Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XB Games and Xtravision

Options
  • 12-08-2003 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi Clownboy

I work with the guys who do all Xtra Visions adds. I just saw the ads for the XBOX Rentals today... Looking pretty good. Unless something has happened in the interim... Put it this way, I hope I am right and you are wrong. I will place a call in the am and find out. I for one am sick of buying XB games only to find they are crap. At least renting first would sort that out.

WNxVolKraGh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

I read this and read it again. Then read the charter, I could have swore you couldn't make a thread talking to one person in particular.

Thats at least what i think this means...

All i can say is: 10-day NO FUSS RETURN my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

the "Post Reply" button is situated in the bottom-right section of the screen.
    it can come in very handy at times, especially if you want to continue a conversation on the same thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Originally posted by Rnger

Other than game do any shops do this? Does anyone know what Smiths return policy is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Smyths return policy is similar to everyone expect GAME.

They only give refund if the disc is faulty and returned in 28 days of purchase. Exchanges are given on a good will aproach, e.g. "I bought this for my bro and he has it. Can i change it for something else?"

Ok, thanks. I wonder what Games reaction would be if they saw you coming in every second day to get a refund on a game. Hmmm

• Advertisement

My mate Paul is known on a first name basis in GAME on henry street. he brings back everything.

I got him a PS2 outta the job on discount. He went into GAME a few days later to buy some games and they were going mad that he had one.

"When can we expect the games back, Paul??"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i brought SOF2 ( xbox ) took it back after 2 days and exchanged it for another game, and was told by the lad in game ( blanch) that i only had one exchange left as i had brought a game back a few months before . he said that you only have 3 exchanges,

now all i was doing was exchanging the game for another game,
    i wounder what would have happened if i asked for my money back??

if only that were true:mad:

Don't mind then in Blanch. They hate me in there because they try **** like that and i refuse to play ball.

They hate it when i go in, pick up a game and go to pay for it.

GAME-"Thats 60 euro"
    ME-"No. Its only 45 euro in Smyths. Price gurantee"
    GAME-"I'll have to ask the manager"
    ME-"okay"
    GAME-"He said he'll let you have it for that price"

And that exchange **** is aload of crap. The only way they can pull that is if you brought back a game, exchanged it, then exchanged the replacement and exchanged that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

From what I've seen, here's another way they can pull it off;
    ' Hey you, you're always exchanging games in here! F*** Off!'
    Whilst the company rarely gives a damn either way, most sales assistants feel like you're taking the mickey when you constantly exchange stuff. Oh, and they have new posters in Blanch Game, '10 Day No Fuss Return' is now '10 Day Return'. It appears fuss is ....optional.

well if i was bringing my games back every few days i would expect to be told to fcuk off!!

as i have only taken 3 games back over a 4/5 year period, i'd expect him/her to keep there fcuking mouth shut and just change the game.

one game i really should have brought back was tribes 2 , but no i waited too long hopeing it would work for me ( god how i rue that decision ).

was in game ( blanch ) today and never saw the new posters, but seen plenty of % off sale posters,

maybe they should change that " no fuss 10 day returns "
    too " 10 day return " on there till receipts also .

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong!!

I'm not one for exchanging. Only do it now and again. And its usually only after a day or two. They hate me because i have LIVE and i demand discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

What i usually do is go to CEX in London where i get games at silly prices like 10pounds then bring it back here, play it, take it to game and say 'My auntie bought this for me but i already have it :( no i don't have a reciept... Oh i can exchange it for 60euros of stuff? I suppose thats alright.....'

But tbh games are so overpriced anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Just thought you'd all like to know that games will now only be exchanged when accompanied with a reciept. full stop. Aparently this thread (or one like it) was noticed by the heads and no the 10-day return policy is being strictly enforced. No reciept, no exchange. And if that game has already been exchanged on the reciept, then good luck to ya.

Well done for shooting yourselves in the foot

Just thought you'd all like to know that games will now only be exchanged when accompanied with a reciept.

suits me just fine , as soon as i get home with my game i put the reciept in the game box and leave it there.

Well done for shooting yourselves in the foot

when you have people bringing games back within a few days and exchanging , exchanging, exchanging and abusing a returns policy just so they can have a new game every week, thats what fcuks things up for the rest of us.

cutting back on my game purchases, so i'm being more selective with my money off late and the games i spend it on , so i'm looking forward to xtravision renting xbox games .

Aparently this thread (or one like it) was noticed by the heads

heads of what?? game , or game blanch

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I think some people forget that this site can be viewed by anybody. I suppose that the games board can be used as a powerful feedback tool on the views of Irish gamers.

Originally posted by Q_Ball
    No reciept, no exchange. And if that game has already been exchanged on the reciept, then good luck to ya.

Are you new or something?? because that has always been the case with GAME. Even if you had a GAME price sticker on the case and just wanted to exchange it because you bought it for someone who already had, GAME would tell you where to stick it. They would offer you a trade-in rate as an apology.

If the GAME heads are looking at this forum, they should be reading what we think of their stores and staff and not exchanging. I think GAME are the biggest rip-off and the rudest staff.

Especially, when i rang **** street looking for UO and was told they had none. Pop in later that day and was told there was none. Then i saw 7 cases on the shelf and they all of sudden found them in the store room.

I take all my trade-ins to Gameworld, who offer a better price, have nicer staff and are atleast an Irish company.

And Xtra-vision will have Xbox from Wednesday onwards. The xbox games will also be included in the gamezone discount club. I'm pretty sure rentals will also happen on Wednesday.

