Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W32.Blaster.Worm, Who Got it?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Originally posted by bazH
    You know them personally, tbh only the weak get infected, patch your system up, use a firewall etc, have up to date AV software.

Like for instance, here on this 50 user network, one machine checks for updates off the net twice a day, all other machines connect to this AV local machine to request updates.

Unfortunately our main email server got infected, but hueristics picked it up as an unknown virus, and quarintined it. I ran the removal and bingo bango, we`re clean.

Do you drink JOLT cola, webmonkey

I agree with what your saying allright. I was also planning in doing a job there for 900 computers on a network..were going to install Norton Corporate Antivirus but the deal fell through. Its quite a cool system. :)

As for JOLT cola? wth? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Shamo

Just checked my Firewall logs, still getting loads of hits to Port 135 from Esat IP's (I'm on no limits).

Loads of people must still be getting hacked.

Originally posted by Shamo
    Just checked my Firewall logs, still getting loads of hits to Port 135 from Esat IP's (I'm on no limits).

Loads of people must still be getting hacked.

its so damn easy to hack with this secuirty hole . Dont' it to my own laptop there...2 second job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I got alerted by boards - downloaded the patch and everything is AOK - texted a few people I've done work for recently and told them to ring me if they got hit - they texted back laughing at my 'nerd paranoia' and then rang me later - they'd all been hit!

By the way - I heard that some PC repair companies in Dublin were charging home users €150 a call-out to fix this thing... now that's just immoral...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

i got da durty bastard on my home pc, me new laptop, me ma's pc and my effin car pc!!!
    only found out what it was on friday!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I just cannot help but laugh at the people who have got it, it very well might be evil but its funny none the less

That'll teach ya for not looking after your pc......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

Originally posted by Cabaal
    I just cannot help but laugh at the people who have got it, it very well might be evil but its funny none the less

That'll teach ya for not looking after your pc......

shouldnt laf at others misfortune:mad:

plus howd u know that we don't look after our pc's.??
    just cas u dont got a firewall dont mean u dont look after ur box!
    i got xp pro and nortn 03 updated every sunday.

i'll guarantee that at some stage either past or present u will also get a virus or need to format (hope fully u wont) and if u believe in that stuff u just hexxed urself aswell.
    if u gotta laf do it private like

This buffer underrun was not our fault couldn't have stopped it. A firewall just stopped the hackers/virus - the threat was always there until you downloaded the patch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Originally posted by Killah_B
    By the way - I heard that some PC repair companies in Dublin were charging home users €150 a call-out to fix this thing... now that's just immoral...

Immoral? Fair play to them. You would prefer if the IT communtiy gave free advice and free fixes and didnt bother feeding their families? Just because you know how easy it is to fix doesnt mean another guy can't make a buck doing it.

MOst of the time, IT pros have to put up with cheap-ass customers that want "just one more thing, WHILE YOU'RE HERE".

I charge a flat fee for any work I do on PC's - wether it's 4 hours work or 15 minutes - some customers get a great deal and others have to pay more for easy jobs, it all works out in the end, and I still get to eat.

Originally posted by yankinlk

MOst of the time, IT pros have to put up with cheap-ass customers that want "just one more thing, WHILE YOU'RE HERE".

Agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Can it be transmitted at a LAN?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by joc_06
    shouldnt laf at others misfortune:mad:

plus howd u know that we don't look after our pc's.??
    just cas u dont got a firewall dont mean u dont look after ur box!

Ok I'll hold back just abit, if your on a 24/7 net connection and you don't have a firewall of ANY kind your just askign for trouble in one kind or another.

The patch was avfailable for what, 3/4 weeks thats plenty of time to use windowsupdate.

Besides when it comes down to it, MOST virus problems happen because stupid frickin muppets open stuff they don't have a feckin clue what it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Clinical Waste
    Can it be transmitted at a LAN?

I'd guess so, it takes arbitrary IP numbers based on your current network connectivity afaik... regardless if your connected to the internet or not an infected computer could still spread it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

bugger.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

When the worm came out my xp was safely patched and behind kerio.

After toying a bit too much with some software I had to reinstall my system.

So I reinstalled XP and SP1, connected to windows update in order to make an image of XP with all the latest patches.....
    After 2 min in the update process I got the now infamous msblast pop up .

reinstall re sp1, but installed kerio before updating this time

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by joc_06

So how the hell did you get infected? Even xp internet connection firewall combined with no more than 1 week old Norton virus definitions picked it up afaik?
    Originally posted by Fabre
    So I reinstalled XP and SP1, connected to windows update in order to make an image of XP with all the latest patches.....
    After 2 min in the update process I got the now infamous msblast pop up .

Now that IS unlucky m8 - only way to prevent this is to have a recent image backup of your OS partition with up to date virusscan handy - who does this every week though? - not me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

So a goof few of my friends and family have got this worm. So i'm just wondering whats the order to get rid of it. Like should u install the patch and then run the removal tool or vice versa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by suppafly
    So a goof few of my friends and family have got this worm. So i'm just wondering whats the order to get rid of it. Like should u install the patch and then run the removal tool or vice versa?

There are links on the thread starter, all the info about the worm and removing it and about the patch that microsoft released.

Advertisement