Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Accommodation still a big issue for students

Options
  • 13-08-2003 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/1185579?view=Eircomnet
    Accommodation still a big issue for students
    Wednesday, 13th August, 2003

The issue of affordable accommodation continues to be the most fundamental issue facing students who are either about to embark on a college career, or simply returning after the summer break.

A USI spokesman told ireland.com that while availability was slightly up on last year around the country, students were being forced to compete with professionals and many were working up to 30 hours a week to finance themselves through college.

A report in today's Irish Times highlights just one of the problems facing students in the property market with the cautionary tale of how three young people seeking accommodation in Galway handed over a €1,000 deposit to a landlord who has since disappeared.

Students were advised today to check out accommodation first hand, to meet the landlord and read leases carefully before handing any money over.

Student leaders in Galway said more accommodation was available but high prices were causing major problems for students.

USI western area officer Mr Dave McCoy said some landlords were demanding "exorbitant deposits" and students were being asked to sign 12 month leases despite their term time being much less.

He said there was little point in having laws and regulations to protect tenants if they are not properly enforced.

The USI called on the Government to ensure that tenants' rights were protected and that students were also offered some measure of protection from "cowboy landlords".

The union is conducting a survey of unregistered landlords which it hopes to publish next week. USI president Mr Will Priestly warned that the results would "not make pleasant reading" for the Minister for the Environment, Mr Cullen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I wish students would shut up about accomodation.
    They are not the only ones effected by accomodation problems.
    Everyone has to pay high rents.
    It doesnt mean 'i earn less than you so i should pay less rent'
    You get what you pay for.
    If a student wants to take a place for 9 months and another person want it for 12 months its not hard to guess what the landlord will do.
    Landlords make logical choices. These are not going to suit everyone no matter what happens.
    Students have to suffer market forces just like any other potential renters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Students have an extremely tough time finding accomodation. Students do not have an income. Students may not have previous renting experience and thus no landlord reference. Students are not looking for top quality places, just somewhere that is livable and affordable.

I spent two weeks looking for a house, I checked out 6 before I found what I wanted. 5 of the places were student accomodation, they were very basic, not particularly nice. Charging from 380 up to 440 per month for a room in a dingy flat. I'm paying 450 a month for a room in a newly renovated house, perfect condition. Simply beacuse I have work references & previous landlord references.

It is tougher on students than professionals to find a house. The problem is that students are being expected to pay just as much as professionals for far less quality accomodation. Students are not getting what they pay for.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

Students do get a harder deal finding accomodation. Professionals earn more money and so can afford to pay more rent for a nice place to live, students don't expect the same standard for a house but are still expected to pay as much.

Also, its very annoying when you go looking at house after house to be asked 'are you a professional? we're only looking for professionals'. It makes the whole house-hunting thing a lot harder when people won't even consider you as a potential rentee, even when you have previous landlord references and enough cash for deposit and rent.

This lark about having twin beds or a double bed in each room really pisses me off though, and it affects everyone looking for accomodation. Where the landlord wants to get as much money as possible so fits in as many beds as he can into each room - two-bedroomed flat suits four! Wtf? Unless you want to live with your partner or you don't mind sharing a room, you're going to find it really hard to find reasonably affordable accomodation on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Just a quick note on the kids in Galway mentioned in the article posted by Victor:

They handed over a deposit of a grand for a house they hadn't seen to a "landlord" they'd never met before[1]. While I'm not just running with "it was their own fault", that's what I'd say to one of my friends if this had been them - it reminds me of the Paddington Bear book where he bought oil shares from some bloke he met on the street. Assuming the above to be true, they come across as prime candidates to put their money into magic beans. Expensive lesson.

[1]At least that's what the front page of the Connacht (something or other) said this week.

Advertisement