Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Photo Machines

Options
  • 11-08-2003 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

I found out today that it would cost me €6 to have passport photos taken (four little pics on one sheet) in the automatic photo booth at Cork bus station.

I am amazed that this could cost so much - unsurprisingly, I've decided to make my own photos with webcam and printer. Does this service always cost so much or are they just trying to catch out all the unsuspecting tourists that go through this location?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the last time i got passport photos was back in the land of punts!

4 pounds it cost

6 six euros is an outrage

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

My driving licence is up for renewal, so I had to get some done too. Cost me €5.00 in a camera shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

My quest for reasonably-priced passport photos continues!

The photo machine in Paul St. Shopping Centre, Cork:

1 large photo costs ............€2.00
    1 novelty photo costs......... €2.00
    16 tiny photos cost.............€2.00

yet

4 passport photos cost......€6.00!

For each offer, the size and type of paper is the same - I can think of no reason for the higher price of passport-size photos than the fact that they know people have no choice but to pay €6 to get them done :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Yeah, we had a machine in my workplace with a similar pricing structure, we occasionally had a complaint along those lines (nothing to do with us anyways, some other company supplies, operates and takes most of the money from the machines).
    Then on day it was replaced with a newer, and more user unfriendly machine that charges €6 for all photos, including the novelty ones.

Thats one way to even out the prices i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

thats why
    i print from my photprinter

its HP PHOTOPRINTER 1150 series and i am happy with it.
    i think there are more good printer....
    the 6 euro for this is just ridiculas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

the only problem with doing them yourself is that the passport/driving license offices will reject them if not done properly.

as far as I know they have to be of the right size, against a light/white background, and probably some more stuff as well. anyone know any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

yes its ridiculous....you cant get them cheaper than 6 yo yo anywhere iv tried in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mdunne12

today I returned to the unicare pharmacy in Leopardstown for more passport photos.Last time I got some they were € 6,suddenly now € 7.
    Gave me some bullship about chemicals cost rising.

Are we now bailing out KODAK!!!!

See you can get them for €2 online at www.photobox.ie

No wonder this country is ****ed.Constand rip offs.

All chemists are trying this one on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Harvey Normans will gladly do them for €2 , just ask at the photo print station.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dudara wrote: »
    the only problem with doing them yourself is that the passport/driving license offices will reject them if not done properly.

as far as I know they have to be of the right size, against a light/white background, and probably some more stuff as well. anyone know any more?

Easy,
    Took photo of myself on white wall with Webcam, printed out at 36x46, as long as your head fits between the lines on the Passport form its Grand,

Printed off an A4 page full and had no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

ive heard before that the pics from a passport booth are not always accepted for your passport and its a safer bet to get it done in a chemist or one of those camera shops , anyone else heard this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ive heard before that the pics from a passport booth are not always accepted for your passport and its a safer bet to get it done in a chemist or one of those camera shops , anyone else heard this ?

Depends on how close you put your head to the glass.
    Bring the form with you and the guide on it will let you know straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

4 pounds it cost

6 six euros is an outrage
    Well £4 is just over €5, so with inflation its not too bad. Though I do print out my own
    The chemist is more likely to ask what its for and know all the requirements.
    dudara wrote: »
    You can alter/crop the size to be the right ratio in photoshop or even in word.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=257
    Standards for acceptable photographs:

* Photographs should be not more than 6 months old.
    * They may be in colour or black and white [b/w preferred].
    * Minimum photos size 35mm x 45mm, maximum size 38mm x 50mm
    * The photograph should show a full front view of the subject’s head, as he or she would normally appear.
    * The image must be sharp and clear, and taken against a plain white or light grey background
    * Sunglasses are not acceptable. Tinted glasses may be worn provided they do not obscure the person's eyes.
    * Photographs should not show military or police uniforms.
    * Only head coverings worn for religious reasons are permitted. Hair bands are not allowed.

Unacceptable photographs include where the face is not clear, the top of the head is not showing, where parents hold infants in their arms, person has dark glasses, home produced photographs which are not identical or where the paper quality is not suitable for scanning by the Passport Office, and photos taken against a dark background.
    I never knew black & white was preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

just thought i would inform.
    got 4 passport photos for €5.00 in moore's pharmacy Athy. not bad price.
    the wife is a photographer and could for the life of me get her to take my photo and print it out.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement