Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocking a 3000xp to 3600xp

Options
  • 12-08-2003 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

i want to overclock my 3000xp to 3600xp without having to flash my bios and im a bit of a n00b at these things so i would a be griefull for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Firstly you need to post more information about your system, ie Motherboard, cooling, Ram......

You prob wont have to Flash your bios at all. Stock cooling with the Xp3000+ is crappy (have an Xp3000+ myself) so i wouldnt recomend going too far with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

To get a 3000 up to a 3600 you are talking clock speeds of about 2.67GHz from your 2.167 which would require some very nice cooling .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

ASUS A7N8X Motherboard and its says its comes with Coolermaster Approved Fan with speed controller. Also plz note i do not want water cooling

my ram is 1024 of pc2700 and graphics has yet to be confrimed between a gf fx5200 and 9800pro anything esle u need?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by thomasmckinless
    my ram is 1024 of pc2700 and graphics has yet to be confrimed between a gf fx5200 and 9800pro anything esle u need?

Those GFX cards are polar opposites. Surely you mean a FX5900 or a Radeon 9800?

Also, I ran Athlons at 2.7GHz, with a Prometeia super cooler. Unless you get an extremely good chip its unlikely you will break 2.4GHz with anything less than top end water cooling. A Prometeia would most likely still be required for 2.6+.

Matt

• Advertisement

how far could i go with the standard cooler and how far could i go with a really good fan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

As far as i remember the 3000 was in tests not too happy to overclock very far so i would really think about if it is worth it first, do u really need more speed?
    Ok, stupid question coming from me, a good choice if you wnated to go faster than your curent system would have been a 2400Xp with the 256 Kb L2, not 512!! this have shown some quite nice results and i think there is a good chance it will even outperform the 3000.
    Even cheaper option is the 1800Xp which with some nice cooling, preferably water cooling should be able to run 2400 Mhz
    Really with standard air cooling keep an eye on the temp and try not to go higher than 60 degrees!

Nitrox are you trying to make me cry ffs! my 3000xp that i ve paid cn be out done by a dam 2400xp

Ermmm, if your going for a budget overclocked a Tbred B Xp1700+ will outclock the Xp1800+ almost every time.
    A good Xp1800+ willl do 2300Mhz, a good Xp1700+ will do 2500Mhz on air.

Almost every Xp3000+ will do 2.4ghz, and that should be on air results. The extra cache will mean the Xp3000+ will outperform the Xp2400+ at the same speed .

I think theres not much hope that the Xp2400+ will out perform the Xp3000+, im at 2400Mhz with a Crappy Volcano 7+ (Xaser II case)- you would need to run your Xp2400+ at around 2.5/2.6ghz to get simular performance.

With a very good air cooler, 2.5ghz is possible (80cfm fan) - over that water cooling will almost definetly be needed.

Originally posted by COL_LOKI

Almost every Xp3000+ will do 2.4ghz, and that should be on air results. The extra cache will mean the Xp3000+ will outperform the Xp2400+ at the same speed .

With a very good air cooler, 2.5ghz is possible (80cfm fan) - over that water cooling will almost definetly be needed.

Ok, i admit i am no expert at this, but from the tests i have read the extra 256 kb L2 only helps when lots of the same data will be used for processing, and in normal use this doe snot happen enough to see and serious advantage over the 256 Kb L2 models.

Also i read that the Barton core not overclock as well as the TB.
    Would give my right hand for a proper 1700 XP, but they are not sold in any irish online shops anymore, and i just dotn want to pay that much getting it from uk, rather go for the 2400 then which i hear overclock rather well also.

And yes, i am running some serious water cooling, so heat is not an issue other than my room gets damn hot after just one hour...... ww)

• Advertisement

Try www.excaliberpc.com , they have guarenteed Tbred B Xp1700's. They will export it for $12 shipping AFAIK.
    Xp2100+ is suppose to be another good overclocker, should clock to atleast the same as the Xp2400+.

Make sure if your getting one to get the dlt3c as apose to the dut3c as the "L" means it has a stock voltage of 1.5V and the "U" means stock voltage of 1.6V . Ie you have an extra .1v for overclocking :) .

The new bartons are aparently more refined and people are now getting great overclocks from their Xp2500+'s, average would be 2.2ghz - 2.4ghz on air - even 2.5ghz !!
    The Xp2500+ seems to be making people very happy and with water cooling you'll be laughing - mite keep it in mind eh !?!

