Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Healy signs for Sunderland, silly boy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

i think its a big mistake, i dont rate mcarthy as a manager at all and healy is good enough for a premiership club.

Aswell ireland need top flight players so it puts him behind kinsella and holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Hey it may not be the Premiership but it beats being stuck in Celtic reserves.
    I think a season in the 1st division will them him a lot of good.
    I think it's a good move for him
    Sunderland and McCarthy are well capable of getting to the playoffs especially with Healy in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Surprising, but i guess he is guaranteed first team football there. Not too much competition for places. If he signed for Leeds he would most likely be in the first division next year anyhow....
    Would of liked to have seen O'Leary sign him for Villa. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by colster
    Sunderland and McCarthy are well capable of getting to the playoffs especially with Healy in midfield.

lol me thinks hes going to have a religation battle on his hands
    Originally posted by mbroaders
    Would of liked to have seen O'Leary sign him for Villa. Ah well.

As a Villa Fan I thought so myself but I think McCann is better and with him and Hitz in the middle I couldn't see any room for healy.

By the way Philips is on his way to Southampton for 3 million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Well it's a step forward for him. It beats playing in the reserves at Celtic. I think that he will be in the premiership next year or the year after. He has only signeda two year deal hasn't he??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i dont rate mcarthy as a manager at all and healy is good enough for a premiership club.

and your basing that purely on 1 or 2 performances from healy in a irish shirt...................

personally as ive said before, i dont rate healy... infact i would go as far to say i think he will be a flop in england

hopefully the lad does well and best of luck to him, but I really dont see what makes him this 'premiership material'...

especially as half these 'irish blokes' i meet in pubs say that larsson would struggle in the premiership, talk about one sided views when suddenly the player in question plays for there country.......

oh and wasnt it McCarthy in the first place that actually gave the guy an opportunity in the republic team while he had played like 1 'first team' game for celtic the whole season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Originally posted by Sundy
    i think its a big mistake, i dont rate mcarthy as a manager at all and healy is good enough for a premiership club.

Aswell ireland need top flight players so it puts him behind kinsella and holland.

Well it hardly puts him behing Kinsella, who has been playing reserve division football for over a year now.

I dont think its a bad move for him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Healy had a great spell on loan at coventry and that's when he first impressed me...

Larsson would NOT struggle in the premier league. He's just beaten Rush's record for the most European goals socred at a single club. If he can perform every year in Europe, why would he suddenly struggle in the Premier League?

why would he suddenly struggle in the Premier League?

i have absoloutley no idea, infact it kinda bewilders me still when people tell me this, and they actually believe it (or atleast they make it seem like they are believing the crap they spout..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

larsson wouldnt struggle anywere, he's one of the worlds best. the most consistent footballer around as far as i can see. wil be sad to see him leave next summer. cannot be replaced.

healy's over-rated a bit. still a good player. wouldnt stand out in the premiership though. i think its o'neill's fault for not giving him 1st team football. he's now too late to develope to his full potential.

while were talkin about celtic is anyone else concerned about NO SIGNINGS AT ALL?? lennon and lambert are past it, cant play 50 games a season. larsson's going next year and we've no replacement. 60,000 every home game and the clubs supposed to be 'in debt'.

what happened to the 30/40m raised from the uefa cup?? a team cannot improve if new players aren't comming in. there's a serious lack of competition for places in celtic. hopefully a few youths will blossom this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I voted no for the following reasons :-

- Sunderland are a massive club ( regardless of finances or loss of players)

- He has played under McCarthy before and can expect regular first team football

- The First Division is comparitable to Scottish Prem so it will help him learn and build for premiership

- If Sunderland fail to go back up , then he only has a 2 year contract (he's still very young)

-If sunderland go down to 2nd div . then he has 1 year of contract , by then Sunderland would wanna / need to get rid of him so he'd probably get snapped up by premiership club....

I hope he does well with them anyway ....

Originally posted by irish1
    lol me thinks hes going to have a religation battle on his hands

Are ye mad. They're not that bad.
    Nearly every relegated PL side take a few games to get into their stride in the 1st Division.
    Sunderland have only played 1 game and that was away against a very good side and suddenly they are going to be fighting against relegation.
    They have a decent centre half, a good midfield and all they need is for the strikers to click and they could be promoted.
    McCarthy is a good manager. He must be or are you saying that the 1st division is harder than International management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

Sunderland remind me of Man City when they were in freefall a few years ago. There's just something about the club that's 'off'.
    Unless they start getting good performances and some results then they'll be in trouble at the end of the season imo.

Are ye mad. They're not that bad.
    Nearly every relegated PL side take a few games to get into their stride in the 1st Division.
    Sunderland have only played 1 game and that was away against a very good side and suddenly they are going to be fighting against relegation.
    They have a decent centre half, a good midfield and all they need is for the strikers to click and they could be promoted.
    McCarthy is a good manager. He must be or are you saying that the 1st division is harder than International management.

well i've been told so before that was normally after I had barred someone from a bar.

Some points to think about do.

McCarthy is a muppet look at how he handled the situation with the guys who slept it out.