I hope so. Sick of exchange!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Games shops have an understanding with publishers (probably enforced by law) for most games (if not all) whereby all returns end up the responsibility of the publisher to pay for. I haven't studied my business in ages, but at this point the notion of exchange is mute, anything you take instead should be considered a new purchase - eg, like receiving a credit note and then spending the credit note immediately. Very rough on that stuff, but what I'm getting at is the amount of exchanges shouldn't really be limited, except to stop silliness. Perhaps people should make a fuss and push for credit notes so they really don't have to spend the money regained from their returns straight away.

Either way, the game shop isn't getting hit for your exchanges, nor is it even the publisher (in just about every case, the publisher passes this onto the games developer as part of their royalty deduction costs). I would be concerned with people who exchange games constantly and probably copy them before they send them back even if they like the game. So they buy one game, and effectively get 3 or 4 games by the time they've finished. At the end of the day, its not the game shop who gets hurt, or even the publisher, instead its the developer who takes the brunt of the costs. If games shops try to stop obvious abusers of the system, then thats fine by me.

Originally posted by clownboy
    Are you new or something??

Not quite. I'm speaking first hand here.
    because that has always been the case with GAME. Even if you had a GAME price sticker on the case and just wanted to exchange it because you bought it for someone who already had, GAME would tell you where to stick it. They would offer you a trade-in rate as an apology.

I was referring to kold and everyone else like him. Sorry if i wasnt clear.
    If the GAME heads are looking at this forum, they should be reading what we think of their stores and staff and not exchanging. I think GAME are the biggest rip-off and the rudest staff.

They hear what customers have to say. There is a customer care number (albeit an english number i'll admit) that is freely available. You think with all the stores GAME have in england and ireland that noone complains??? Besides if you have that much of a problem and staff dont help then call for a manager.
    Especially, when i rang **** street looking for UO and was told they had none. Pop in later that day and was told there was none. Then i saw 7 cases on the shelf and they all of sudden found them in the store room.

Perhaps you should have voiced your concern to a manager or at least call the staff on it? Why keep a grievance to yourself and air it here when it's more beneficial to both you and GAME to express it at store level.
    I take all my trade-ins to Gameworld, who offer a better price, have nicer staff and are atleast an Irish company.

Thats fair enough and I'm sorry to hear GAME have lost a customer because of bad customer service. Its always the worst way to lose a customer because its the hardest fault to reconcile.

btw

Clover, it was noticed by one of the main regional heads in GAME, who reported it back to blanch. Funnily enough once i read about it i knew it was on this board somewhere :p

Perhaps you should have voiced your concern to a manager or at least call the staff on it?
    B]

It was the manager i was talking to on the phone. The manager was also serving that day with a rude idiot. Now I have to admit there is a sound tall skinny guy with brown hair in that store who is really helpful and knows his kung fu. But mostly the rest are rude.

I have to say that Dawson st are a cool store but in general Gamesworld have had the nicest attitude to me.

Now don't get me wrong, i don't think that all game staff are idiots just the experiences i have had with certain GAME staff have been terrible.

Gamesworld to me have proven to be the best for customer relations in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Perhaps you should have voiced your concern to a manager or at least call the staff on it? Why keep a grievance to yourself and air it here when it's more beneficial to both you and GAME to express it at store level.
    Ah he probably should. Maybe he even did. He's probably thinking though that by letting us all know about the incompetence he had to deal with a number of times on the same day will make the rest of us wary of dealing with such incompetence ourselves and might encourage a few of us to wander into Gamesworld or Smyths instead. He's probably right.

I'm glad to see that you're not branding all the game staff because of your bad experiences with one store :) I dont like people getting the wrong impression of me cos of an experience they've had with someone else you know? ;)

Course you have every right to go to gamesworld if that makes you happier. I'd do the same if i was in the same position.

Back on topic.

I wonder if x-box rentals will end up like the N64 rentals they had? (rarely updated and sold off relatively quickly)

I wonder if x-box rentals will end up like the N64 rentals they had? (rarely updated and sold off relatively quickly)

Probably. Even though chartbusters still update their GBA games as far as I know and I don't know anyone who's ever rented out a GBA game.

Sceptre, I just feel it's unfair to come in and criticise a store and / or staff when no action was taken to try and rectify the situation first is all. If it was said to a manager and the person was still unsatisified then yeah i'd have no problem and i'd prolly do it myself ;) its not directed at anyone in particular, just in general

Right lads,

From tomorrow Xtra-vision will have atleast 30 xbox titles for rent. I have confirmed myself tonight. Plus a good load for sale. Some of the sale games will be in the gamezone discount club.

So now they're renting, you have no excuses for exchanging all the time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Crunch

is that ALL X-travision, or just a select few in the capital?

And by the way, is there a Gamesworld around Blanchardstown? (the one in Douglas in Cork has excellent helpful staff)

I'm not sure is there is a Gamesworld in the blanch area. I know there HQ is in blanch. goto www.gamesworld.ie and you can see the location of all their stores. Plus you can buy games online of their site.

Now, about xbox and xtra-vision. It is definitly Dublin wide and mostly likely Nationwide. So no worrys. Don't know about Northern Ireland, Don't care!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hickz

Hi all

I have been reading this thread for the last couple of days
    saying to myself great on wed i can goto xtravision and rent
    a couple of new xbox games, so today i went to my local
    xtra vision and signed up, and then when i went to rent two
    games i was told i couldnt until i rented out 10 films :(
    man that sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

That sucks Hickz. Its probably a ridiculous security measure they have, or perhaps its to make more money...

Went into the Blackrock Xtravision today, pretty good selection of games. Will begin renting soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hickz

Yeah your right man, but somebody else had told
    me that you had to give them a 20 euro deposit when
    you rent out a game, which would of been a far better
    security measure oh well only 9 more film rentals to go :)

Advertisement