Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Ferguson buy again?

• 13-08-2003 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Ferguson was asked if his spending had now finished. He told Sky Sports: ``We try to prepare for the season but there is no knee-jerk reaction to things. We like to try to plan and have no plans at this moment to add to them. ``It would have been nice to have had another defender. It is something we are exploring but nothing is jumping out in front of us. Maybe we are a little bit thin there with injuries.''

Well will he buy more?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Its hard to know. He was interested in Trabelsi but he will now be cup tied for the Champs League cause he played last night. Puyol may prove to be a little pricey so he may have to look somewhere else. Possibly Ayala, Fergie is a long time admirer of the Argentine but a deal has never materialised. If he does make a splash into the transfer it will need to be soon.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by AthAnRi
    Its hard to know. He was interested in Trabelsi but he will now be cup tied for the Champs League cause he played last night. Puyol may prove to be a little pricey so he may have to look somewhere else. Possibly Ayala, Fergie is a long time admirer of the Argentine but a deal has never materialised. If he does make a splash into the transfer it will need to be soon.
    I hope Ayala comes. He'd be a great addition to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Having read a lot of posts by ManU fans over the last week or so I have been brainwashed into thinking that the squad needs no additions. Hope I didn't get the wrong end of the stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

We need another world class defender. Puyol or Ayala and we will have the European cup in the bag i reckon...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

He hasn't actually said he's not going to buy someone. He usually says when he is finished buying.
    Looks like he's keeping his options open.
    They definitely need another 1 or 2 backs.
    I suppose Keane and Fortune can fill in so that means that another 1 will probably come in.
    Ideally he wants someone as versatile as O'Shea and Silvestre who can play Full back as well as Centre Half especially.
    Puyol would be a great signing but it's debatable whether Utd have the cash to get him or are willing to pay the asking price.
    Other than Puyol I can't think of anyone available at the moment that Utd would buy.

• Advertisement

I think Valencia are keen to cash in on Ayala, so ye may be in luck. They seemed to be trying to start rumours of him going to Liverpool after our friendly with them. We said he didn't want him so to save face he said he would only move to a club much bigger than Valencia and Liverpool are no bigger than Valencia.

To cut a long story short - he would probably go for a move to United.

If abramovich had not taken over Chelsea, i thik we would have made an offer for Gallas. What a versatile brilliant defender he is. Another one we would love to get is Kuffour off Bayern...but yes thats highly unlikely...european rivals etc. Puyol is the likely target imo. Valencia have a deadly team actually with cannizares, aimar and ayala...nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

He has bought mostly young talent sofar, you think in will stick to this trend? Trabelsi would suggest so i guess... but i think the utd defence needs expierence......I think his ideal signing would be thuram for a player who has what utd really need...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I reckon he will buy a youngish defender. He was reported to be after Medjani but the Pool got him. Someone said it earlier that he is building up a young squad to emulate his previous treble so I reckon 2 young defenders could be on their way

Originally posted by UbahOne
    If abramovich had not taken over Chelsea, i thik we would have made an offer for Gallas.
    If Liverpool had of beaten Chelsea on the last day abramovich probably wouldn't have bought Chelsea. Oh what difference a day makes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

I am glad the pool lost and I'm glad he took over chelsea cos i hate the pool. But besides that, I think ferguson will buy an experienced world class middle age 25-26 year old versatile defender who can play in two positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by 50Cent
    I am glad the pool lost and I'm glad he took over chelsea cos i hate the pool.

What a mature response:rolleyes:

So because you hate Liverpool you are glad Abromovich took over.

Whatever the hell does that mean?:rolleyes:

Shake fist at immature responces:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Oh shutup. What the hell is wrong with what i said?

Im a Utd fan. I hate the pool. I am glad they lost. I am glad RA took over chelsea because it creates more exitement and tension.
    So because you hate Liverpool you are glad Abromovich took over.

Yes i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bort

It seems that Fergusen wont buy again as Sky sports news are reporting (not that that means much) that the spending is finished until perhaps christmas. But i dont think they need another defender. Silvestre looked brilliant there on sunday and O'Shea is naturally a central defender. I just dont see the point in spending 15 million on a short term injury problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

He's looking for a right back - Man Utd got scared off going for Escude because Rennes reported them to UEFA for tapping up the player. Glen Johnson was the player they should have gone for as soon as West Ham were relegated.

