Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RADSL Modem Recommendations

Options
  • 12-08-2003 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

I was going to post this in the Modems and Routers sticky but that thread is more router orientated and stale.

I wil be getting Netsource next week (SOHO DIY) - I need to get a DSL "modem" for use with the service. I do NOT need/want a router.

I see a Zoom(hayes) unit on Elara but it seems to only do PPPoA.
    Eircom use an Alcatel unit which seems good (from a proper comms company too).
    I want the best quality most flexible unit.

What do you recommend (money no object)?

tribble

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by tribble

I see a Zoom(hayes) unit on Elara but it seems to only do PPPoA.

It will terminate either pppoe or pppoa, but as you only want to use it as a modem you need one that supports RFC1483/2684 bridging (essentially 'modem' mode) and NOT pppoe. Good news is that (almost) any DSL router can be configured to this mode, including the Zoom, looking at the spec sheet.

Eircom use an Alcatel unit which seems good (from a proper comms company too).

Eircom don't sell Alcatel (or any other 'modems') any more - their ADSL packages are only available with routers now (Netopia 3341 )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

ooo, looks like I got some reading to do.

hudson806 - you seem to know your stuff - would you care to recommend a modem capable of doing RFC1483/2684 bridging.
    I have this thing for the Zoom (something to do with Hayes the first brand of modem i bought - sad I know).

thanks,

tribble

/me goes off to readup

Originally posted by tribble
    would you care to recommend a modem capable of doing RFC1483/2684 bridging.
    I have this thing for the Zoom (something to do with Hayes the first brand of modem i bought - sad I know).

As I said, almost any router can be reconfigured as a bridge and just pass the pppoe session through to your NIC to be terminated by client software on your PC.

As regards which one, there really isn't any difference - by switching on bridging, you are disabling all of the intelligence in the modem, and offloading all the work to your PC.

If you want to do that, you may as well just pick the cheapest one you can find. The Zoom will do the job though, judging from the spec sheet on the Hayes website.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

or you could go with something like this (which does your 1483) and also gives you some extra switch ports and a stateful inspection firewall...

http://www.alliedtelesyn.co.uk/webmaster3/files/allied/Website/ProductSupportDocs/Document/AR250E_UK.pdf

let me know if you would like a price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Re: the Encapsulation mode

Do we use..
    .. RFC 1483 Bridged
    .. RFC 1483 Routed
    .. RFC 2516 PPPoE (This is what I was told to use)

(For IOLBB)

[In this case the router/modem is hooked up to the DSL phone line. The ports are hooked up to my 2 PCs, and a wireless link to my laptop]

Also -- does Esat have some sort of lease expiration? I never seem to be able to stay connected longer than 6 hours..

Thanks

PS - The modem I use is Linksys ADSL Modem/Gateway/Router/4port Swich/Wireless @ http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008XYIT/ref=br_lf_ce_3/202-0333402-9970258

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bazooka
    or you could go with something like this (which does your 1483) and also gives you some extra switch ports and a stateful inspection firewall...

Though its worth bearing in mind that if you use it in bridge mode, none of the firewall features can be activated (on any router, not just this one).

Seriously, if you want a bridge, just buy the cheapest POS you can find, as all the other features (bar the number of ports, which isn't very useful as you can only use the service on one PC at a time anyway) are unusable in bridge mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Kewl - thanks guys - i'll be feeding the modem into a IpCop or Smoothwall firewall eventually anyway - ar the moment it's going to go into a redhat box.

I'll probably go with the Zoom.

Cheers Everybody,

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I had a G-tech USB modem which i bought from marx computers in clontarf for €75, did the job without problems once it was setup (which is a bit difficult).

Advertisement