Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can i buy a wolf hybrid????

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eamanevers1

hiya,

Irish-lass - i was there today(wolf pups for sale near Gorey, they had quite a few of 'em) where did u hear that they were hybrids/inbreeding?

Regards,
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

As far as I know, these aren't even hybrids, they're husky crosses. I know someone who bought two, a male and female. The female had to be PTS due to aggression and the male has such severe epilepsy, he suffered brain damage. Both stunning looking dogs but poorly bred and certainly not wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

There is a sucker born every minute! Lots of peeps make money by selling wolf hybrids which turn out to be Husky crosses etc pp. The actual HYBRID is very rare and requires a wildlife licence ;).

And if you are thinking about getting one then read on...

Meet Chieftain:

p698273.jpg

Chief arrived here with his parents, the dad a Timberwolf and the mom a Canadian Shepherd. Some sick individuel tried to make money with them. Ahh, one thinks, why ever not? If you cross a wolf with a dog you don't get a better dog, you get a creature that does not know where it belongs to. Chieftain is extremely vocal, he howls at night (well, hello neighbour!!), he just likes to chat. He also cannot bear a roof over his head, it freaks him out, so good bye indoor wolfie AND he has big problems with other dogs... Hm, still interested? Well, read on: one needs a wildlife licence to keep such an animal, if you don't and are being found out, you face fines/jail and have your animal impounded.

Chieftain has a sister as well, she was raised in loving enviroment of peeps who have massive dog experience - and guess what? She was on her way to me as well as living with a Hybrid isn't all that easy...

Why on Earth anyone would want a hybrid is beyond my understanding unless it's for one reason only: LOOK what I've got on the lead.

And that just makes me :confused: .

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

hiya,
    i was there today(wolf pups for sale near Gorey, they had quite a few of 'em) where did u hear that they were hybrids/inbreeding?
    {

I like a few others have stopped off at that place, I haven't been in it for a few years but we stopped when we seen the "wolf cubs" up for sale sign. There was a g/s cross bitch with her pups and was no more wolf in them then there is in my terriers.

I did get to met a wolf in Ireland once and was quiet taken back his eyes strick me also got to meet 2 hybird (they were crossed with gsd) and they were something to see, but then again they will never be homed and will have to spend their life in a secure place which is the wrong thing for them. There are a few wolfs in Ireland some arrived over after in England a licence was introduced if you wanted to keep a wolf and there is a couple I know that have some (they are in rescue and will stay that way, they will never be rehomed and never be breed from).

Why someone wants a hybird is hard to imagine - either you want the whole package or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Roxie81

well said irish lass, i think i know you and you know me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

My uncle used to have a golden coloured wolf. He was really gentle, got on great with their old english sheepdog, and their kids were young at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Roxie81 wrote:
    well said irish lass, i think i know you and you know me.

I think you do in deed Roxie......the poundies sure do love you :D:p.

Give those 2 mad mutts of yours an ear scratch from me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Another consideration against getting a wolf/hybrid, is that you certainly can't get pet insurance for them. God help your bank balance if they get sick or injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

wolves have NEVER killed anyone or attacked anyone from what has been reported yet they are being called dangerous etc yet sharks attack almost EVERY day!

No?

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=wolf+attack&meta=
    If your going to bother reply to something do research before you decide to bad mouth these wolves!!

Hypocrite, no?
    Its people like ye that dont care wether they are nearly extinct or not, ignorance!

And how do you think breeding wolf hybrids will maintain the wolf as a species?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

love to see old posts getting dragged up from time to time...

Certain animals in this world where not ment to be domesticated and the wolf is one of them hybrid or no. Very right stated here a lot of "wolf hybrids" are husky crosses etc. I have seen so many people coming in with wolf crosses only to tell them they are not and finding out they have paid through the nose for them. And if we are not careful with our dogs, PB, crosses, hybrids whatever we will have plenty more dog attacks. people need to be more responsible!

• Advertisement

jules80 wrote:
    Certain animals in this world where not ment to be domesticated and the wolf is one of them hybrid or no.

Except that, to be pedantic, all dogs originated from domesticated wolves. So whether it was meant to happen or not, it has. And for the most part has worked out pretty well.

Not that I think anyone should be doing that anymore, wolves were domesticated already, so if you want a domesticated wolf, get a dog.

ok if you want to be pedantic....

