Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony - different model?

Options
  • 12-08-2003 2:49pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I have bought a new Sony widescreen TV from powercity.

But here is the interesting thing, on the receipt and delivery document it says the model is a KV32FX68TNS.

Which looking up google seems to be the UK and I assume Irish model.

However what actually arrived is a KV32FX68B.

It seems to be the exactly the same TV, however it seems to be a European model, as the manual is in French, German, Spanish and Italian but no English!! Also I think they may have replaced the power cable, as it doesn't say Sony on it.
    The TV seems to be made in Spain.

Other then not having an English manual will this cause any problems for me?

Also given that the model number is very slightly different on my receipt compared to what I actually have, will Sony still honour the guaranteee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

power city tend to do that, they buy the sets from europe and bypass sony ireland meaning any issues will result in u having to rely on power city ( to which they often reply, "t6hats not our probem, go to sony") or to go directly to a repair centre urself, sony ireland probably wont honour any guarentees (spelling?) as the set was not bought from them and if they took on a repair it would cost them money for sumting they didnt sell in the 1st place, and what company deliberately takes o other peoples problems that will cost them money , thats just bad business. just out of interest, did u get a stand r did that cost extra, cos another thing they do is buy the sets from abroad cos they work out cheaper for them but to ship all those stands from europe would cost lots so they buy the stands from ireland and usually sell them seperately. by the way if u went to a dealer who buys from ireland ( sony centre i no, not sure who else) u get the Irish/British model at the same price if u give them the quote from power city. anyway, with a bit of luck ull have no problems and a repair issuewont come up, english manuals can b ordered from sony if u need 1.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes I got a stand also.

I might already have a repair issue, the TV seems to be making a very audible buzzing noise.

Damnit that is what I get for buying from Powercity.

What do you think I should do know?

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

If its making a buzzing noise I would unplug it!!!

Seriously, I would pack the whole thing back up and hotfoot it down to Powersh1tty and ask for a replacement model. If they start getting shirty, starting quoting Sale of Goods Act, you know the drill: must be of merchantable quality, fit for purpose, that sort of thing.

In addition, there is always the Small Claims Court.

Otherwise, try get your money back and buy from the Sony Shop getting them to match the price as Stekelly said.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Oh boy what a morning I've had.

Talk about speaking of the devil.

I switched on the TV this morning and it went from stand by mode to being dead!!!

I rang Sony Ireland and they said that the KV32FX86B IS the model that they sell in Ireland and that there must have been a mistake with the manual and that they would send me out an English manual.

I got onto Powercity then, who put me onto another company that supports these TV's. The bloke there says this happens with this model all the time. The problem is that the is only a 3 amp fuse in the plug and to replace it with a 5 amp fuse and it should work fine.

So I'll try that this evening.

As for the buzzing, well according to a thread on avforums, this seems to happen with most Sony widescreens :(

BTW Thanks tallpaul, I've got the Sales of Goods and Services Act of 1980 and the Consumer Information Act of 1978 printed out and on hand if I need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yeah the buzzing thing is basically there with most of the tv's, but if its loud enough to hear wen the tv's volumne is above 1 r 2 bars then its a problem, you shoud only be able to hear the buzzing really if ur down on ur hands and kness about 10 inches r closer to the tv, buit of course if its a bit louder and you cant hear it from where u sit, then i wouldnt be worrying, only if it actually distubs u while watching tv

• Advertisement

First of all changing the fuse in the plug from a 3 amp to a 5 amp did the trick and the TV is now working again :)
    Originally posted by Stekelly
    yeah the buzzing thing is basically there with most of the tv's, but if its loud enough to hear wen the tv's volumne is above 1 r 2 bars then its a problem, you shoud only be able to hear the buzzing really if ur down on ur hands and kness about 10 inches r closer to the tv, buit of course if its a bit louder and you cant hear it from where u sit, then i wouldnt be worrying, only if it actually distubs u while watching tv

The buzzing could be heard while sitting about 2 meters away and only became inaudible when the sound was turned up over a third of the way. It is much louder then what you normally get with a TV.

However it seems a lot less noticeable now, I think it might just happen when you initially turn on the TV and it takes a few minutes to warm up or something like that, or perhaps my mind has just blocked it out now.

I'll give it a few days to see how it goes, I haven't really gotten a chance to put it through its paces yet with DVDs (Matrix, Crouching Tiger, Blackhawk Down and LOTR should be a good test) and gamecube. I'll really see how it does after the weekend.

BTW to everyone who responded, thanks for your help.

Advertisement