Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lego = smart?

Options
  • 11-08-2003 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

a lot of ppl in the toys thread mentioned playing lego, lets see how many talented youth played with it :) see if lego is linked to mental prowess.....

u play lego while young? 45 votes

yes i played lego loads
    0% 0 votes
    yes i played lego a small bit
    93% 42 votes
    no i didnt play lego at all
    6% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

How many people here only used the instructions to build things out of lego?
    Personally i would build something once then take it apart and just make things from scratch. I once made a flying jetski :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

lol we only ever used the instructions the first time we got the new lego boxes. Once that was done we made our own stuff, fighter planes helicopters and stealth boats were the things we mostly made, oh and they all had an impressive array of missiles shoved on to them, always missiles......... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Peterfing

Lego was brilliant. So many haunted castles and so forth...

How many people used the big chunky duplo blocks or whatever they were called? I never used them myself, sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I used to build the models from the instructions then look at how they could be modified. An example that sticks in my mind was turning the Technic Test Car (the red one) into a 6-wheeled truck cos I happened to have two more wheels the right size in the JCB set :D

I've built stuff completely from scratch too - right now, the test car set has been used to build a trebuchet (pics here -> http://www.csn.ul.ie/~dobrien/trebuchet/ ). Another nice one was building a crane that'd lift 2kg using the control centre. I reckon it'd have lifted more, but at 2kg, stuff was starting to bend alarmingly, and I didn't have enough pieces in the set to make it stronger.

Incidentally, I'm rather anal about keeping sets complete in their original boxes :D

Lego is great, even when you're 23 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I'm most amazed at the fact that there's 100% for people who have used lego.

I never got into Technic. It lacked the chunky fun of normal Lego... was too sterile and industrial for me.

Hmm.. I'm gonna go root out some old Lego and get playing... It's been far too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I'm most amazed at the fact that there's 100% for people who have used lego.

I'm not - I don't see many non-lego-enthusiasts bothering with this thread to be honest, but that's beside the point anyway.

Going back on topic somewhat, I found Lego ok for some stuff (like houses and garages and stuff), but I always liked machinery, and technic allowed me make my own machines. I still far prefer it to ordinary lego for the sort of stuff it allows me to build.

On a side note, does anyone else think the current Lego range is utterly crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I loved Lego.. I still do, just don't have enough time to waste on it anymore :(

But another question.. Does CS= Bad spelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

heh i never used the duplo blocks, it looked like it was impossible to make weapons of mass destruction from it so i never bothered with it :D after i was around 10 i mostly used technic, but i was always using lego to add the finer details to my technic creations :) those hydraulic technic sets were cool btw, u could make so much stuff outta them

I remember i once made a dock building with an elevator in the middle. The elevator mechanism was an adapted fire hose

I never got into technic, but the ufo stuff was good. Lots of green glass and weird heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

legos rule.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭malecO

I used to get lego all the time. Have about 5 or 6 big boxes of it in my attic. I would use the instructions once, dismantle the model and never build it again the same way. I used to make big space bases and my friends and I would have battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Lego was pretty much what i got for christmas between the ages of 7 and 12, of course i am an idiot, so lego is not equal to smart :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I always played with lego when I was younger. I never got technix or any of that. Pure lego, that's the way to go! I also had duplo when I was ~3. That was really cool. I still have one of my lego creations in sections in the attic. Fully constructed it was quite large.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

Lego was/is and always will be the best thing.
    I've only 2 days left of CTYI forever. how depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I loved logo. I had a huge box off really old lego (some of it looked as though it had been chewed by something with pretty sharp teeth) and i used to make houses and space stations with it. Ah, lego. I wish i was little again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 PurplePainter

I loved lego.. I wasnt so much the weapons of mass destruction type at first.. I was first the big giant cinderella castle type.. id take cathals lego in dull armyish and black and white boyish colors and make castles that I saw in my head... it was weird.. and fun.. ohh and holiday resorts... I wanted to be an architect I guess... But I loooved lego.. i guess it was cos I idolised him too, and Wanted to play with it cos he did :$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Check out : legOS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Happy CTYI guy

I had those big dirty lego train sets. It took me about a day to put the ****ing thing together. In the end i got fed up and tried to replicate train mounted artillery. And also trying to build giant lego robots and airplanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Firstly, I think Lego to be the greatest "toy" ever. In played it loads, built the think once or twice, but mostly my own creations or like a lot of people here, i would build weapons. Well military equipment, ie: Maggnot Lines, D-Day defences, AA-guns, Bombers, Subs, Bunkers. The firemans hoses were easily turned into flame throwers, etc.

Now heres the question, we lego/arms entusiasts, what corrilation is the between those games and our military plans for world domination?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Originally posted by Typedef
    Check out : legOS
    Now THAT is cool.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Havelock
    Now heres the question, we lego/arms entusiasts, what corrilation is the between those games and our military plans for world domination?
    Lego allows us to experiment with maunfacturing weapons delivery systems and to test their durability, as lego, scaled up and made of steel, is a quite cheap way of manufacturing stuff. Like tanks and things.

[/gun nut]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Barry Aldwell
    Lego allows us to experiment with maunfacturing weapons delivery systems and to test their durability, as lego, scaled up and made of steel, is a quite cheap way of manufacturing stuff. Like tanks and things.

[/gun nut]

Not to mention sex toys.....

Ok, changing the subject to something more child friendly... What was the coolest thing everyone ever made from lego, as in own designs, not instruction based.

Personally mine was a flying jetski and as promised, pics and stats are on this site

http://members.boards.ie/jaffer/Lego.html

Massive star trek-stylee spaceship. Used up almost all of my lego. Still have it in the attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

Lego was the only good toy as a child. Every other toy that you buy is bound to break, but with lego, it's a juat a matter of repairing it really. Come to think of it... The people who made Lego must have been pretty lazy. "Hey lets make a toy for children" "No children are full of energy and corn these days, we'll make them do it themselves". And so began the most popular toy to ever exist. Heck it's barely a toy. I'm currently in something of a forign place where most of the houses are made of lego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

That was one of the best things about lego, short of a fire the individual pieces were indestructable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭malecO

I remember building this big pyramid like thing. It was pretty indestructable alright. If you kicked it the hardest possible it wouldn't break.

Now I have to stop typing because I have to go to bed. I have to go to kerry with my parents at 7 o'clock tomorrow, uhuhuhuh.

Why exactly is everyone going to Kerry? I've been there, and they don't even have the internet on computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I loved Lego. I would follow the instructions perhaps once or twice, then build something from my own imagination. I once used all of my sister's and my Lego bricks building a five-storey hotel that included pool, reception, pub and reataurant. Then the five-storey part collapsed. I was pissed off because I wanted to do the destruction myself :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Forge

Lego + rubberbands == dead playdoh allover the place.
    WHooo! lego rules, make calapults and pin down you little brother KErPoW!
    mwhahahaha
    ahem.
    *whistles loudly*

Advertisement