Dogs were domesticated from wolves as recently as 15,000 years ago, or perhaps as early as 100,000 years ago based upon recent genetic, fossil and DNA evidence. Other research suggests that dogs have only been domesticated for a much shorter amount of time and were domesticated from populations of wild dogs, which had previously diverged from wolves.

New evidence suggests that dogs were first domesticated in East Asia, possibly China, and the first peoples to enter North America took dogs with them from Asia. Genetic research has identified 14 ancient dog breeds, with the oldest being the Chow Chow, Shar Pei, Akita Inu, Shiba Inu and Basenji. Because many of the 14 breeds are associated with China and Japan, the theory that the dog originated in Asia seems to be likely.

What ever way you look at it some animals are not ment to be pets!

jules80 wrote:
    What ever way you look at it some animals are not ment to be pets!

Indeed. Like Cats.:D

You can take that up with the egyptians!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Why would you want a wolf hybrid?

I read in a newspaper article that wolf hybrids are more aggressive than full wolves because they lack the natural fear that wolves have of humans and they inherit aggression from the dog side of the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

a german shepherd is a wolf hybrid with the wolf being bred into it about 100 years ago to create the breed.
    this is seen in the original german shepherd studbook

so there goes that 15000 years ago theory.

Demonique wrote:
    Why would you want a wolf hybrid?

I read in a newspaper article that wolf hybrids are more aggressive than full wolves because they lack the natural fear that wolves have of humans and they inherit aggression from the dog side of the mix.

it was in a newspaper. I see, it must be true.

judging breeds sucks, i hate this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

deaddonkey wrote:
    a german shepherd is a wolf hybrid with the wolf being bred into it about 100 years ago to create the breed.
    this is seen in the original german shepherd studbook

so there goes that 15000 years ago theory.

100 years ago, do you have any proof of this? Do you a copy of original studbook?
    I would pay to see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

A wolf hybrid inherats the hunting instinct and pack behaviour of their ancestors.They will allways try and climb up in the pack-your family.A wolf hybrid is-per definition not a pet.It will try to fight his or her way up in the pack order.Also,wolfhybrids a very known for having health issues, and the way the are bred in ireland is completly immoral,most of them are inbred with mother,fathers brother and sister combination.You are in for a lot of trouble and you are not doing the animal a favour, nor yourself.

If you really want a wolf like dog, take a saarloos wolfdog.They are carefully bred and have the right papers.You will have to apply for one and there are waiting lists.But at least you will have a dog you can handle.
    http://www.saarlooswolfhonden.nl/

the site is in dutch, but more than happy to help translating.If you contact these people, they do speak english.
    cheers

macshadow wrote:
    100 years ago, do you have any proof of this? Do you a copy of original studbook?
    I would pay to see it!

there's plenty of research published on the net about the history of the german shepherd breed
    a quick google search found this. people deny it at all the time, but it is true: wolves were used in the creation of the german shepherd breed.

one of the shepherds used in early breeding of the GSD was the granddaughter of a wold

the proof is here

http://www.idir.net/~wolf2dog/gsd1.htm

there's lots more references to it on the net
    i'm trying to find a scanning of the original studbook.

http://www.asuperiorgsd.com/wolf-dog.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I've eaten my hat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Demonique wrote:
    Bang on the money. The wolf hybrid problem often comes from the dog side of the mix for precisely the reasons you point out.

The other issue is genetics. If you took a pure wolf and crossed it with a pure dog, the resulting individual pups could range in temperament and behaviour from wolf to dog in the same litter. There is no way to tell what proportions of the mix you are going to get.

A pure wolf would likely be very timid and very difficult to control without expert knowledge. They are highly energetic animals. They can move huge distances in a day. They love to dig(especially the females). They are almost impossible to housetrain. They are in a constant state of flux regarding dominance within the pack, especially past the puppy stage. When they are adults they will find it very hard to accept new members into the pack. IE People. This is an evolutionary response to keeping the integrity of their pack. They are far more emotional than domesticated dogs, though if you can read the behavioral signs that is less of an issue(this alone requires expert knowledge. The angle of the tail or the ears is a language of its own. Translates to dogs too, but many don't see it). As a guard animal, they would be next to useless. Their(sensible) approach is to get the fúck out of dodge at the first sign of trouble. Aggression wise, they are far more timid than dogs. Our ancestors selected for the natural aggression and guarding behaviours as it was far more useful. They are generally more intelligent than dogs. They have larger brains, mainly because they have to feed themselves. No bowls of pedigree chum in the wild.:D

You start going "hello diddums. whose a lovely doggie" to a fully grown wolf and the chances are it'll rightfully look at you as a complete gobshíte. Same with dogs. The amount of times I've seen people hug dogs like that and the dogs take it while licking their lips(a big sign of discomfort) is not funny. Dogs aren't thick. If you treat them well, but like a dog/domesticated wolf, you tend to find they treat you well in return.