"no knee-jerk reaction to things" - yeah right.

Veron was only sold because Chelsea offered some money for him - no clubs in Italy or Spain were interested. But Kleberson was lined up as his replacement by Mystic Ferguson only weeks before the Ronaldinho transfer fell through. :eek:

Paying £12.24M for an 18 year old player isn't a knew-jerk reaction either. They were planning to bring him to Old Trafford next year but rumours were that Chelski were sniffing around and Liverpool had already expressed an interest in the player.

What exactly is a knee-jerk reaction?

Originally posted by 50Cent
    I am glad the pool lost and I'm glad he took over chelsea cos i hate the pool. But besides that, I think ferguson will buy an experienced world class middle age 25-26 year old versatile defender who can play in two positions.
    LOL, what is the average life expectancy around your street?

Whilst 50Cent can be a little too blunt at times, i agree with what he said. I too am glad RA took over Chelsea. I hate liverpool too and I am glad he took over Chelsea instead of Arsenal or Pool DEFINITELY.

Why shouldn't i be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

They can get Puyol if they want him. Barcelona pretty much have to sell someone or find a wad of money under their matress or they could be facing a transfer ban as Boca are raging over the fact theyve not received full payment for Riquelme and Betis are similarly annoyed over Alfonse.

They have the cash. Its just a question of whether they want him or not.

GRAB HIM! Best cb in the world...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

OK, I have officially heard it all now!! If Carles Puyol is even in the top 20 centre-backs in the world I'll eat my hat. What world do you live in? It isnt one with Sky Sports showing La Liga, I can tell you. Puyol is the best defender in a terrible defence! He's a converted right-back for a start. He cant head the bloody ball and his positioning is terrible!!! He is quick though and is a great man-marker. But if Utd want him for the future as one of their centre-backs- as a Pool fan I sincerely hope they get him and pay the price being mentioned. In a CL game against Dunphy called him the "worst defender I have ever seen play at this level". Jeez people- stop believing Championship manager and the tabloids and look at the players in a game situation...:mad:

• Advertisement

What in the name of Christ? He is...clearly. Hes got great pace, hes an exceptional marker. His positioning is excellent. And it is mainly due to La Liga on sky sports.

oh and this is the same Dunphy who thinks keane was not at fault in the world cup...oh now i gotta believe it.

Championship manager is good and all but its stats are ****e...so no im not going by championship manager.

oh and this is the same Dunphy who thinks keane was not at fault in the world cup...oh now i gotta believe it.
    You weren't in that room:D

originally posted by Bannor What exactly is a knee-jerk reaction?

I think its a rash decision in this case. If you want to know what a rash decision I think spending 10million on El Hadji Diouf is a good example. He was bought simply because of his performance in the world cup which wasn't even that spectactular. He only scored 1 goal. Robbie Keane scored 3 and was sold to Tottenham for 3million.
    oh and this is the same Dunphy who thinks keane was not at fault in the world cup...oh now i gotta believe it

Maybe we should stop this conversation right now. Leave the past where it belongs, in the past.

As for puyol, I'm not overly impressed with him either. He is certainly not a centre back and even if he was he is far from the best in the world. I recknon fergie will plunge into the transfer market again for a defender cause Silvestre may be a worry after picking up an ankle injury last night

That is such a crock of crap athanri - pool had arranged the transfers of both Djiouf and Diao before the world cup. It was not based on a handful of performances.

What in the name of Christ? He is...clearly. Hes got great pace, hes an exceptional marker. His positioning is excellent. And it is mainly due to La Liga on sky sports.

Championship manager is good and all but its stats are ****e...so no im not going by championship manager.

Name one game in the La Liga season where he was man of the match? And if you think his positioning is good, you should try playing football every now and again. He is no better than Wes Brown.

Sorry p.pete, I wasn't totally sure whether or not they had completed the deal before the world cup or not. I had heard rumours during the WC that Liverpool were interested in Diouf and that no deal had been struck. I went with the assumption that the world cup had made up GH's mind hence the high price.

I was just responding to Bannors post about C. Ronaldo. While I totally agree that 12.24 is a steep price for a teenager so was 10million for Diouf. But I disagree that the purchase of Ronaldo was a rash decision. Fergie had shown an interst in the lad for approx 9 months. He always planned on getting him but he had to act fast as Chelsea, Real Madrid and Liverpool as you already know. So i guess its kinda a similar stuation.

