Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it even possible to find a flat in Dublin to rent to live alone in?

Options
  • 14-08-2003 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

and how much would it be ?

I am 21 and sick of living with my parents .. i want to move out maybe in the nexy few months .. nobody i know whats to move outta of there parents and i don't like the idea of flat sharing with strangers ..

is this even possible i don't want to live somewhere awful but of course i'm not expecting the ritz either ..

so what i am asking is if even it where possible to find a place where you could live by yourself .. How much in general would the minimum price of a small flat apartment to rent each week/month to be ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The problem is that you want a one-bedroom flat. But of course with that you have to have a bathroom at minimum, and probably a small area to cook stuff and laze around watching telly. That's what makes one-beds so expensive. When there's more bedrooms, there's more people to share the cost.

If you're lucky you could find somewhere for €600/month, but it'll be far from the Ritz. A friend of mine used to have a place, where the drainage pipe from the toilet upstairs continually dripped down to her flat below. Paying €600/month. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

You've pretty much got two options.

1. Go get a room in a house with strangers - everyone has to do this at some stage (or most people at least) - there are horror stories but then again you may make some great new friends.

2. Rent a bedsit for yourself and live in squalor (unless you have piles of cash and can afford your own decent flat - which I doubt you do)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Which is worth more to you: being away from your parents or having the €800 that would otherwise go to a landlord?

Have you suggested to your parents that they build a "granny flat"? That way they get to improve the value of their property while you get to be home away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It is possible though takes a lot of looking.

I moved flat recently from sharing with someone to my own place (they decided to move back home...) .

I really didnt want to go through all the hasstle of moving again anytime soon, so looked at many many places.

Would guess it was probably over 100 flats :(, it is an exausting process and some landlords charge a fortune for total dump.

However i now have my own place in a nice area half way between Terenure and Rathgar. . I have cable , i have broadband, and a satellite dish in the backgarden for €480 every 4 weeks (ie €520 per month) not including bills for the above of course.

I looked at some depressing dumps that cost a lot more before finding this place.

One word of advice...bring cash when looking for a flat..ppl that delay loose..

If you look at a place and say i'll take it..here is the cash...most landlords quickly forget who saw it last and had to make their mind up..

If you see a nice place ..grab it.!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Peaadina

It is possible, and has been done, bedsits are always dingy, i personally would recommend moving into a house with others students or whatever, i did it when i was 18 and i made some life long friends and fantastic enemys!lol but life was never Dull!
    moving out from under the olds is essential,god im stuck back at home now at the minute and its driving me mad but its all for the good of my thesis!
    look on www.daft.ie for a place and the evening herald. set yourself a budget and decide if its what you really want, cos it is really weird when u move out on your own 1st. hence why doing it alone isnt all that advisable!
    with the leavin results just out there will be loads of ppl looking for places to share which is great. its nearly always better to move in with someone u dont know and hate them than with a friend and end up hating them! but a mix of both is best ie someone u know and someone u dont!
    well in my book :p
    best of luck if u do decide to do it :) ww)

• Advertisement
Advertisement