Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards.ie Special

Options
  • 13-08-2003 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

As a special offer to boards.ie users we have created the following custom plan which is NOT listed on our site.

For € 100 per year (ex-VAT) you get:

150MB disk space
    5 Gb transfer
    5 MySQL databases

Choice of Linux or Windows (Server 2003) platforms

Linux Options:

Apache
    JSP/Servlet
    Tomcat 4.1.x
    JDK 1.4. with struts
    Webalizer
    PHP/Perl

Windows Options:

IIS 6
    ASP.net
    ASP/Perl
    ODBC (eg. Access, MySQL)
    Awstats

Control panels are available for both platforms allowing you to easily setup users, POP3 accounts etc.

If you would like to avail of this offer please email sales@blacknightsolutions.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Whats the situation with shell access and how many pop accounts are provided with this plan.
    Can we run cron jobs?

Thanks
    Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Ryan

We offer unlimited POP accounts with this package.

Shell access is granted on a discretionary basis and may only be used for site administration ie. you cannot run bnc etc from it

If you have any more questions I will be more than happy to answer them.

Michele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Excellent I only need shell for the like of restoring a database and the like the only other question I have is do we have access to run cron jobs, My site has three Mysql databases which need to be backed up every day and I use a cron job to do it.
    Also what control panel do you use out of interest.

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan

Cronjobs are fine :P

We use 42go . It has a number of builtin utilities, such as PhpMyAdmin.

We can also provide you with access to Webmin/Usermin if you need a GUI for controlling cronjobs.

HTH

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

Quick question

I assume the 5GB is per month as opposed to per annum but just would like to get it clarified.

If you go over the 5GB what are the excess bandwidth charges like?

Oh and roughly how many other vhosts will be on a server? (prob the linux option)

Cheers

• Advertisement

Yes, transfer is per month.

If you go over the limit we would charge €2/gb.

If you felt that you consistently needed more bandwidth we would negotiate a more reasonable bulk rate.

The number of vhosts per server varies. We monitor server load etc constantly, so we would hope to avoid any issues by freezing new signups on any servers that we felt had reached their limit.

We'll throw in a FREE .com (or .net) with any signups for the boards' special before the 15th September

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have been asked to cobble together a quick website for my mates landscape gardening business.

Probably put the pages together in DreamWeaver, page will be just informational and will not need too much updating etc.... about 50mb would be more than enough for the site.

Not sure if he already bought a domain, lets pretend not.. so for example we wil want this site accessed via a web address like..... www.davesmateslandscape.com, you get the idea.

Also he will require a few email addresses e.g.
    info@davesmateslandscape.com

etc......

How much will this cost. All costs. Initial, plus per annum thereafter.

If you took the special it would cost €100 ex-VAT per year for the hosting with the domain for free (if it's a .com etc)
    That would give you more than enough disk and bandwidth for your friend's site.
    If you would prefer to discuss your options feel free to give us a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Regarding the windows option.

Can we upload our own code behind classes for Asp.net? If so do you have an example control panel or something that demonstrates how this is done?

And what will the account cost to renew when the year is up?

• Advertisement

EvilPhil

The control panel we use is Helm. You can see a demo here:

http://helm.webhostautomation.com/demo.asp

Renewals will be charged at the same price next year.

As for your other question:
    Can we upload our own code behind classes for Asp.net?
    Could you give me an example, as I'm not 100% sure I understand your question (I'm more of a linux person)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Sorry, I forget people aren't working with .NET. Inna nut-shell; I want to upload my own DLLs, called assemblies, that contain executable code. These assemblies are called from the .aspx (asp.net) pages and contain the code-behind classes i.e. they're the code behind the website. You may be able to say they're like Java beans/Enteprise Java beans.

I think its a safe bet that this can be done but you never know with specials. I'll be having a look at the demo cp in the meantime.

cheers

If they can be run from your own directory there shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

How many subdomains and additional URL's can the package support?
    Does it support CGI?

If I use a service like Everyone.net to provide free email addresses to browsers can the package accommodate it?

Thanks.

Henri

Our linux packages support Perl and PHP.
    You can have 4 sub-domains with the account and point as many sites to the same physical webspace as you want (ie. pointers)

Updating DNS records so that all mail is handled by Everyone.net or similar is not an issue, as it only takes a small change in the DNS records (the MX)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

I would probably soon need more than four sub-domains. Is it possible to purchase more or would I need to upgrade from that package?

Do you provide site stats?

Can an ecommerce facility such as OS Commerce be integrated?

What level of support do you provide?

Henri

We can negotiate with you regarding the number of sub-domains.

Site stats on linux are provided using webalizer

OSCommerce is supported, though if you need SSL you would have to get your own or upgrade the package.

Support is available via email, online helpdesk, instant messenger and telephone.

Just so you know...

The free domain offer is now finished.

We still offer exceptionally low prices on domain name registration so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

On the linux offering would I be allowed to run eggdrops, bots and use realys?

Background processes allowed?

Originally posted by Jorinn
    On the linux offering would I be allowed to run eggdrops, bots and use realys?

Background processes allowed?
    The Special only covers standard shared hosting and does not allow for shell hosting.

If you are interested in shell hosting please contact sales@blacknightsolutions.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Just looking around the board here and your site. My main question is how may domains can be used on a plan?

I see you say unlimited pointers to the same webspace and 4 sub domains, but say for example I take the offer to boards members, how many domains can I set up on that plan?

Thanks
    Wolfman

Wolfman

The offer is to host one site only, though you can have the sub-domains and the pointers as already mentioned.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

OK. Thanks for the reply. Which package would I need to go for to use more than one domain on and how many domains would it support?

Wolfman

Please contact sales@blacknightsolutions.ie with your exact requirements and we'll see what we can concoct for you.

Regards

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I see you were offering free .com domains and now charge a small price for them but do you do .ie domain names and how much extra on top of youre normal package is a .ie domain name if you do them?

€45 ex-VAT will get you an IE domain if ordered with any of our hosting packages.

As we've recently changed our hosting plans please use the "basic" package when ordering and we'll upgrade it to the boards' special spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Update on this.

We are now using a way better control panel for our linux hosting accounts, it offers such features of 1 click install of Gallery, phpBB, mambo etc and also allows editing of Crob jobs, scheduled backups etc.

View http://www.blacknight.ie/directadmin.php for our online tutorials and a closer look at the control panel in action.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dooley

Or you could just not get ripped off and go to dreamhost or IXHosting. Just a thought.
    $7.95 a month for 20gb hard disk space and 1 TB transfer on Dreamhost.
    $6.45 a month for 20gb hard disk space and 300gb transfer on IX Hosting.

Don't tell me this offer is good value. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dooley wrote:
    Or you could just not get ripped off and go to dreamhost or IXHosting. Just a thought.
    $7.95 a month for 20gb hard disk space and 1 TB transfer on Dreamhost.
    $6.45 a month for 20gb hard disk space and 300gb transfer on IX Hosting.

Don't tell me this offer is good value. :rolleyes:
    You can roll your eyes as much as you like, but try getting through to either of those companies on a locall number during Irish office hours

Advertisement