The purchase of athanri was not rash but ye were ripped off. Time will tell wether he lives up to his name - certainly if he fulfills his potential 12mil will be cheap. The value for the player was half that earlier in the season though.

btw - why use the example of djiouf when you have perfectly good examples in veron and ferdinand?

In no particular order:
    Cannavaro, Nesta, Iuliano, Ferrara, Kuffour, Cordoba, Ferdinand, Gallas, Hyypia, Campbell, Henchoz, Montero, Terry, Ayala, Curro Tores, Pellegrino, Capdevilla, Thuram, Maldini(when 1 of a back 3), Simic, Favalli,Stam...and believe me I sould go on are all far better defenders than Puyol.

Because p.pete it would be a bit pointless to make a comparison to United player when my point was that its not just Fergie that pays over the price for a player he wants. But now I'm just getting confused so I'm going to drop it.

But you are right Veron and Ferdinand are good examples of over priced players, but as Andy gray said if Rio plays for United at the heart of the defence for the next 10 years, which could easily happen then it might not be a waste of money after all. But these I think are a better example of how a club hikes up the price when Utd or Real Madrid become interested in a player. As for Veron, I still think he is a good player and a little disappointed he was sold.

As for Ronaldo, As you say time will tell. I live in hope

• Advertisement

you should try playing football every now and again.

Oh you mean for someone like St josephs, Sallynoggin? Ye im there already man.

Maybe we should stop this conversation right now. Leave the past where it belongs, in the past.

Dont over react. I stated something the same way everyone else here is stating something.

Oh ye, and what are you on about Diouf?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Puyol is easily one of the best players in the Barca team and he is an extremely good defender. the same way ROnaldinho is the best up and coming midfielder in the world, the same way Real Madrid Ronaldo is the best striker in the world...ALL MY OPINION.

Puyol is easily one of the best players in the Barca team and he is an extremely good defender. the same way ROnaldinho is the best up and coming midfielder in the world, the same way Real Madrid Ronaldo is the best striker in the world...ALL MY OPINION.
    Marct was merely pointing out that your opinion (which you are perfectly entitled to) is most likely wrong. You should actually thank him for setting you straight;)

Puyol is easily one of the best players in the Barca team and he is an extremely good defender. the same way ROnaldinho is the best up and coming midfielder in the world, the same way Real Madrid Ronaldo is the best striker in the world...ALL MY OPINION. [/B]

Puyol is the best defender in the Barca team this year with Patirk Andersson injured.There is nobody denying that he is good. But this is a far cry from saying:

][/QUOTE]
    ][/QUOTE]

You cant expect to say something as crazy as that on a public forum and not expect to be called up on it...

p.pete your comments can kiss my ass.

You'd like that though? ;)

Puyol was easily one of the best defenders in the 2002 world cup. he was outstanding and he was outstanding last season in a sub standard team...hes a world class defender...simple as that.

Opinions are nice but facts are better. Here is a link to a stats site you may be interested in. It shows the top performing defenders in La Liga last season. Now statistics are'nt concrete proof but I'll take the word of people who actually get to watch all the season's games in a league we would'nt be as familiar with as the PL. Oh, by the way, you might notice a 'world-class' absentee...:p ..no wait, I'm wrong- there he is at 47th place!
    http://www.soccer-players.info/archive/december_02/primera_division/defenders.htm

• Advertisement

Oh ye, and what are you on about Diouf?

Right now I don't know myself but I had a good argument in my head at the time. But at least I can admit when I'm wrong.
    Dont over react. I stated something the same way everyone else here is stating something

I don't see how posting one line on a notice board is an over reaction?

And yes you are entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else here is, so if your not happy about peoples responses to those opinions maybe you should keep them to yourself. Just My opinion. ;)

p.pete your comments can kiss my ass.
    Is that an OPINION or and offer;) ?;)

Cool site Marct, thanks - that should keep me busy for the afternoon:D

lol Pete... :D

Anyway...
    Right now I don't know myself but I had a good argument in my head at the time. But at least I can admit when I'm wrong.
    ROFL ye sure....

Ye you were wrong. And who can proove me wrong when i say Puyol is one of the best defenders in the world especially when he is at right back? who can proove im wrong?

http://www.spanish-soccer.com/forum/viewthread.php?fid=5&tid=512[/QUOTE]

this is from a spanish soccer forum...