The main difference between wolves and domesticated dogs is that wolves "grow up". Domesticated dogs stay in a childlike/adolescent state. Basically dogs are neotenous wolves. Domestication in animals tends to favour the juvenile behaviour that makes them more amenable to co-existing with humans. They play and accept your dominance just like pups. Barking is a good example. Wolves tend not to bark beyond the puppy stage. It's a juvenile behaviour. They don't need to bark as they don't have to deal with the lower acuity of human ears.

If you're a hunter gatherer living off the land a wolf would be pretty good as a companion/co-worker/hairy mate in the daily survival thing. If you're a saddo in suburbia looking to increase his/her street cred then a pekinese may be more apposite. That or actually answer those spam e-mails about increasing the size of ones member.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

b) Or an immature individual looking for a 'kewl' pet, “Dermo that elk hound you have is mighty fine, but I've a wolf! Sit Fang sit.”

for the immature lovers of kewl pets i recommend.... the czechslovakian wolf dog! the name alone is likely to inspire gasps of hushed awe from admiring friends who are now embarrased by their gauche rottweilers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...and just before everybody rushes out after Saarloos Wolfhonds and Czech wolf dogs ....be informed that they are anything but easy to keep or train, never mind get.

Be further informed that (due to heavy inbreeding) both "breeds" are by now as riddled with heredetary diseases as the next dog, if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I saw the sign on the way to Wexford.

"Wolf pups for sale"

Should it not be "wolf cubs for sale" If I am right, I would be worried about the breeders ignorance.

If I am wrong, so be it, I'm not breeding them.

I have seen a proper hybred (if there is such a thing) in South Africa, it was a malamute wolf cross. It was jumpy, pretty aggresive, big, it p*ssed everywhere and dug crators in the garden. It could never be let inside, it just wrecked the place, It could never be walked on the lead, so basically it was stuck to the garden for its life. They tried lead training it, but it got to big and the instincts just took over.

An owner would really really want to know his/her beans before getting one, never go on holidays, have lots of cash with lots of spare time, a big dig proof garden, good insurance, lots of patience, understanding neighbours, no sheep in the area and a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JB1

I have encountered one of these guys 'pups' about a month ago.Blind and deaf, major health issues.The owners paid through their noses for him and are now doing the same for vet costs..and,igven the fact that most people want a wolfhybrid because it looks like a wolf, this one didn't-it actually looked like an oversized bobtail.They stated it was a timberwolf.I was a bit afraid to ask further..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

lightening wrote:

"Wolf pups for sale"

Should it not be "wolf cubs for sale" If I am right, I would be worried about the breeders ignorance.

If I am wrong, so be it, I'm not breeding them.

I have seen a proper hybred (if there is such a thing) in South Africa, it was a malamute wolf cross. It was jumpy, pretty aggresive, big, it p*ssed everywhere and dug crators in the garden. It could never be let inside, it just wrecked the place, It could never be walked on the lead, so basically it was stuck to the garden for its life. They tried lead training it, but it got to big and the instincts just took over.

An owner would really really want to know his/her beans before getting one, never go on holidays, have lots of cash with lots of spare time, a big dig proof garden, good insurance, lots of patience, understanding neighbours, no sheep in the area and a licence.
    That sign is permanently displayed

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

lightening wrote:

"Wolf pups for sale"

I saw that sign too - between waterford and gorey. I saw one running around - whitish in colour, couldn't look more as I was the driver! I'm not saying wolves are evil - but would be worried about the way they were bred more then anything. But sorry if i'm ignorant - I thought it was illegal to breed wolves with dogs? (seriously sorry if im being ignorant not trying to stir up sh*t - just wondering)
    Wolves are beautiful - I find them fascinating and would love to see them in the wild.
    All dogs have wolf in them - some more obvious to look at but they are all from the same blood history.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement