Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Drive boosting NTL Ireland Revenues

Options
  • 12-08-2003 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Not 100% relevant here, but....
    NTL Ireland said second quarter revenues increased 25% on last year to €26.1m, while 'segment profit' increased 33% to €7.9m.

The company says it now has 53,300 customers signed up to digital TV services and 2,400 signed up to broadband internet services.

http://www.onbusiness.ie/2003/0812/ntl.html

Get the finger out, lads...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 elsoldemayo

2400 customers is pretty good considering its probably only available to 25,000 households.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Availabilityh probably increased slightly with the addition of part of Lucan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Lucan added 4000 households ISTR , lets say 30,000

2,400 connections outta 30,000 is 8%.

There is very little advertising for this product , it sells by word of mouth as much as anything else.

Naytrally, all this goes only to prove that there is no demand for affordable Broadband in Ireland, as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Muck
    There is very little advertising for this product , it sells by word of mouth as much as anything else.

Yep. My brother is in one of the upgraded estates, and he'd heard nothing about it until I told him about 6 weeks after it was done.

I'm in another estate not far away, and I'm ringing up at least once every two weeks to check, cos I know they're not going to tell me about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭raeGten

Originally posted by seamus
    Yep. My brother is in one of the upgraded estates, and he'd heard nothing about it until I told him about 6 weeks after it was done.

I'm in another estate not far away, and I'm ringing up at least once every two weeks to check, cos I know they're not going to tell me about it.

How does your brother find the service? Has he had any problems with it? How does it compare to any of the DSL packages on offer? I'm about to sign up with them and somebody warned me against doing so because of the the 'quality of the cables' that are used throughout the network. It's the first time I heard that there might be trouble with that but I understand there's been a problem with congestion in Tallaght recently (which I suppose may explain them halving the price out there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I'm on the tallaght segment, down in knocklyon, and I haven't seen any problems recently.

That said, I have nothing to compare it against, but it seems like the cheapest, fastest, and most hassle free deal around. Make sure you use the ethernet connection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by raeGten
    How does your brother find the service? Has he had any problems with it? How does it compare to any of the DSL packages on offer? I'm about to sign up with them and somebody warned me against doing so because of the the 'quality of the cables' that are used throughout the network. It's the first time I heard that there might be trouble with that but I understand there's been a problem with congestion in Tallaght recently (which I suppose may explain them halving the price out there).

He never got it :D

Not yet anyway. Time to give him anoth poke methinks....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,451 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by raeGten
    How does your brother find the service? Has he had any problems with it? How does it compare to any of the DSL packages on offer? I'm about to sign up with them

Well, dunno 'bout your man's brother but I finally got connected 5 weeks and 100GB ago :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I've heard the uptake in enabled estates in Lucan is about 15% which is very high considering DSL was available a couple of months before Cable in most of Lucan. This percentage is higher than the initial uptake of broadband as soon as it became available in the UK and on the continent afaik

Originally posted by unkel

I've heard the uptake in enabled estates in Lucan is about 15% which is very high considering DSL was available a couple of months before Cable in most of Lucan.

I was going to go for DSL but As the estate next door to me was hooked up to the cable network I thought it would be worth waiting to see what happened. No cap and far cheaper than any of the DSL packages on offer....I keep waiting for the catch but I can't find it.
    Hopefully they'll be happy with the take up in Lucan and start rolling out the service elsewhere. We might finally see some REAL competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Unkel - Hmmm....now let me see, where did I put my Download Limit cap?? :)

Really glad to see that punters who have the service are happy...long let it continue.

raeGten - all the areas that are upgraded are on new Co-Ax and to be honest much of it is fibre based (HFC Network ) with brand new optical amps - someone is telling you porkies... the top package is 600kbps compared to 512k ( at best with RADSL ) with no limits and for €40 you also get the modem. I can also assure you there is no problem with congestion...cant even imagine where that came from?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

I don't know what kind of spanners NTL have doing door to door sales for them, but a colleague of mine was complaining about the fact that they keep knocking on his door trying to sell him broadband & just couldn't see why he should bother....

It took me about 30 seconds to convince him to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,451 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by crawler
    I can also assure you there is no problem with congestion...cant even imagine where that came from?? :)

Can confirm this. Have downloaded more in the last 5 weeks than in the almost 8 years I have had internet at home before that. Imagine how incredible this comparison is :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, this has cost me €50 (plus installation charge). Don't even want to think about what the previous dial up has cost me over the years, but I reckon I could have bought a new family size car for that. Thanks Eircon :mad:

Go competition and go NTL for offering an excellent deal in the current Irish broadband environment

Originally posted by crawler
    all the areas that are upgraded are on new Co-Ax and to be honest much of it is fibre based (HFC Network ) with brand new optical amps - someone is telling you porkies...

Thanks crawler. That's pretty much what I thought. It's funny the kind of rumours and rubbish that get spread aound. I thought I'd best check with Boards and see what the real experience of NTL Broadband was.
    Looking forward to it all the more now.

Advertisement