Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Ideas ?

• 12-08-2003 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I'm a student working the IT industry for the summer (I got a job) Now I've just finished first year so I've a bit of time still but this is my problem.

I dont like sitting on my ass all day! Like I'm doing work (programming / web dev) Which I really enjoy. But I hate being in the office all day I'm sure the current heat wave is adding to that hate :)

But has anyone got any ideas of what type of area in IT I could get into to avoid sitting at my desk all day... takeing 15 min breaks and getting up every hour to get some air or whatever.

Yup Cheese cake indeed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I think sitting at a desk all day is almost an IT occupational hazard.

Although I do a lot of my work from my office at home (since I got DSL), so I take regular breaks into the back garden and enjoy the sun. Tried taking out the laptop with the wireless card, but it's so hot you can't get any work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by damnyanks

But has anyone got any ideas of what type of area in IT I could get into to avoid sitting at my desk all day... takeing 15 min breaks and getting up every hour to get some air or whatever.

Yup Cheese cake indeed

Yeah.

It's called middle management.

You get to play golf... and make noise, as opposed to doing work.

You get paid for it too.

Phrases you'll need for a career as such.

Fore.
    Good idea boss.
    Meeting business requirements.
    Going forward.
    Consultative process.
    Issues.
    Operational meeting.
    Proactive management meeting assessment consultation process.
    Think out of the box.
    Microsoft <blargh> business meeting.

Best yet, you can bang on about technical things you have no clue about.

Quote.
    "Microsoft's .NET 'framework' brings the business consultation to product delivery process one step further up the ladder. .NET, helps you think out of the box, with automatic code generation. Avoid the need for lengthy requirement assessment consultations, with the new autofeature bug".

You buy your own set of golf clubs and then consult, meeting business requirements, by taking your client's to the golf range and letting them kick your ass.

Only skilled sycophants need apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Dont like your managers TypeDef ? :p

Well at least I havent been burned yet for moaning about having a job when lots are looking all be it only summer work but still. Now sitting on my behind isnt the worst thing. Really I dont wanna be stuck in the same office day after day after day.

Maybe contracting is my best bet ?

Advertisement