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4452042,00.html

In a lot of the team of the tournaments.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/soccer/news/2002/07/02/soccer/

Again in the world cup best of the best team...

Originally posted by p.pete
    Cool site Marct, thanks - that should keep me busy for the afternoon:D

NP:cool:

• Advertisement

Actually on closer inspection do you have any details on how the points are compiled? There only seems to be a brief explanation on the site.

I only ask because Hencoz appears in 100th place. Fair enough he is out of the first 56 due to not playing 75% of the games - but out of the rest this seems unusually far down. Abel Xavier with 15 fewer appearances is 19 places ahead of him:confused:

Im trying to find out why Puyol is doing so **** on that list...with so many others ahead of him...bull****. Im trying to find out if he was injured or something that year...know where i can go?

Im trying to find out why Puyol is doing so **** on that list...with so many others ahead of him...bull****. Im trying to find out if he was injured or something that year...know where i can go?
    Those are the stats for people who played at least 75% of games apparently. The ratings do seem a little odd. Are they biased towards players that will attack and get crosses or goals? Also is there different criteria for the scoring of attackers and defender (to answer my own question, I guess so or else rating the keepers would be a farce).

seems like a complete crock of **** to me...

this is from a spanish soccer forum...][/QUOTE]

Ok, this is starting to get daft because no matter what anyone says your mind is made up. But on your points. In the Spanish Soccer forum, someone says Alpay is the best defender. 'Nuff said

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4452042,00.html

In a lot of the team of the tournaments. ][/QUOTE]

As for the team of the tournament in the WC, by that rationale Diouf is one of the best strikers in the world as he is in a lot of the teams on the link.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/soccer/news/2002/07/02/soccer/

Again in the world cup best of the best team... [/B][/QUOTE]

SI is an American mag and they have Tony Sanneh(!) in the world cup best 11. Get a grip on yourself!:mad:

seems like a complete crock of **** to me...

I think its time to agree that you're wrong...I mean disagree;)

Ye but the majority say Puyol...whats your point?

AND FFS WILL YOU LEARN TO QUOTE? You press it once, put the text in and do it again...Can you comply???

Marct Diouf is one team...and that doesnt qualify him for the best player in the world. Give me more links to back it up...

Im prepared to go on for as long as this takes...

Im anything but wrong...wtf does that site you posted mean with all the stats? One fecken site...at least i gave a few of others who share my opinion.

Ye but the majority say Puyol...whats your point?

AND FFS WILL YOU LEARN TO QUOTE? You press it once, put the text in and do it again...Can you comply???

Marct Diouf is one team...and that doesnt qualify him for the best player in the world. Give me more links to back it up...

Im prepared to go on for as long as this takes...

Im anything but wrong...wtf does that site you posted mean with all the stats? One fecken site...at least i gave a few of others who share my opinion.

I have'nt taken the time to learn how to quote because I am not a student and I have a job! I wasnt trying to prove Diouf to be one of the best players in the world- the point was that performances in one tournament dont necessarily qualify someone for being world class .i.e. Schillaci in WC 90, Amokachi in WC 94, Poborsky in WC 96 etc.
    If you are going to be an arse about it here is a link to individual defender stats in the WC02 from the Fifa website:
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/02/en/t/st/id/tc/index.html. Puyol is there but far down the list. But none of this matters as all of the stats sites can be dismissed as easily as opinions. If you really think Puyol is world class fair enough. But all the cb's I mentioned earlier would do a far better job for Utd. Put it this way, as a Pool fan I hope ye get him.

End of rant!

ye its very hard to press the quote button once and then again...poor you. You must have a very easy job...licking stamps???

I think Puyol is world class. I think your the one being an arse, you cant accept that. I dont know and you dont know wether those guys you listed earlier would be better or as good at Utd. Sure as a pool fan, you have problems yourself you want to get sorted...

however i wont go off topic...

Im an account manager for IBM actually. You can think what you like but I do know that those CB's I mentioned would do a better job for Utd as I am a real footie fan- I watch La Liga, Serie A and the PL (Ah the wonders of TiVo :) ) as well as try to get to every Cork City match I can . I go to four games a year outside of Ireland.Three at Anfield and one outside of the UK.
    Nice try in trying to deflect attention away from the stats provided to you though, it really worked and the whole board doesnt think yer talking through yer arse... no go on away the adults are talking!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement