Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 second delay

• 13-08-2003 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I cant stand it anymore..
    it use to be that the 2 second delay in internet explorer, even when I got broadband, could be got use to. But now it's going up to 4, 5 ..7 seconds. Its not the speed on netsource, as I am still able to download things at over 50kbs..

Can anybody help? none of my friends who have broadband have this problem, webpages are near instant..:rolleyes: :mad: :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

do you mean when you intitally connect?

i'm on iol, and when i connect it takes about 60-90 secs for any data to transfer initially, after that its ok tho. super fast then!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭²°°³webkev²°°³

not when i connect, when i click on a link or refresh a page.. even on superfast sites like google-groups or yahoo!?!

hows your computers specs? if its got a bogged down HD, or low ram maybe its just not displaying the pages initially even if they're retrieved as it takes your hardware longer to process the info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

try another browser. e.g. mozilla
    www.mozilla.org

other than that i don't know. try pinging boards.ie or yahoo.com and see if its a latency issue and not the browser. if the pings are low, its the browser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

yea this happens to me as well.. i notice it most on boards.. :/ and im not netsource im IOLbb and its speeds and latency are good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by ²°°³webkev²°°³
    not when i connect, when i click on a link or refresh a page.. even on superfast sites like google-groups or yahoo!?!
    Do you mean a couple of seconds of a delay from when you click a link/refresh before the whole page loads?

another thought, you;re browser is probably set to only show the webpage when its fully downloaded into your cache. which is why there's a delay

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

ive always had that with ISDN, even when i had cable. Like your conn freezes for 10 seconds, then comes back. Didnt effect me games so I dont know if it was an ie problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Dar that was your toaster imo, nothing to do with the connection :p
    Off Topic: Any news when you'll have ur DSl dar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its a netsource problem..prolly a overloaded router.

Why am i certain of this?..

Used to be a solo user..now a Netsource one..

If i'm bold and use my old Eircom connection..which still works btw..pages load very fast ...on netsource there is a definate 1-2 sec delay, however downloads are fine, so can live with it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

try this

before doing it, backup your registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CurrentVersion/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace

expand it, and delete both keys there, i have XP and i had that delay too but that trick gave me a huge boost, no delay at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Interesting, where did you get that tip from, and why does it work?

V hesitant to go mucking about with the registry unless there is a good reason to.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

its the browser, get opera or mozilla and it'll fix it.

try another browser. e.g. mozilla

has anyone done this yet...

Longfield

i don't remember where i got it from, but everytime i reinstall my system, i always do it, and nothing ever happens, and my IE runs like wild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

OT: When I was upgrading Mozilla today I saw their new browser on their site, Firebird. They've really outdone themselves this time. It's outstanding. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Mutant oh yea! MozillA!!!!!!!!!!!! it's a very powerful browser, it kicks operas ass hard, download Mozilla Firebird, and get to know it, you'll love it!, i never thought i'd switch to another browser from IE, and Mozilla really kicks IE's ass, first time in my computer usage years, i have other browser as a default, Mozilla Firebird has loads of very usefull plugins(extensions as mozilla calls them), from link checker to download sorter(you just click save as on a file and depending on the extension, mozilla saves them to the appropriate folder you pointed in options) it has tabbed browsing, with a plugin can make mozilla remember the windows you had opened when u crashed, so there is no you'll lose information when you crash, has a pop-up blocker, has very neat interface, you'll love it, try it

forgot to add, by enabling pipelining in options, it smokes IE's and opera's speed

i got firebird these last few days, and its truly surperb, none of this "2 second lag" its instant. get it at http://texturizer.net/firebird/ and tell me if it solves the problem.

btw, where is this pipelining option?

thought of another thing... are you typing in the url's as follows: yahoo or google

or are you typing" www.yahoo.com or www.google.com

If you are doing the former, it can take an extra few seconds for the pages to reslove to the .com or .net extension.

• Advertisement

Enable Pipelining

Pipelining is an experimental feature, designed to improve page-load performance, that is unfortunately not well supported by some web servers and proxies. To try it out, add the following code to your user.js file:

// Enable pipelining:
    user_pref("network.http.pipelining", true);
    user_pref("network.http.proxy.pipelining", true);
    user_pref("network.http.pipelining.maxrequests", 100);

more tips

http://texturizer.net/firebird/tips.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Why is the file for Mac OS X nearly twice the size of the Windoze version.

11 Meg for a web browser is crazy . . nearly up to I.E. standards.

I prefer Safari for Mac, its quick, its small and never f****s up.

With regard to the time lag the original poster commented on . . have you manually set the dns server addresses in your network setup - if so are they the correct ones for your ISP.

You could also try setting them to eircoms dns addresses as follows:

Worth a try, it cured problems I had with certain sites.

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/camino/
    Well to make up for the big version of firebird they have another browser that's just for you mac ppl.

i'm on iol, and recently, every 5th page (or so) i go to load or whatever just sits there at the page with the link on it, till i open up DOS and do a ping test, which gives it a kick, this never happens in games, just when browsing. kinda annoying though!
    might see if i can find a prog that runs and permanently pings a site or something.

Advertisement