Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name and Shame works....

Options
  • 13-08-2003 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

This from unison.ie
    Fewer sue as council names claimants

A CONTROVERSIAL move by a town council to reduce its massive public liability insurance bill by publishing the names of those who sue it for trips and falls, along with their solicitors, has produced results, it was revealed yesterday.

Figures released yesterday by Tralee Town Council in Co Kerry reveal the lowest number of claims against the council in years.

In 2000 there were 39 public liability claims. Of those suing, one had had five previous claims against the council, another had three and two others had one previous claim each.

Last year there were 29 claims in the first seven months - but for the same period this year there have been only nine.

The six names and addresses were published in The Kerryman, along with the type of claims. The notice covered claims from January to March 2003, and the council intends to continue the practice periodically, despite defamation proceedings being taken by some of those named.

The town's €1m insurance bill represents 8pc of the its total annual revenue budget. "This money if available to the council would build nine family-type houses," said town clerk John Breen.

I remember Tralee Council being featured on a Prime Time special about compo culture earlier this year and thought it was a great
    attitude for them to take hopefully other local authorites will follow on.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Heh ... i remember that program on TV, twas hilarious ... knackers tripping over the tiniest of things ... one knacker has been banned by the courts from suing the UDC:D ..

The funniest one of them all was a 12 year old (i think) knacker suing the UDC for a trip on a gouge out of the footpath that was right outside the knacker familys house ... turns out that the knacker father has made the gouge himself ...:rolleyes: .... and before anyone starts on to me about them possibly not being knackers ... this was in St. Brendans Park, a name to strike fear into any guard in tralee ... about 1/3 of the houses are boarded up there (good few burned out) ... scumbags

but you can be sure that naming and shaming wont make them shower bat an eyelid ... they'll probably cut it out and frame it ..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

The trall UDC now have the problem of a few of the name and shame people trying to sue them over being named.
    Not only is there a chance that their claim was fragulent but now they want to try and sue the council for doing something that they are in their right to do.
    If their claim was valid why would they be worried about their names been printed in the firsdt place.
    I think it is a great idea. Several other councils are going to follow suit to help stop this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

If theres one thing i can't stand is people suing over small silly things or stuff that isnt true. (there are infact lots of things i cant stand but hey, figure of speach and all).

This is great and i hope the other local authorities follow suit ASAP.

Advertisement