Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We will build you

• 13-08-2003 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Howdy in a few weeks time i'm gonna have bout €800 to build me a new computer. My old one has been fried since may but i'm away for the summer so it doesn't matter.

I'd like some help/discussion picking out the parts if you's wouldn't mind and i'll probably go for an amd system due to pricing.

Just a couple of initial questions,
    I haven't seen a massive development in the motherboard market recently or in amd's processors is there something huge just around the corner that i should wait for?

Also i want the computer for gaming (the new stuff thats being mentioned doom 3, hl2 etc.) music, internet and college work.

What i don't need

monitor, keyboard/mouse, dvd-rom, cd-rw, sound card speakers

What i have to get
    Case with psu, motherboard, processor/hsf, ram, graphics, dsl modem, new 7200ppm hdd

What i was thinking

bout 300 for motherboard, processor and hsf

bout 100 on ram half a gig required at least i suppose

i want the case to look good and have at least a side view panel so i can get neon stuff, cold cathodes, rounded ide's etc.

bout 150 for case and p.s.u

bout 250 on graphics

not sure what processor or motherboard to get, what type of ram i should use CL and all that stuff, or whether to get an ide hdd or a s-ata one?

and the big graphics card question nvidia or ati and which one

Opinions people? how should i spend my money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    Just a couple of initial questions,
    I haven't seen a massive development in the motherboard market recently or in amd's processors is there something huge just around the corner that i should wait for?
    Well the 64-bit Athlon's are due to be released next month. That'll be pretty huge. Even if you don't want one, it'll probably bring the price of the XP range down.

Advertisement