Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the best CB?

• 14-08-2003 4:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on who the best centre back in the business is. A list of possibilities (taken from one of Marcts' posts):

Cannavaro, Nesta, Iuliano, Ferrara, Kuffour, Cordoba, Ferdinand, Gallas, Hyypia, Campbell, Henchoz, Montero, Terry, Ayala, Curro Tores, Pellegrino, Capdevilla, Thuram, Maldini(when 1 of a back 3), Simic, Favalli,Stam, Puyol.

Is there any left out and who out of that lot would be considered the best?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

chivu and mexes, hofland too. 3 young solid defenders. nesta has to be the best cb in the world. can keep anyone quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Dont really care tbh...but Puyol is still world class and one of the best. Thats evident cos hes in that list...point prooven. thanks very much.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Originally posted by UbahOne
    Dont really care tbh...but Puyol is still world class and one of the best. Thats evident cos hes in that list...point prooven. thanks very much.;)

I didnt include it and lets see how this pans out. And yer stoopid link doesnt work in Explorer, Netscape or even bloody Opera!! I'd plumb for Nesta though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I think your original point about Puyol was "GRAB HIM! Best cb in the world... ". Now I'm not the best in the world at logic so could you explain to me how this point has been proven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 O2Suck

colin hawkins

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Puyol is not the best centre back in the world, I know this to be true because he is infact one of the best RIGHT backs in the world.

My vote goes for Nesta, with Paolo Maldini a close second.

Originally posted by Seaneh
    Puyol is not the best centre back in the world, I know this to be true because he is infact one of the best RIGHT backs in the world.

My vote goes for Nesta, with Paolo Maldini a close second.

Thank you Jesus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Cannavaro

IMHO I reckon McGrath was the best CB of all time

I am not Jesus, but I could tell you of him.

Originally posted by irish1

IMHO I reckon McGrath was the best CB of all time

IMHO you are talking through your arse, no offence like.

• Advertisement

So am i still wrong if i say Puyol is ONE OF THE BEST CB in the world today?

Baresi sweeping behind Moore and McGrath with Maldini on the left and Phil Neal on the right- try to get past that back 5:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Seaneh
    IMHO you are talking through your arse, no offence like.

None taken like but as I said "IMHO" was the best or at the very least one of the best.

I'll accept that he was in his day the best in england and easily the best for Ireland, but I'll never believe he is comparible to Baresi,Franz Beckenbauer, Maldini or a hoast of others.
    Quality player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Alpay is also one of the best defenders around, dont forget he made the team of the world cup.

.............Hey no Gary Breen there either!:eek:

oh, u left out phil babb too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

my choice of the two best centre backs in the world are Thuram right/centre back and chivu left/centre back as for picking an altime centre back is way too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

This is a no-brainer.......the mighty.....the great......Pascal Cygan!

But seriously the best CB in the world(at the moment) is Nesta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Nesta(Milan)
    Maldini(Milan)
    Chivu(Roma)
    Ayala(Valencia)
    Alpay(Aston villa)
    Walter Samuel(Roma)
    Fabio Cannavaro(Internazionale)
    Gazika Mendieta(Lazio)
    John Terry(Chelsea)
    Rio Ferdinand(Man U)

mendieta isnt a cb. he's a defensive midfielder.

oh, what about salif diao to add to cygan and babb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Alan Kernaghan (with Eddie McGoldrick partnering)

So am i still wrong if i say Puyol is ONE OF THE BEST CB in the world today?

Yes, yes you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Alan Kernaghan (with Eddie McGoldrick partnering)
    LOL, Breen and Babb wouldn't stand a chance:D

God, imagine if the Irish team had McGrath and Lawro now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Nesta. He's the best overall footballer on that list, quite apart from general defensive ability.

When it comes to man-marking and taking someone out of a game, Fabio Cannavaro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

does nobdy rate paddy christy of Dublin or seamus Moynihan ?

only kiddin...

Nesta IMO is the biz but I also like that Puyol lad...will be the best in the world soon ...maybe after this season if he has a good one

I also like that Puyol lad...will be the best in the world soon ...maybe after this season if he has a good one

Thank you. I also agree with you...hes not the best in the world yet...but hes easily one of the best and will be the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

a couple of people mentioned alpay. Well if u saw the match today ull change ur mind that has to be the worst performance by an international baring only breen and babb.

lets summarise his game today:his fault for the 2 goals. he missed a sitter. he fouled hayden fox just before allback scored and the goal was dissalowed. he ended up in the left wingers positon on several occasions. he was so funny to watch today. S.H.I.T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I'd have to go with Nesta!!

But back in the day, it'd have to be McGrath ... IMO his best ever match in the Green would have to be the disrupted match in Lansdowne ... He kept Shearer in his pocket & at the time Shearer was on-fire & McGrath was really suffering with his knees!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement