Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV ipXL billing - it just gets better and better

Options
  • 12-08-2003 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Received my first monthly statement just a few minutes ago via email.As you are all aware one months subscription costs an admittedley cheap €25.

Shame that the snakes at UTV forgot to mention that we would also be billed in advance for the next months service too.

So the total of my bill?For one months service?

€48.98

And for reasons best known to themselves the advance subscription charge is different to the presents months charge.

Well done UTV,well done.

A sound business model and no mistake :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

And for reasons best known to themselves the advance subscription charge is different to the presents months charge.

I suggest giving them a ring ref. the above

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This has been covered here several times.

Shame that the snakes at UTV forgot to mention that we would also be billed in advance for the next months service too.

This is standard practice in the comms world. Not something I agree with, but still standard practice: The same would have happened with your mobile and your ISP if you used a subscription service. The same happens with your telephone line, dedicated servers, leased lines, etc, etc.

It's most likely that the first month was partial, which would account for the difference. Perhaps you'd like them to charge you extra? :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

Perhaps you'd like them to charge you extra?

Sarcasm noted.

Anyway,I've just got off the phone and maybe someone could make sense of this for me.....

According to the girl I was speaking to the reason I have been charged for a months subscription in advance (the month being August is because "you signed up on the 3rd of July"

Obviously I queried this baffling response and she told me that "you are being billed for an extra month because your first month ran from the 3rd of July to the 31st of July"

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Well,at times like this all one can do is laugh.Anyone care to join me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by DirksDiggler
    Sarcasm noted.

Anyway,I've just got off the phone and maybe someone could make sense of this for me.....

According to the girl I was speaking to the reason I have been charged for a months subscription in advance (the month being August is because "you signed up on the 3rd of July"

Obviously I queried this baffling response and she told me that "you are being billed for an extra month because your first month ran from the 3rd of July to the 31st of July"

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Well,at times like this all one can do is laugh.Anyone care to join me?

kinda makes sense to me-cept their maths seems wrong
    your bill was 48.98 euro
    this is 25 euro for august-leaving 23.98 for July

You had service from 3rd July to 31 July which is 29 days..

so 29/31*25= 23.38..

Looks like 60 cent got lost somewhere..

Telcos/Isps generally bill on a fix day each month in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Ehh am i the only one thinking "So what?"

My bill says that during July 2003, I spent 212 hours 57 minutes on UTVip XL. So i have Call Charges of €23.80 for my hours over the 180 in July. No surprise there.

I migrated from the previous UTV service & already paid my advance subscription for the month of July (back in June).

And i've an Advance Subscription Charge of €24.95 for August, just like i've had an Advance Subscription Charge for every other month I've been with UTV.

So I have to say "So what?"... They're hardly "snakes".

• Advertisement

The problem is,or rather what irked me is that I've had to pay a months advance subscription fee.I thought I was going to receive a bill totalling €25 and thats it.

Would have been nice to know,thats all.

Anyway,its paid now.And I was assured that I won't receive any more surprises in future.

Mind you,
    And i've an Advance Subscription Charge of €24.95 for August, just like i've had an Advance Subscription Charge for every other month I've been with UTV.

:eek: What?

You mean with every bill you get theres an advance subscription charge?

That means UTV effectively costs allmost €50 per month.

Forgive me,but I'm totally :confused: now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Originally posted by pete
    Ehh am i the only one thinking "So what?"
    Nope, Your not.

June (eircon):
    1892 Internet Isdn (Subsciption internet) :
    Daytime Calls : 160 - Duration : 120h 59m 47s @ €301.26
    Evening Calls : 1 - Duration : 0h 15m 36s @ €0.16
    Weekend Calls : 35 - Duration : 26h 20m 48s @ €16.72

Total Duration of 1892 Calls : Less than 170 hours

Total of 1892 Calls = €318.15
    Vat = €66.81
    Total inc Vat = €384.96

July (utvip XL):
    Total Duration of 1893 Calls : Between 170 and 180 hours
    Total inc Vat = €48

Yes, I'm complaining. NOT ;)

Look,

The advance subscription came as a surprise to me to Dirks, but its hardly the end of the world is it? Main thing is that your NOT being screwed here right?
    UTVip is NOT costing you €50 each and every month.
    I propose that this threads effectively closed right?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There's nothing surprising happening here. You pay your subscription each month for the following month's Internet and telephony charges. That's exactly the same way that Eircom bill you. I just checked my July Eircom bill: the line rental is for the period July-September.

Obviously you can't be billed for your call charges in advance, so those are billed in arrears.

Why did you pay for July as well as August in this bill? Because you couldn't exactly pay for July in advance, having only signed up in July, now could you? The alternative would be to receive a bill for July as soon as you sign up, which would necessarily be any nicer.

August's bill will have a charge for September's subscription; September's bill for October, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

You mean with every bill you get theres an advance subscription charge?

Forgive me,but I'm totally :confused: now

At this point it would probably be a good idea if you went back and read the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

The first bill is the worst as you have
    • Part bill for current months subscription
    • Full next months subscription

Subsequent bills only have next months subscription so if you don't go over your hourly limit you only pay for phone calls thus your internet bill should be closer to €25 than €50 :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Call Charges

€4.72
    Advance Subscription Charge

€24.95
    Advance subscription charge(s) for August 2003
    Total Charge

€29.67 inc VAT

Me happy and not getting in a huff! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

DirksDiggler,

If you can find another ISP that is as open, honest and gives a fair and square 180 hour online anytime monthly package like UTVip XL.

