Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Decisions, decisions...(arts choices)

• 12-08-2003 5:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I think that I'll be going to UCC to study arts, but I'm totally indecisive about choosing my third and fourth subjects. I've decided on Italian and English, but want to know if there are any other arts subjects that anybody else would choose if they would/are going to study arts this year. If you've any suggestions for "easy"/useful subjects, they'd be appreciated. (Or subjects that you'd avoid).
    Go on, share. It can be your good deed for the day. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Chose subjects you have at least some interest in or that you are good at. Some subjects do have a reputation for being easier than others but this depends on the individual person studying them, as well. For example, my brother studied sociology in 1st year Arts at UCC, it's said to be easy but he found it really boring and ended up having to repeat his sociology exams at the end of the year.

I don't think one subject is more useful than another in this case - if you're only going to study it for one year, you won't have the time to advance too far. I suppose you could do say, computer science to get a taste for programming but the 1st year course only teaches basics and wouldn't be that useful in terms of getting a job in IT, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Generally I find that how well people do in a subject is related to how interested they are in the subject. For that alone, I'd agree with simu and say pick something that you find at least mildly interesting. Just bcause something is easy to learn doesn't mean that you will be motivated to take the time to learn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I completely agree with the advice above.

Also there is always the prospect that you may decide you don't want to continue on with Italian or English after first year, so I'd recommend picking at least one other subject that you wouldn't mind taking to degree level if you change your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Have the second year subject choice letters been sent yet for UCC Arts?

Advertisement