainly not Ferguson (he's cleverer than I like to admit).

Wenger is Clever. Queiroz is cleverer. Ferguson is the cleverest!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Originally posted by p.pete
    I would be amazed if the gap between the two prices mentioned was the players wages anyway. Who in their right mind would give an 18 year old that much money - certainly not Ferguson (he's cleverer than I like to admit).

he's earning 20grand a week, at a club like man utd he's on average wages. look at keane earning 60grand a week. for utd thats cheap wages.

i have to praise sporting on keeping their word. apparantly the deal was verbally agreed months ago with ferguson. also peter shmeichael i think started the whole link with man u.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Originally posted by UbahOne
    Wenger is Clever. Queiroz is cleverer. Ferguson is the cleverest!!!:D

Why, pray tell? Ronaldo is a damn fine prospect- in fact better than that, he could be first team material. But he is no better than Le Tallec or Pongolle and the fee paid is enormous! D'alessandro went to Wolfsburg for a third of that fee and he was the fulcrum of the Boca team that just won the Copa Libertadores- and he is the same age. I think he will be a very good player but he is'nt the saviour many are painting him to be and they were stung on the price.

...and he is certainly no Adrian Mutu!

look at keane earning 60grand a week.

Eh Keane is on 85,000 pounds STERLING a week.

And Peter Schmeichel didnt start the link...Carlos Quieroz did.

Marct WTF?

He destroyed Utd last week. Did you not hear what Ferguson said? All the players were asking him to try buy him cos they were so delighted with his play.
    ``After we played Sporting last week the lads in the dressing room talked about him constantly, and on the plane back from the game they urged me to sign him - that's how highly they rated him. He is one of the most exciting young players I've ever seen.''

Hes an unbelieveable player.

By that rationale ye should go and get Diouf as he destroyed ye in the Worthnothing cup final! All I am saying is that one swallow does not make a summer.

• Advertisement

Marct WTF?

He destroyed Utd last week. Did you not hear what Ferguson said? All the players were asking him to try buy him cos they were so delighted with his play.

Hes an unbelieveable player.
    Oh dear, another player bought on the rantings from one match.

Ronaldo is an excellent prospect but we will wait and see. Tis a lot of money to be proved wrong. Strikes of desperation less than a week before the league starting.

Ronaldo is an excellent prospect but we will wait and see. Tis a lot of money to be proved wrong. Strikes of desperation less than a week before the league starting.

In all fairness, i dont really care. Its not as if i get money from him playing well...

In all fairness, i dont really care. Its not as if i get money from him playing well...
    That's a good attitude, I can tell by your coping skills that you have been a ManU fan longer than just the last ten years. Nice to meet the genuine fans.

Football is not my Religion. Football is entertainment. Am i really gonna break down and cry if Ronaldo plays ****? FFS i have more important things to worry about such as making money.

Football is not my Religion. Football is entertainment. Am i really gonna break down and cry if Ronaldo plays ****? FFS i have more important things to worry about such as making money.
    But still important enough to get a little tetchy about?

• Advertisement

Maybe for about 10-15 seconds of my life.

Obviously some people do think its a matter of life and death...i pity the fool that does.

Making money eh? With over 17 posts per day- I want your job!

Obviously some people do think its a matter of life and death
    It's more important than that, as the great man said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Maybe for about 10-15 seconds of my life.

Obviously some people do think its a matter of life and death...i pity the fool that does.

You're the only one who got tetchy.... self pity is it?

Making money eh? With over 17 posts per day- I want your job!

Welcome to the world of a student. Although in this case, its a boring one who doesnt have much to do during the summer hence my ridiculous post count.:rolleyes:

skirle you lost me...

skirle you lost me...
    He's suggesting that if someone were to hold football up there with life and death in terms of importance, then football would naturally be something that one would be tetchy about.

Given that a lot of your recent posts could be construed as tetchy, the life or death comments are mostly likely to be applied to yourself. As it was you who brought up the whole Life or Death thing it would be natural for someone to get the impression that there was a certain amount of self pity in the air.

wow im lost...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

"footballs not a matter of life or death, it's more important than that"

Originally posted by DapperGent
    If they're going for youth what they should do is snap Kaka out from under AC Milan's noses and then buy Diego and Robinho from santos.

They'd then have the nucleus of the Brazil team for the next decade. Which would be pretty cool.

Repeat after me..

Championship Manager is not real-life. Championship Manager is not real life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement