Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem versus router

Options
  • 14-08-2003 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Heyas,

right now i'm on Eircom's "Enhanced" package (which, being Eircom, is excessively expensive). I'm not using it as much as I thought I would be, so I was going to downgrade the line-speed.

Right now I'm using a four-port router/modem (D-Link), but the woman-on-the-phone said I'd have to buy a USB modem from them for 150 Euro.

Do router/modems not work with the 512kpbs package eircom has, or can I tell her to feck off, shut up and downgrade me.

I was also thinking of going for Netsource.ie until I saw all the ping problems!! Alternatively I'd go with UTV, but their package is just for one connection (or so it says on the site)- while I have 2 PCs and 2 laptops in the house that need the net.

Any ideas?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by nhedge
    Do router/modems not work with the 512kpbs package eircom has
    They work fine with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Alternatively I'd go with UTV, but their package is just for one connection (or so it says on the site)- while I have 2 PCs and 2 laptops in the house that need the net.

Any ideas?

thanks
    Don't mind that, it's very misleading. Like any other service, you can only have one connection, but you can share this one connection between as many comps as you like. Your current hardware does this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CubicleDweller

Right now I'm using a four-port router/modem (D-Link), but the woman-on-the-phone said I'd have to buy a USB modem from them for 150 Euro.

As far as I know, (some of the regulars here can hopefully confirm this) Eircom are breaking the law if they tell you that you have to buy the modem off them. They're allowed to sell you one if you want it, but they have to offer you the option of providing the service only, if you already have your own equipment.

I'd call them again, and see if they say the same thing. If they do, ask to speak to a supervisor to confirm it. Ask for his/her name, and tell them you'll be writing to ComReg about this.

I'd lay good odds that they'll back down before you get that far.

And the D-Link kit (I've got a DSL-504) works fine with RADSL, by the way. It has a few niggling issues (see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110187 ) but those probably apply to normal ADSL too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭NakedHedgehog

thanks guys.

as for the "have" to - I'm sure I wouldn't have to buy it from them and that it was merely the uninformed person on the other line.

If I can use my router, then that's all that's necessary :)

So - do I understand correctly that I could get the UTV service as well using my router mode then, yeh?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CubicleDweller

So - do I understand correctly that I could get the UTV service as well using my router mode then, yeh?

Not sure, as I don't know anything about UTV's service. (I stopped following this forum once I got my IOLBB working, until today - UTV hadn't launched their service last time I was here.)

But I'm guessing that UTV may be re-selling Eircom's product, just like IOL. In which case, it should work fine. If they're somehow providing a service without re-selling the Eircom one, then it should probably still work - D-Link seems to support lots of different ADSL/RADSL versions...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The router will work fine with UTV Clicksilver, no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

As far as I know, (some of the regulars here can hopefully confirm this) Eircom are breaking the law if they tell you that you have to buy the modem off them. [/quote[
    They are indeed

Advertisement