Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest Gig Ever

• 14-08-2003 1:36am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have just roadied at the fastest setup gig ever.

22.40 - gear found due to other gear being "else where"
    01.35 - gig setup, 2 bands played 30-45 minute sets each, gear ripped apart, taxi, wash and posting on boards

Pretty good going, no?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Sorry, but I think this wins...

From the AMC website diary entires
    10.30pm The Dangerfields arrive after a seven hour drive from Belfast. A wrong turn threw them right off.
    So we explain the situation to the exhausted looking Dangerfields boys and they contemplate by taking the piss out of Freebas and their laminates and the the size of the Freebase tour bus compared to the Dangerfields car.

So the gig goes on and Godseye play an ok set. Slit delivered the goods big time, Freebase put on a really good show and by the time the Freebase set finishes it's 11.35.
    The High Stool Staff are telling me "that is a wrap, the bar is closed".
    Andrew Dangerfield is setting up his kit and the band are tuning up. The High Stool are still saying "wrap it up", I'm going "oh ****" The Dangerfields are looking like they want to have fun, and the crowd are standing there as if they had just seen The Pope do a cameo in Debbie Does Dallas.

I plead with the staff to let the both The Dangerfields and Eastfield to a couple of songs each and they finally agree "ONE SONG EACH AND THAT IS IT".
    Phewwwwww!!!!
    So The Dangerfields play the fasted 2 minute punk song you've ever heard. Jump off the stage to a fine applause, then Eastfield get up on stage. Throw on the guitars, the bass is out of tune, the singer looks like he has just stepped out from the cast of Willow, and the drummer is stoned out of his tits.
    1...2.....3....4..... another full on assault of premium punk rock. Second or third note in the bass player brings the string he is playing on, the singer is jumping up and down af if David Blaine just realised he had lost his magical powers after stepping in a tray of lava, and the drummer is thumping away on planet GONGA!!

So after 2.5 minutes (good 'ol casio) that is it. The two quickest gigs by any band I've ever seen and they were the best I'd seen all night.

I felt so sorry fot The Dangerfields and Eastfield. If you saw the car they came down in. Six of them in it, carrying a full drumkit on their laps in the back, guitars between their feet in the front and the boot stuffed with Dangerfield records and copies of local punk fanzines.
    All in all both bands had travelled 7 hours to play for 4.5 minutes. Now that is PUNK ROCK.

Viewable at http://theamc.homestead.com/diary2july2nd2003.html

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I should have also said the gig was arranged at 7.30 last night. And it wasn't the length of the gig I was talking about, it was the whole setup, play, dismantle thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

All right, all right, calm down...

We'll call it a draw???;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Try playing a 1.45 version of fire and a 30 second version of lukin yis b'stards. Drummer = heart attack.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Sorry reckless, didn't mean it too strongly. It was just the fastest gig I've ever been to.

Giblet, try Paranoid at double speed. Singer has a good laugh trying to keep up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement