Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously Weird Problem. (win2k)

Options
  • 11-08-2003 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

This is just after happening.

First off i'm using win2k sp3, and have been for the last ages with out any problems.

I was just browsing the boards and i got knocked off and my 56k modem hung up. Nothing unusal there, but when i try to redial by double clicking the dialup shortcut to utv nothing happens.

Went into dial up & network properties and can see the different connections but still nothing when i double clicked them. I logged off and back on and when i returned to the folder it was empty.

Still no luck. I restarted the computer and all seemed well, till the same thing happened again. I've checked my start up rograms and system processes and nothing seems out of place. msblast? dunno what that is but didn't seem to be doing anything.

My control panel now has a permanent scroll bar, have a look at attachment 1.

I'm using AVG antivirus and have it updated and its not picking up anything.

Haven't really changed anything lately except installing and trying foxmail 4.1 before used to use mozilla 5's build in one. Other than that no real changes.

When i tried to start Xtech before the restart i got "The core components for X-Setup cannot be found. "

I don't have a clue what caused this so i dunno how much of the above information is relevant and i hope its not too vague. So if ya've any ideas or just general suggestions they'd be very welcome.

Everything seems to be working fine now except for that mystery scroll bar in my control panel as you can see in the picture.

*EDIT* Also, i cannot copy and paste files or text, or move them.

Unable to open the dial up status or hang up the modem*EDIT*

Gid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

seems to be this RPC thing? that msblast.exe was mentioned on one of those pages linked from the after hours topic. I had just gotten the patch and done a number of other things and all seems well again. Didn't pay attention to it before as people just named winxp and a reboot problem as effects. Ah well. Very weird one indeed. Certainly didn't sound like anythign anyone else was saying that was happening to them. A tiny bit over my head.

Gid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

afaik the only os that ms still support that isn't affected by this bastid thing is windows me:rolleyes:
    i guess 98 is safe as well.

not sure why less 2k users have reported it tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Gah, I hate cross-posting!

RPC DCOM Worm On The Loose
    "The first of I'm sure many RPC DCOM worms affecting Windows is on its way, according to the Internet Storm Center. Patch those systems!" According to the site, "The worm uses the RPC DCOM vulnerability [affects Win2k through Server 2003] to propagate. Once it finds a vulnerable system, it will spawn a shell on port 4444 and use it to download the actual worm via tftp."

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I seem to be suffering from a similar problem although it might not be related. I installed 2 sticks of DDR512mb Crucial (Can't paste a link sorry but it's the one that was on offer on Komplett last week).
    Since I installed it:

-svchost.exe keeps crashing
    -I cant copy and paste
    -LInks that open a new window wont work in IE5
    -If I try to run Media Player9.0 It wont run it because - "Can't perform operation, low memory" - Thats with 1024DDR
    -Also cant set the memory frequency to 400Mhz.....that could be the problem. I'm using a Gigabyte board(GA-8SR533) which should support the memory ok.

I dunno. My probnlem seems to be along the same lines as yours. I haven't a clue what's wrong. I;'ve re-installed win2k pro and it had no effect.

Dregin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

well if it is it which i doubt since ya reinstalled get patch to prevent it again:
    link

get the worm remover here:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

Seen as its new ram have you tried using only one stick at a time see if it one of them doesn't work, try find sisoft sandra and give it a good test after that.

Running the ram at that speed is also processor dependant as far as i know.

And if theres still no luck then make a new thread with the same as ya probally won't get that many views at the end of mine ;)

• Advertisement

yep. I got wsblast.exe :( It's set to start bombarding the microsoft site with mail from over 200,000 mails from 12 tommorrow night. Dissappointed I'll be missing out on the fun now since I got it off my machine :P

Dregin

And I didn't do a clean install jsut a repair.Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dregin-x
    Dissappointed I'll be missing out on the fun now since I got it off my machine :P
    And I'll bet part of you actually means that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

dregin try installing the appropriate patches for msblast as some of the things you are describing were occuring on my machine while i had it

Yeah I've patched up and those little winkly bits have been ironed out. Now I have to get my board to start liking my new RAM :| Marriage counselling perhaps......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

do the two pieses of ram run at the same frequency i.e 2700,2100?

• Advertisement
Advertisement