Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Drive Options

• 13-08-2003 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Howdy everyone,

My not-so-trusty DVD ROM drive finally packed it in. I need to replace it, so I'm looking for opinions/reccomendations on what's available at the moment.

I've looked at komplett, elara and marx. I've heard good things about Toshiba DVD-ROM drives, but I've only seen one in marx, and its the most expensive I've seen, at €60.

I don't mind spending a little extra to get a quality drive that'll last, as oppossed to a low-grade piece of **** like the artec/ultima drive that just died. Ideally, I'd like it to be quiet (low-vibration), and capapble of reading sub-channel data from CDs.

If anyone has any reccomendations on what to look at, or more importantly, what to avoid, I'd be very greatful.

Thanks,

MH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Spoonman

I got the toshiba from marx a few weeks back, its a good robust drive. You need to flash it with a hacked bios tho to if you want to be able to rip dvds at full speed (its locked to 4x max in the bios, in an attempt to make it quite).

Bit expensive but like you say, dont mind spending a bit extra for quality. I dont really notice it much louder either unlocked, especally when watching dvds. Unlocked it rips DVD5 at near 12x and DVD9 at 8x.

Advertisement