Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Exchange 2000 users here? (using Dial up)

Options
  • 13-08-2003 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭

I was hoping that someone here has an Exchange 2000 server on Windows 2000 server setup using a dial up account, preferably Isdn.

If you want to get to the whole point of this thread skip to ****

My issue is that on sites with broadband and "always on" connections, we have no problem's sending and receiving emails, but setting up this email system using schedule's and dial up connections is a nightmare.

Right, for instance there is one site that has the Ex2k + Win2k server setup, with ISA installed and Isdn modem. Now we have setup the Exchange to schedule dial up to happen every hour, once the hour comes up, Exchange sends the emails, ISA picks up the request for internet access, ISA dials up, emails are sent and while the connection is alive, Eircom.net send down emails to the static Ip of the Isdn modem.... so lovely, it works fine.... but the problem is:

If there are no emails in the schedule going out, exchange will not try to send emails which in effect, does not send a request to ISA to dial up, which means no emails are received on the hour, only when the internet connection is alive.
    Ordinarly this would not be a problem, but there are only 10users on the network, so 5 hours could go by and no emails are in the schedule, so no emails are coming in.

So, basically I'm looking for a batch/script file or program which I can put on the server, which will send an external email every hour, or every 30mins. For example, at 12:15, this script kicks in and sends an email to ando@boards.ie . The email goes into the schedule queue waiting to go out. At 13:00, exchange sends request to dial up to internet so as to send email. Once that email is sent, EircomNet push down incoming emails to the server.

any help welcome :)

Advertisement