I agree with you that the extra cache isint always benificial and most of the time it performs on par with the Tbred counterpart, but im thinkin AMD must have some reason for it increasing the Pr rating ie games etc, so im just going on that.

Where did you get your water cooling, am just about to get an Slk900u & TT smart fan - would think seriously about water cooling if i could get it some bit decent price & knew it would perform. How do you find yours?

Nearly went for the TT water cooling and god that would have been a mistake. Have grown wiser since then :)

Thanks Loki, great new information to me!
    How do you buy from that US shop, is the 12$ the only extra for shipping to Ireland??
    Also do you not risk paying extra to the customs?
    Very interested in buying from US, but i dont want to end up paying 50% extra because of customs and shipping.

As for water cooling it is great, gives you the option of a very quiet system or a very effecient system, in both cases way better than most or all air cooled heatsinks!

I got myself this kit from Germany, and i must say i am very happy with the build and quality of the system, but the shop leaves a lot to be wished for, will easily take a month before you get your stuff, and do not count on any information or support from the company, it simply does not excist!!
    The kit might look a bit expensive and i suppose it is, but it is a high end system and you really get what u pay for!!
    If i should suggest a well tested complete system i would say go for the Danish company Asetek, they have a very nice kit which include heat sink for Cpu, Gpu and chipset and all for a very fair price!! not just saying this because i am Danish, it is really a nice kit from the makers of vapochill.

That kit looks like a good kit you got Nitrox. Is that 2 120mm fans on your rad?

The 2100 is a good overclocker mine isn't as good as most peoples as it needs a lot of voltage to do anything . It does 2.3GHz at 1.9V and 2.4GHz at 2.06V. I tried for 2.5GHz at 2.15V but i would fail prime straight away . It would probably take 2.2V to get to 2.5GHz. I have my 2100 over 6 months now so they would have improved since then.
    The extra cache on the barton is worth an average of 100MHz from looking at different benchmarks. Sometimes more sometimes less.

Im not 100% sure about customs, a tiny package like a cpu should easily slip through shouldnt it?? Wouldnt be that much anyway. The Xp1700+ dlt3c from excaliberPC are averaging @2.3ghz on air cooling !! Alot have dont 2.4ghz (also air), so if your lucky 2.5ghz should definetly be reachable. Other than that an Xp2500+ is a good bet.

That water cooling looks very very nice, might try to fit it into a sonata case and really see what my Xp3000+ is made of. Thanks for the links, asetek available in ireland?? Ok so looks like im going for water cooling then :D .

AFAIK that is the only other extra €12 for shipping. They will charge a little more than "retail" cause there guarentee'n ya a good chip.

Yep, that is 2 120 mm Pabst fans on the radiator, very cool stuff!!
    But really only go for this company if you are in no hurry and you are sure you will never need support on anything!!!!
    As for Asetek i am not sure you can get it in Ireland but there is a lot of places in the UK and i am sure you can get it many other places also, it is a nice and easy kit anyway!!

Was talking to a friend about which CPU to buy last night and he highly recomended the 2100 which he himself was running at 2500 mhz. The 1700 should be able to do the same, but i gues this takes a bit more!!
    The 2500 should be stable around 2400 mhz and maybe 2500, so i am not sure if the extra L2 really does smake a difference.
    Will see if i can get my Nf7-s sold along with the 1800 i am running on it now and get a new mobo first.

Am wondering why you would want to sell the Abit NF7-S ?? Im just after getting that board and im mad about it. Is is a revision 2.0? what did u have in mind other than that??

Have an Xp1800+ dut3c myself and the max is 2300mhz (posting) and 2150mhz fully stable, how is yours performing??

As reguards support for the water cooling, i dont think ill need it as ive never used any support lines for anything tech based.

Have been reading reviews on the innovatek water coolers and it seems to be a good choice. The main thing is there is an irish based company stocking them www.hitide.ie , and would rather deal with an irish based company if possible!!
    There also very well priced & stock a good range - worth checking out me thinks.

Asetek look pretty sweet but the only place ive seen them that will deliver to ireland is www.overclockers.co.uk , and the kit is expensive & carraige is just under €40 !!