Sorressen, McCann and now Philips are all gone leaving holes...no leaving gapeing holes behind.

The club has no money so they can't buy anyone (Healy was free remember).

I seriously think they will struggle this season, I might eat my words but I doubt it.

while were talkin about celtic is anyone else concerned about NO SIGNINGS AT ALL??

yes very concerned over this, have been most of the summer. I still pick up the scottish paper when i can, and even then theres not even some made up paper talk to inclinate that celtic have even been looking for someone... which is extremely infuriating to say the least

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think Fernandez will be fit come October so he will be another attacking option for celtic, not a lot to worry about besides the attack really, defence is soild, midfeild is grand.

well i've been told so before that was normally after I had barred someone from a bar.

Some points to think about do.

McCarthy is a muppet look at how he handled the situation with the guys who slept it out.

Sorressen, McCann and now Philips are all gone leaving holes...no leaving gapeing holes behind.

The club has no money so they can't buy anyone (Healy was free remember).

I seriously think they will struggle this season, I might eat my words but I doubt it.

Firstly, we don't know what actually happened with Thornton and Whitley. I think he was right to do what he did. How were they the only ones to sleep in out of the entire squad.

Secondly I think that Poom is a very godd replacement for Sorensson. Healy is a good replacement for McCann. That leaves Phillips. They still have Stewart and Flo(who looks like he's going to stay).
    Just Look at the team they could play

Poom

Gray Babb Breen Wright

McAteer Healy Reyna Kilbane

Flo Stewart

By my reckoning that team has 8 internationals. 7 of whom have played in the WC.
    I think thats a strong enough team to do quite well in the 1st division.

Just Look at the team they could play

Poom

Gray Babb Breen Wright

McAteer Healy Reyna Kilbane

Flo Stewart

By my reckoning that team has 8 internationals. 7 of whom have played in the WC.
    I think thats a strong enough team to do quite well in the 1st division.

lol

Sorry mate but only decent players there are Stewart, Healy maybe gray, and Reyna is reported today to be on his way out.

lol

Sorry mate but only decent players there are Stewart, Healy maybe gray, and Reyna is reported today to be on his way out.

If you measuring them by Premiership standards then maybe they are the only decent players there but we're talking about the first division.
    A division where David Connolly can score >25 goals. A division where clubs of geriatrics (Portsmouth and Wolves) can get promoted.
    Even Leicester got promoted and Sunderland have a better squad than they had.

Anyway Breen, McAteer, Kilbane and Poom are all top quality as far as the 1st divison is concerned.

If Reyna goes they still have the likes of Thornton, Whitley and Butler to slot into midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

babb and breen as cb's!! lol

OH MY GOD, that has to be the worst ever partnership! i'll never figure out how those 2 have won over 80 caps between them and played in the premiership and world cup. that has to be the 8th wonder of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

no 1 can realy judge if healy good enough for the premeirship until he has a proper seson under him. as for larrson in the premeir league i think he'd do well he's leaving celtic at the end of the season maybe he will be in the premeir league.(he's keen over a move to the midlle east i think .) Id like to see blunderland go up for the irish players sake but i think they'll be lucky to stay in the 1st division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

ah well, healy has the goods and i think mccarthy is the ideal man to bring it out of him. I'm glad to see he moved, at least he will play regularly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 welshbhoy

oh and wasnt it McCarthy in the first place that actually gave the guy an opportunity in the republic team while he had played like 1 'first team' game for celtic the whole season?
    big chief, he gave him a chance after his loan spell at Coventry where he had some good reviews.

I think Fernandez will be fit come October so he will be another attacking option for celtic, not a lot to worry about besides the attack really, defence is soild, midfeild is grand.
    seaneh, have you seen Lennon lately? he is struggling, it spoke voloumes last week when MON took Lennon and Lambert off, our midfield needs a boost, Liam Miller

what happened to the 30/40m raised from the uefa cup??
    smemon, where did you get this from? I bet the winners of the champions league did'nt even get this much, I reckon we earned £12 million,tops.

As for Larsson, the man is pure quality, he could easily walk into ANY team in any league anywhere in the world, we don't realise how much of a loss he is going to be.Maybe MON is saving his transfer funds from this season and will spend this years and next years funds on a quality striker,he has already said he want's quality and not just quantity to add to the squad a good run in the C/L is needed to attract some top drawer players.After last season's UEFA Cup Final it'll show people we are a force

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

IMO Healy is rated too highly, he looked good when he replaced irish midfileders who are aging quickly and are sadly past it, (Holland, Kinsella etc). He has been looked at by good managers, good football people. I think if he was that good he would have been snapped up by one of these guys. I cant see why everyone says he should be playing at the top level, he was ok at coventry, Thornton in the sunderland team looks like a better hope to me, he is busy and has an eye for goal. I wish Healy all the best and i hope the high expectations dont mess him up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

1 more game and Big Mick equals the record for consecutive league defeats which has stood for 104 years! Sunderland are a team going nowhere, anyone with any hint of talent will be sold and the trapdoor to division 2 beckons. (Shef Wed again!)

Healy would be better in the Celtic reserves!

Advertisement