Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is why mobo dead?

• 13-08-2003 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

Got a new case and put everything in it. When I started the computer a load of giberish came up. After a few restarts everything seemed normal untill the bar (that goes from left to right on xp) then It would just restart. I thought it might be the ram so I tried restittng it. when i turned the comp back on again a capacitor near the dimm started to smoke immediatly. I quickly turned of the machine. now the fans start as soon as the power suply is conected the power switch does nothing (wont turn the comp of). So I now assume my motherboard and ram are phucked. Is there anything I can do or shoul I just start saving for a new set?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

If there was actual smoke your up sh1t creek without a paddle im afraid, CPU might be toast too.

Sounds like a voltage fault on the motherboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

I got a 480 wat psu with the case, could that have been the problem?

No, the motherboard should 'decide' how much power it needs to pull from the psu. If it pulls to much power (so to speak) than it can increase the temperatures dramatically and start to burn. Could also be the memory controller that was broken and that it tried to 'pull' too much power. (think thats how it works, would some one mind confirming)

If you changed nothing in the Bios (ie upping voltages) and did no physical or ESD (hard to know) damage to it you might be able to get back to the mobo company. Doubt it would do much good but probably worth a shot, not sure how to deal with this tho.

what are the chances the cpu is gone? Would I be able to tell by looking at it?

how much would I need to spend on a new mobo, ram and cpu?

I have no idea what the chances are, look at it for any visible burn marks (underneat as well) but even if its clear it might not be working. I'd imagine its ok tho if not visibly damaged but ya never know....

To answer ya other question How much is a piece of string?
    Depends what cpu,ram and mobo you go for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

i had a problem with motherboard years ago, i,d say mb is dead ,but the chances are the simm ram chips are still ok ,,try them in an old pc if u have 1 to test em with ,,be careful re static electricity, try em in slot 2 or 3 if u have spare pc but remember to put gauranteed functional simm ram in first slot,,,usually labelled slot o cos if you buy a new mb and u leave first slot empty or put in faulty simm you,ll prbly damage new motherboard.WHEN PUTTING IN simm you MUST above all indentify and use first slot ..slot zero FIRST.SOUNDS LIKE ur gonna have to buy new mb ,,so my advice buy new 256meg simm and use that in SLOT ZERO .

I had a look at the cpu (xp2100). 2 of the pads on it are cracked (it think thats from when I installed a zalman) and a bit of discolouration from when I used whitespirit (foolishly) to remove a thermal pad before, I dont think that this is a problem or is it? Apart from that it looks the same as when I put it in no burning etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

i had a similiar experience with a mobo-smoke and sparks everywhere-the mobo is dead but the ram and cpu are ok having managed to test them. in my case the power supply was not up the job for the new mobo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

kidda

my advice is to take out the ram and cpu and try on a different mobo,. a friends or computer shop.

see if they work,

id say the cpu is toast, if you dont put it on properly the caps short out ,

is the mobo new?

the psu got nothing to do with it, as someo ther guy said, the mobo draws as much watts as it needs

if you over clocked it, that could damage the cpu, (over clocking ovltage etc), i dont think you did this so take the cpu and ram to a different mobo and try them out.

as for the blown cap, that can be replaced, if the cap is all the is blown, its worth replacing it.

i have no idea how u managed to get a windows xp from a loading screen into a puff of smoke..........

but thats computer for you. ^^

Advertisement