My board is either 1.1 or 1.2, i want the 2.0 also.
    My 1800 is running stable at only 1800 Mhz, think i must do something wrong as any higher then that i get no post and the machine just start beeping away, what is your settings??
    Another explanation could maybe be a bad stepping also, i am not sure about this.

if u want to slip it past customs tell the seller to write childs gift on the packaging!

Xp1800's come in 3 cores, Tbred A, Tbred B, & palimino.

Am betting you have an Xp1800+ Tbred A core. The B cores will do atleast 2ghz - 2.4ghz, Tbred A normally stop at 1.8ghz, and palimino cores just barely get over stock.

Ahh now i see why your upgrading....... what board you have in mind??

Just want to upgrade to the Nf7-s 2.0, but looks like Komplett will have to get me that one while i might still go for a 2100 at that US site

But for now, it is almost time for the main event, Lavalan :cool:

• Advertisement

I take it like me your thinkin along the lines of SATA, mabye the Raptor ?? Am going to wait until thats more mainstream & lower in price.

That seems like a very nice combo, should hit a pretty decent speed. Cant wait to see what my chip will do with a little W/Cooling.

Here are the cores of the [edit] Palimino chips, 10 is the best overclockers....... (revision code)

XP1700+ AGOIA (10) AROIA (9) AGKGA (8) AGOGA (7) ANGKA (6) ARKGA (5) AGNGA (4) ARNGA (3)

XP1800+ AGOIA (10) AROIA (9) AGKGA (8) AGOGA (7) AKYGA (6) AGLHA (5) ARKGA (4) AGNGA (3)

XP1900+ AGNGA (10) AROIA (9) AGKGA (8) AGOGA (7) AGLHA (6) AGOIA (5) AGKGA (4)

XP2000+ AGOIA (10) AROIA (9) AGOGA (8) AGNGA (7)

XP2100+ AGOIA (10) AGOGA (9)

Stepings...
    TBred A - AJUGA (10) AIUGA (9) RUIGA (8) RIWGA (7) RIRGA (6) AIRGA (5) AIRDA (4) AIRCA (3)
    TBred B - AIUHB (10) AIXHB (9) AIUGB (8) JIUHB (7) AIUCB (6) JIUGB (5) JIUCB (4) AIUAB (3)

Bartons...............

Stepings -> AQXEA(10) AQXDA (9) AQUCA (8) AQXCA (7)

Thought this might be helpfull......

Loki

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    I take it like me your thinkin along the lines of SATA, mabye the Raptor ?? Am going to wait until thats more mainstream & lower in price.

Thought this might be helpfull......

Loki

Way ahead, got some nice Maxtor 120 Gb SATA drives 2 weeks ago before Deathcon 3.
    Running them as Raid 0, so no redundancy, but plenty and plenty of speed!!!
    Raptors may be a bit faster, but it is really not that much and for the price you pay pr. Gb i just could not justify buying them.

Here are the cores of the Tbred chips, 10 is the best overclockers....... (revision code)
    XP1700+ AGOIA (10) AROIA (9) AGKGA (8) AGOGA (7) ANGKA (6) ARKGA (5) AGNGA (4) ARNGA (3)

XP1800+ AGOIA (10) AROIA (9) AGKGA (8) AGOGA (7) AKYGA (6) AGLHA (5) ARKGA (4) AGNGA (3)

XP1900+ AGNGA (10) AROIA (9) AGKGA (8) AGOGA (7) AGLHA (6) AGOIA (5) AGKGA (4)

XP2000+ AGOIA (10) AROIA (9) AGOGA (8) AGNGA (7)

XP2100+ AGOIA (10) AGOGA (9)

These are palimino's not thoroughbreds.
    Stay away from these.
    My 1900 ran at about 1756MHz if i remember right at 1.85V
    They weren't good overclockers.

I see you visit overclockers forums COL_LOKI.
    There is some good info there.

Yup great forum !! Doh , i know pali's are crappy overclockers - run very hot aswell.

What system are you running at the min ??

Hey nitrox, do you find much difference in speed when compared with the ordinary H.drives?? Definetly agree with you the price per gb is a little crazy with the raptor.

XP2100 on the NF7-S with a 9800 grapics card.
    CPU and graphics card are both watercooled .
    Going to finish making me NB block tomorrow only have to make a top and solder it together. Hopefully it will improve me max fsb from 224MHz.

Advertisement