Then you have the option to move after three months. Personally, I have never been happier with an ISP and I will be sticking with U.TV Internet.

P.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

45 yoyo - day-sent!

/me hugs utv, then starts humping their collective leg when they drop their guard.

cheers guys:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Talk about getting excited over nothing..

QUOTE]Talk about getting excited over nothing..[/QUOTE]

Bollocks to you mate.We haven't all got the odd €50 to slobber away at the drop of a a pin.

I dunno.I can't for the life of me understand the blind brown nosed loyalty portrayed towards UTV on this board.So what if you get a few yes sir,no sir and three bags full sir from their employees over the phone?So what if one of them regularly posts on this board?

The fact that they are providing an absolute crock of ****e of a service in my oppinion at least takes priority over the aforementioned facts.

Christ,as big a bunch of **** they are even an eircom flat rate service would be preferable over XL.

At least you know where you stand with them arseholes.[

Christ,as big a bunch of **** they are even an eircom flat rate service would be preferable over XL.

Ok, well life is full of choices Dirk...off with you to €ircon and their flat rate........oh, of course how absolutely moronic of me...they DONT actually have one, do they?

And why would that be Dirk??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Dirksdiggler,

Hey, are you in a mood today or what!. Listen, the only real reason I personally am sticking with and yes "defending" UTVip XL as a very good if not unbeatable ISP package deal is because they have saved me a bucketful of money!, and they are not ripping me off unlike my last ISP "The Rat". Simple as that, and I ould bet my life the reason most people on here feel the same is because it is true.

And as they say "The truth will out, in the end"

Be lucky.

All the best.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Originally posted by DirksDiggler:

Bollocks to you mate.We haven't all got the odd €50 to slobber away at the drop of a a pin.

You're not 'slobbering' anything away. It's just a matter of when you pay. Oh wow, you have to pay an extra €25 now instead of in a few weeks time?! Call the ISP police! If you can't afford the inconvenience of paying in advance for two months instead of the one, and I know it's such a huge leap, then maybe you need to re-evaluate your position and look at whether you can afford the sheer luxury of the net at all. Maybe go back to paying by the minute?
    I dunno.I can't for the life of me understand the blind brown nosed loyalty portrayed towards UTV on this board.

I hope that wasn't at all aimed at me. I'm on IOL Anytime, which I chose because while I had heard some bad things about UTV, I had heard nothing bad about Anytime. Anytime is great. I was never impressed with UTV's regular ISP services anyway, so I think I made a sensible call.

Let's be honest, this whole thread should never have been started. Throughout it you have consistently failed to grasp how the billing works. Examples :
    So the total of my bill?For one months service? €48.98

Which is wrong.

No, wrong again!

Do you understand yet how this works? You started this thread on the sensationalist charge that you'd somehow been ripped off by UTV, which you obviously haven't, and now that people are completely non-plussed about the whole affair and have no idea what you're getting excited about you just start bad-mouthing the service. The service may be crap but there's nothing seriously untoward in the billing method.

By the way, ESATBT made it quite clear that billing was advance bi-monthly. I'm surprised UTV didn't do the same somewhere..

• Advertisement

I dunno.I can't for the life of me understand the blind brown nosed loyalty portrayed towards UTV on this board.So what if you get a few yes sir,no sir and three bags full sir from their employees over the phone?So what if one of them regularly posts on this board?

The fact that they are providing an absolute crock of ****e of a service in my oppinion at least takes priority over the aforementioned facts.
    Speaking only for myself (because I think it's pretty silly to try to speak for all users of a service, don't you?) I don't have any blind loyalty to UTV. I am happy with my UTV service. I'm happy with the level of customer interaction here.

I honestly don't know what you hope to gain by ranting abusively at UTV, and indeed at other boards users. I mean, did you talk to anyone at UTV about the bill before you started mouthing off in here?

Originally posted by bugler
    [UTV's] service may be crap
    ...which in my experience, it's not...
    but there's nothing seriously untoward in the billing method.

By the way, ESATBT made it quite clear that billing was advance bi-monthly. I'm surprised UTV didn't do the same somewhere..
    They didn't have to, because it's not bi-monthly in advance, it's monthly in advance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

are you sure you're not a Rat in disguise DirksDiggler? You blast UTV and then offer a link to show interest in the Rats flat rate package (if it ever materialises). I have never had a problem with UTVXL (or the previous UTVlite). The bill is fine with me and €ircon's won't be any different (in that they will bill you in advance), although it will probably be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Dirks, you seem to have consistantly failed to understand what people are telling you in this thread. Since you want to behave like a schoolchild and start swearing at people and the inherent unfairness of this whole situation, then you should be treated like one.

Read this thread again. From the start. Out loud to yourself.

Repeat.

You can come back and apologise to the people you swore at when you finally understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Dirks, you seem to have consistantly failed to understand what people are telling you in this thread. Since you want to behave like a schoolchild and start swearing at people and the inherent unfairness of this whole situation, then you should be treated like one.

A strange thing about the consistently obnoxious and thick Dirk (including his name, a pr0n star character in Boogie Nights) is that he ONLY EVER posts on Boards in order to abuse UTV .

I WONDER who he really works for ? It think that this thread should be binned!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thank you Dustaz..... :p

Dirkdiggler, you have to pay for the service in advance. Your first bill is high because of what people have told you above.....

Lockage (yay)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement