Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's Flatrate

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Do I eat up my hours twice as fast if I connect using two ISDN channels? Or do they charge my the minute for the second channel?

ISDN dual Channel 2 calls you will use twice as many minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

with the one MSN I trust ? , otherwise you pay full whack on one channel while the other is at a package rate.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well I think everyone has to agree that this does not amaze anyone!

There was no way the rat would bring out a good quality package, why would it?!?

Its still making loads of money off of 1.5c net access

Can't see this improving for awhile and I'm very sad to have to say this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Can someone clarify this ISDN Dual channel issue for me please? It's my understanding that if you connect at 128k then you will be charged by the minute on the second channel...there is no mechanism whereby you can use your allotted minutes to connect with dual channel.
    with the one MSN I trust ?

What's that mean? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 elsoldemayo

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    eircom whats the point in doing these offers at prices that no one will go for???

what i say to eircom is

here lies eircom
    R.I.P

well in the internet side of things

Unfortunately a lot of people will go for this offer as the majority of Joe Public still believe Eircom is working in the public's interest and what ever they offer is a good deal despite evidence to contradict this viewpoint.

It's the old arguement 'why are the other's offering a cheaper service, there must be something wrong with it, I'll stick with what I know'

I think we as a nation are very wary of change which suits Eircom down to the ground.

• Advertisement

a MSN is a Multipile Subscriber Number .... Dont worry about it yes you will be charged 2 calls or twice as many minutes if you use dual channel. answ Only at the the local call price if you go over your hours

Multilink WILL be supported by all the Eircom.Net 1893 products but will use up your minutes allowance in half the time you contracted in for.

Is that Correct Guru?? It is certainly of interest for those who may wish to have a backup ISDN line for emergencies.

M

that is Correct Muck

If you use 2 channels you will use up twice as much time
    so for dual channel you will get 75 hours per month
    if you are using the 2 channels all the time

Im sure this is the same with all the companies offerings of flatrate internet.

Please also note that if you multilink for 1 hour this will be 2 hours taken of the 150 hours

Originally posted by the Guru

Im sure this is the same with all the companies offerings of flatrate internet.

No. IOL do not allow it, AFAIR 64k only, although they may have changed their product since I enquired about this in June . Their FAQ is most informative See :(

UTV do not allow it see http://www.utvip.com/faq.asp?loc=ie&id=19&stext=channels&listcat=&title= . The UTV FAQ is the best around.......fair play again lads.

Thanks for your help.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

We have 2 PCs, each using it's own ISDN modem with UTViXL.
    If I connect at 128 or we both connect simultaneously at 64, both phone numbers will be billed from the 180 hour allowance.

• Advertisement

http://www.utvip.com/faq.asp?loc=ie&id=19&stext=channels&listcat=&title=

sez one channel ...or one channel per MSN... no mention of multilink from one MSN

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Sir Random, have you considered purchasing an ISDN router? That way, you can connect many computers through a single ISDN connection at the same time. (Try searching for "ISDN router" on www.ebay.co.uk -- I got one there for under 50 euros).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

To be honest, I think this product will sell far better than any other competitors flatrate on the market, simply because Eircom have vast marketing resources behind them. Only geeks who know about Eircoms misdeeds will buy the competition, but the ordinary people, who make up the majority, will go for eircom. I can almost gauruntee it.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Slightly off the point, but not only is UTV's FRIACO product much cheaper than Eircom's, their ordinary voice telephone charges (which you must also sign up for when you get their internet service) are also much cheaper. Normal telephone calls are up to 20% less, although there is a call initiation charge of about 3.5 cent per call.

I know this is not an eircom bashing forum, but I get more and more p***ed off with their cavalier attitude towards their customers. I signed up with UTV a month ago and have had no problems so far. The moral of the story is that the only power we have to make a real change in pricing structures is to change telepony providers.

I am soooo looking forward to my next eircom bill and I can't wait to explain to the poor unfortunate whose job it will be to ring me and ask me if I want to return to eircom, that I would rather stick needles into my nether regions than give them another cent to pay for their over-priced, anti-competitive products.

Call me petty, but when you live in a small midlands town you have to take your satisfaction where you can get it.

Spread the UTV word...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Gibs
    Spread the UTV word...... ;)
    Indeed but what you've posted above is effectively message board spam. We don't post about a competitor's products on a thread discussing another company's product. If we allowed that every time the entire board would be a mess. It's not an eircom-bashing board but it's also not an advertise for UTV in the eircom flat-rate thread board either. I'm not coming down hard as it's your first post (welcome by the way!) but you hopefully see my point.

(normally I'd split this off but frankly I'm off to bed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Sceptre

Take it easy man.

Matt

Duly noted Sceptre, though perhaps a little harsh, not to mention condescending?

I will endeavour to avoid your ire in future.

Gibs.

P.S. Cheers Matt.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Apologies. My post above reads as rather harsh (especially the first line, my bad). Didn't mean it that way and I'm not going to try and blame the lateness or the weather.

No prob Sceptre. Thanks.
    Gibs.

Advertisement