Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's Flatrate

Options
  • 13-08-2003 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

eircom net anytime - 150 hours per month at anytime of day, on any day € 29.99 (inc VAT) (€ 24.79 ex VAT)

eircom net flat rate 60 - 60 hours p.m. off peak (6pm - 8am Mon-Fri, and all day weekends and bank holidays) € 19.99 (inc VAT)

eircom net flat rate 25 - 25 hours p.m. off peak (6pm - 8am Mon-Fri, and all day weekends and bank holidays) € 9.99 (inc VAT)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

not very exciting is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Are they purposely shooting themselves in the foot or is it just stupidity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

What a sick, twisted joke. Of course, one should expect nothing else from the rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

30 hours less than esatbt and the same price......tossers

me thinks they are banking on people (the uninformed or wary) just sticking with them because of the hassle involed in switiching totally over to utvip or the perceived hassle of having bills coming in from esatbt as well as themselves while maximising what they can get away with. If people do use another 30 hours they would have got with utvip or esatbt, they pocket a nice extra €22.68

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

What a poor poor offer.
    Originally posted by B-K-DzR

They are simply taking advantage of the majority of the population who won't bother/won't know to look at UTV/ESAT BT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Thats unbelievable.

Im sure theyll do well from it out of name recognition alone but jesus, youd think theyd be able to manage better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Guru, where did you find this information?

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

The Rat offers the punters 30 hours per month online less than UTVip XL and has the cheek to charge €5 per month MORE?.. Now let the media do their job and inform the Irish citizenry how Eircom tries it on again.

I am surprised, but actually pleased for UTVip XL who have been so open and courageous and customer led!, IMHO.

P.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

where do i sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If that is Eircom's attempt to break into the flatrate market then I think it's Ireland Offline's responsibility to make sure that people realise there are far better alternatives.

If anyone does sign up to that, and knows their options, I'm sorry, they deserve nothing short of castration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

what did you expect good value. your talking abou eircom here a decen offer would not keep their biddies in their overpaid jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

HMmm until I see an offical press release or link to product details on their webpage I would discount this info.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

The Rat offers the punters 30 hours per month online less than UTVip XL and has the cheek to charge €5 per month MORE?.. Now let the media do their job and inform the Irish citizenry how Eircom tries it on again.
    Personally if it was between them and UTv id go with Eircom..simply as UTV's network is so abd for pings. Thank **** for Esat :)... well and my soon to be dsl connection. (already over due :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by B-K-DzR

...a little from column A, a little from column B :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

eircom whats the point in doing these offers at prices that no one will go for???

what i say to eircom is

here lies eircom
    R.I.P

well in the internet side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭corkie

Originally posted by gandalf
    HMmm until I see an offical press release or link to product details on their webpage I would discount this info.

Gandalf.

A friend of mine was informed about this offer from somebody, so he rang eircom to confirm the details and was told they hadn't finalized the package yet.

That is why there is no details on the website.

I'm just guessing here but I think their using their reps to test out, what they can get a way with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

people are terrified of going to other providers, it will sell like hotcakes ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

A friend of mine was informed about this offer from somebody, so he rang eircom to confirm the details and was told they hadn't finalized the package yet.

It was only launched this morning and is to be rolled out on the 4th of Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by MDR
    people are terrified of going to other providers, it will sell like hotcakes ....
    Agreed. It's bad value obviously but given that there is actual competition in the market (obviously ignoring Eircom's cut off the top), if they want to release a bad-value product they're fully entitled to do so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is correct. You can see it in Eircoms PDF on pending price changes document here . Pages 10 and 11 are what your are looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Gee, how nice of the Rat to give UTVip XL notice of the official launch date, U.TV Internets Ad Agency should now be able to introduce a really winning advertisement for their packages that should wipe the floor with whats left of the Eircom Rat?.. What an unmissable opportunity for the Rats competitors!.

P.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Reading this

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/pending.pdf

pages 10 and 11 indeed has the proposed flatrate tariffs etc.

Page 15 has the product description . Here is the catch.

It appears that you MUST subscribe to an ISP before you use Eircom Flatrate . It is not clear which ISP.

It also strikes me that this paragraph was written by a legal muppet who does not understand the product. This is an appaling piece of legalese gobbledegook , undermined by an injuicious use of the word 'unlimited' .....anyone ?
    Internet Access Service
    The company may provide a facility, in this scheme referred to as “Internet access service”, to Internet
    service providers whereby customers who also subscribe to Internet service providers may make an
    internet access call. Internet access service shall be provided by the use of telephone exchange line
    numbers prefixed by 1891, 1892 and 1893 codes. There shall be charged to and paid by the Internet
    service provider in respect of the provision by the company of the Internet access service to the Internet
    service provider the charges specified in Part 13.1 of Section 1 of this scheme. There shall be charged to
    customers who also subscribe to Internet service providers and paid by such customers in respect of the
    use of the Internet access service the charges specified in Part 13.2 of Section 1 of this scheme.
    The charges specified in Part 13.2 of Section 1 of this Scheme include charges for Flat Rate Internet
    Access Service whereby customers on payment of a minimum fee per monthly billing period shall be
    allowed unlimited access to the eircom Internet Access Service during specified times for specified periods.

Where is Ardmore when you need him , he can speak Eircom HQ english so he can.

Oh, its a 2 monthl allowance for Residential users
    The minimum fee payable, the specified times and the specified periods are as set out in Part 2.1 of
    Section 1 of this Scheme.
    In the event that the customer does not exhaust the total of the period of unlimited access available to it in
    any one billing cycle it shall not carryover any unused period to any next or subsequent billing cycle.

It cannot be advertised as a monthly billed product then.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Why do I get the feeling I'll be complaining about the ads for this to the ASAI already (and they haven't even officially launched it!) :rolleyes:

Gandalf.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by gandalf
    Why do I get the feeling I'll be complaining about the ads for this to the ASAI already (and they haven't even officially launched it!) :rolleyes:

Gandalf.

Hey, why don't you write a letter to the ASAI fore warning them, then when Eircom do break the rules you can point back at your first letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by bk
    Hey, why don't you write a letter to the ASAI fore warning them, then when Eircom do break the rules you can point back at your first letter.

Jeez we are getting good at the ASAI lark.

Lets look up a few of their recent findings on Eircom and go for it.

The pending PDF linked Earlier is Eircoms Reference Interconnect offer (amedment thereto)

We can remind the ASAI that

1. Eircom will not be launching flat rate in September and may therefore not advertise flat rate. It will be launching

"The charges specified in Part 13.2 of Section 1 of this Scheme include charges for Flat Rate Internet
    Access Service whereby customers on payment of a minimum fee per monthly billing period shall be
    allowed unlimited access to the eircom Internet Access Service during specified times for specified periods."

Unlimited for specific times for specific periods..... mmmmmmmm.

2. Eircom will not be lauching a monthly rated product , it will be lauching a Bill Period Allowance. Residential users pay their bills every 2 months so a Truthful ad should show the charge as per the Bill Period.

"In the event that the customer does not exhaust the total of the period of unlimited access available to it in
    any one billing cycle it shall not carryover any unused period to any next or subsequent billing cycle."

An unused monthly allowance can be carried along for the ENTIRE Bill period, it expires at the end of the Bill period, not enforceable monthly then.

The fact that Eircom will not give you theoption to pay monthly, by locking you into a 2 monthly Bill Cycle , is further ammunition.

3. Given the amount of cases that Eircom has lost in the ASAI , I believe that the ASAI should be reminded of the contents of Eircoms OWN product manual (the RIO) in order that they preempt some of the more outrageuos porkies that Eircom will attempt on an unsuspecting public, as usual.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Getting back to the fundamental problem.....

As I understand it from the posts so far, Eircom hope to launch a FlatRate service in the near future which is actually a "worse" service (in terms of hours/€) than its competitors, all of whom are using Eircoms facilities.

This leads to two possibilities as I see it:

1. The price Eircom are proposing to charge is the actual cost and the others are undercutting (taking a loss?) in order to win customers.

2. The competitors are charging a fair price and Eircom is "overcharging".

Now I doubt if the first is true, because as some of us have learned to our cost, companies can't keep taking losses indefinitely. [Surf Nolimits]

So, that suggests the second is true. Which begs the question, WHY???

What do Eircom have to gain by giving a financially less attractive (to the customer) service? Is it part of a legal challenge to show that to be commercially viable, they have to charge this price which then means that if they need to make a profit, they have to charge other operators a higher fee for access to their system?

Gotta say, its a weird one. I would have expected them to provide a better service (not that I'd go for it, mind you!!)

Methinks the rat is planning future tactics......

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Do I eat up my hours twice as fast if I connect using two ISDN channels? Or do they charge my the minute for the second channel?

Sorry, off topic I know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Delphi91, it's number 2. Bill Murphy may look (to me) like he's going about things the wrong way, but he's no fool either, and even the 'roids in EsatBT aren't incompetent enough to "Do a NoLimits" again. They're making a small profit, and we can gather this because UTV has come here and told us straight out that they're making a small profit (and I believe them).

The reason is that they're the incumbent, they still have a large majority market share and they have (anti-competitive) advantages over the competition. Some of them are hard (for us) to prove, such as (illegal) data-sharing and subsidies between the wholesale and retail arms; but some of them are blatant, such as their ability to bundle marketing material in the telephone bills. All go unpunished by Comreg.

With this and the fact that consumers are ill-educated about their rights, and the blame for this rests on the competition as much as anyone else, Eircom feel that they don't need to compete on price. If you dig deeper though, you'll see that they're probably just playing the odds. They've likely analysed the BT statistics in the UK and will play the game and try to push as hard as they can without going as far as BT (and fscking up).

Personally I don't think they can do it. They're too cocksure and they'll push too hard and we'll see a replication of the massive losses in the UK. That being said, Eircom might not care about this because the intention could well be - probably is - to fleece the Irish for as much as possible before they flee the country with their ill-gotten gains. Well, the 34% that are actually in the country anyway... :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by Muck
    Residential users pay their bills every 2 months so a Truthful ad should show the charge as per the Bill Period.

Many/Most eircom prices are quoted monthly, but charged at the billing period, so why should the flat rate option be any different.

Eircom do offer options to switch to monthly billing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

at these prices why should they compete at all??
    since there competition(Resellers) are already paying them for the same products.

so realisticaly it probably does not make a blind bit of difference if they sell or not, this probably just a pr excercise

Advertisement