Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone hosting a site off iol or eircom bb?

• 14-08-2003 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just trying to decide which service / product to go for...

Is anybody sucessfully hosting a site from their machine yet? Or have the providers blocked appropriate ports?

I'm aware that it would have cap implications, and I'm also aware of non-static IP considerations (there are ways around that).

Anyone?

Anyone's "friend"? :)

Ta, Huge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I know someone who's hosting a webserver and an ftp server on eircom's 1Mb package. They don't block the ports but they do disconnect him after a certain period of time (think it could be 48 or something, I'm not sure). Might not be the same for the RADSL package tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Are you sure its a good idea with only a contended 128kbps pipe back to the internet?

I don't think there are significant cap implacations on Eircom, as they have repeatedly stated that it it a download cap, and uploads don't affect it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Heya Hugh.

You should be able to host a webserver or ftp server for personal use without a problem. The problems start if you need it to be 100% persistant. If you dont have any disconnection problems then it should be fine for work<->home transfers etc.

If your looking at sticking it up for public consumption, i *think* thats against the eircom AUP so they wont support any problems you have with it and could possibly terminate your account. Also, the first sniff of any real amount of traffic and its gonna die a death with only 128 upload.

www.mine.nu is a good place to get a free dynamic dns and there are programs linked from there to update your dns to your dynamic ip.

ps check your pms :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

Yeah i host an ftp server off iol bb and it works brill setting up a mail server at the mo i am using http://www.dyndns.org its kol use the free dynamic dns its brill get an adreess for instance ftp://blahblah.homeftp.net and that address always points to your pc even if you have a non static ip its very very kol really and its free....havent had any issues with the bb part either well please in fact is me....:D

Advertisement