Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance

• 14-08-2003 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Going down this w'end to look for accomandation need somewhere that accepts rent allowance also does anyone know if i can get the social to pay for some of my deposit (on the back to eduaction). Starting off very badly this year haven't even started college this year yet and skint already doubt loads of carry outs for me.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You a vtos student?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Vxxxx

No just on the dole 6mths before started college so getting back to education since handy!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

how is the dole payed
    - into bank account?
    - by personal collection, from where?
    - what age must you be to get it?
    - must you have worked (properly) before getting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

theres a few different types of payments which u could have under the heading dole ( correct me if im wrong ) but if u are in full time education you are not allowed to collect it . on the other hand things like rent allowance and the grant u might get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

No you can't get the doll while your a full time student!
    I'll answer all questions when i get home!
    Me MA is the branch manager of my local doll office so I'm sure she can help out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Vxxxx

It's not the dole you receive it's called Back to education Allowance. You must be 18 or over and on the dole 6mths before you can apply for the BTE. It is paid into to bank account you can also get grant and rent allowance as well but as usual there are certain guidelines and situations you must fall under eg. parents income etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it may as well be the dole:)
    theres not much difference,
    Talk to vtos asw ell:)
    get ur books etc paid for

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭kegan5

:( how come I didnt know about all this free money stuff!
    Kegan5 really wants free money :(

I'm going on a mini march to demand free money

K

prob cause u wouldnt be entitled to it

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

and to get a rental allowance you have to be paying tax for 6 months and the person your rentin from has to be paying tax and registered as renting the house - which is very hard to find in Carlow as none of them are registered!!!!

Calling taxman to carlow - you can collect lots of money!!

• Advertisement

also carlow it have a student support fund set up if you need it!! once you pay registration fee you can apply to recieve a weekly or lump sum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭kegan5

Whats that fund all about?
    Can I just go in and say "Uh huh I need money" and they just give it to me?

Id it paid back to them or what?

Kate

its like a grant!! you hill out a form to say that you need assistance etc. and fill out all your details. they bring it in front of a board and the rest is up to them!! not many people apply for it so your chances of getting it are high!! i might apply for it - free money i suppose!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

You can get it but there are two hitches:

1) half of ireland rents out houses but very few pay tax. Most landlords wont take RA for this reason mainly.

and secondly

2) if you're on RA on a BTE grant they don't pay for the summer holidays. But you might get your deposit paid if you ask from the CWO out of supplemantary allowances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 zoe101

I am in college part time at night and also workin part time. Claiming unemployment assistance for the days i am not working. Am livin with parents but am saving up for a deposit on accommodation. will be moving in with my boyfriend. am i entitled to rent allowance?

i doubht it unless your on very low wages,but talk to your local social welfare office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

its like a grant!! you hill out a form to say that you need assistance etc. and fill out all your details. they bring it in front of a board and the rest is up to them!! not many people apply for it so your chances of getting it are high!! i might apply for it - free money i suppose!!!

Yeah but thats the thing: it needs board approval, doesnt it? Cant just go and say "yeah, Im not making enough money to pay for the broadband..or the cds....or the alchohol......" and expect the ching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Brynkay

hi, this isnt really the right thread but cant find anything more appropriate, does anyone know if you have been on vtos and drop out of college does your dole payment get resumed or will you be back to fresh claims ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

RA apartments are hard to get trust me you may start looking for one now. If you end up finding one we talking 40 to 30min walk to college. I couldn't find an apartment last year and I was moving down from dublin so I missed my place in college but I have an apartment now not RA by the way just sharing. I am looking forward to my first year this september.

Note: If you going to Full Time Education you are hardly entituled to any thing you have to struggle as a student. In my case I have to work at least 19hours a week with a kid to take care of.

Good Luck mate find RA house don't give up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

If they haven't found a RA Appartment in the last 5 years, they may just give up...

• Advertisement
Advertisement