Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offputting First Tracks?

Options
  • 12-08-2003 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

Have you ever listened to the first track of an album, and thought "This is Shit" and stopped listening to it? Then at a later date, you are pleasantly surprised to find out that the rest of the album is pretty bloody good?

Its just happened to me on the Future Kings Of Spain CD. The first track is absolutely dire, but the rest (for the most part) is really good stuff....

Anyone else got any notable offputting opening tracks?

- Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

roots manuva - dub come save me

for the first few listens it sucks pretty bad, really starts to grow on you after a while tho.
    the final track is, imo, one of the greatest pieces of music ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Not really, but I've had the opposite experience way too much. You take a chance and buy a cd, first song is great, and then it's all downhill. Putting your strongest song first is a well known tactic on the demo, unfortunately some bands seem to have kept up the habit.

These days, I am always wary of albums who have their flagship song as the first track of the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Originally posted by TmB
    Have you ever listened to the first track of an album, and thought "This is Shit" and stopped listening to it? Then at a later date, you are pleasantly surprised to find out that the rest of the album is pretty bloody good?

Its just happened to me on the Future Kings Of Spain CD. The first track is absolutely dire, but the rest (for the most part) is really good stuff....

Anyone else got any notable offputting opening tracks?

- Dave.
    The first time I listened to the QOTSA album I *hated* the first 4 or 5 songs and I kept listening only coz I was told it was great... well, the rest is amazing and after a few listens I'm starting to enjoy the first half too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

i agree with buglar. the new radiohead album (hail to the thief) is like that. the first track is great, then it decides to jump into a bucket of sh1t straight after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Yep that happens quite a lot too: "All my life" from the Foo Fighters is probably the best rock tune of the year.... the rest of the album is rubbish :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

tori amos, venus and back, the first and last tracks are terrible, but like a custard cream, the good stuff's in the middle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Queens of the Stone Age album that starts with that ****ing 'marijuana, nicotine and alcohol' song.

I hate that song - the lyrics remind of a 16 yr. old writing a really 'cool' song.

The rest of the albums pretty good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Its called 'Feel Good Hit Of The Summer'. Its supposed to be a p*ss take. I doubt there goign to pride themselves on it or anything. The rest of the album is class don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

Marilyn manson --- Holy Wood. Godeatgod is the worst song ever. The rest of the album rocks (save the odd filler moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Foo fighters last album was the exact opposite. I thought All My Life was rather good, but the rest of the cd is tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Foo fighters last album was the exact opposite. I thought All My Life was rather good, but the rest of the cd is tripe.
    Yep that happens quite a lot too: "All my life" from the Foo Fighters is probably the best rock tune of the year.... the rest of the album is rubbish

Can't believe this.. It's certainly a poor album all in all, but I think "All My Life" is most definatly the worst and most annoying song on it.

dum-dum.. dum-dum-dum. dum-dum-dum. dum-dum-dum. *ad nauseum*

How can you stand such bollocks? Most annoying, unimaginative and downright SHîT guitar line i've heard in a long time. On the other hand, i think "Low" is probably the best on the album, certainly a lot more pleasing than the opening track.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Originally posted by Spacedog
    tori amos, venus and back, the first and last tracks are terrible, but like a custard cream, the good stuff's in the middle :)
    Firstly, I'm sorry for bringing up an old thread. Did I search for Tori and this came up. But anyway:
    Spacedog: you're telling me that you think "1000 Oceans" is "terrible"?! Please tell me that was a mistake! Please... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Type O Negative's album World Coming Down... first track is Skip It... fakes a cd skipping... I just let it play cause it doesn't quite sound like a cd skipping but I know of someone who instantly switched the album off in horror. :p

Tim Buckley's Goodbye And Hello has a goddawful opening song but just gets better and better through the album... And Jeff Buckley Live At Sin É... not the first track but just his opening line... "This is a song about a dream" followed by me screaming "NOOOOO! DON'T SOUND LIKE THAT! NOOOOOO!"... thankfully I let it play. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by Kopf
    Can't believe this.. It's certainly a poor album all in all, but I think "All My Life" is most definatly the worst and most annoying song on it.

dum-dum.. dum-dum-dum. dum-dum-dum. dum-dum-dum. *ad nauseum*

How can you stand such bollocks? Most annoying, unimaginative and downright SHîT guitar line i've heard in a long time.

Totally man. Foo Fighters used to be very good but now have just plumped themselves on the very average radio-friendly zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

platinum breaks volume one... the first track on the first cd has an intro that goes on for bloody ages.... thought it was **** and was just about to throw out the cd in disgust.... then it kicked on... "unofficial ghost" is now one of my all time favourites but i still hate the intro... thats a fat compilation by the way... proper wide angle urban breakbeat science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

Title track on The Replacements Hootenanny album. The band is drunk and they've all swapped instruments. It's funny once or twice but no more. The rest of the album is a punky bar band classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Originally posted by Sinecure
    Firstly, I'm sorry for bringing up an old thread. Did I search for Tori and this came up. But anyway:
    Spacedog: you're telling me that you think "1000 Oceans" is "terrible"?! Please tell me that was a mistake! Please... :(

'fraid so, compared to the rest of the album. both Bliss and 1000 Oceans were taken off the album as singles, 'Riot Poof' is one of Tori's best songs imo and would have made a perfect single. Cant please all the people I suppose tho.

Advertisement