Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 14-08-2003 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭

Hi Can anyone tell me what the plannet is next to the moon? is it Venus?
    If it is Can you tell me where i can find Mars.
    Thanks J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

If it is the one doing an arc at the south at the moment than it is mars, last night i looked out and it was just next to the moon so perhaps it was the same for both of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

It was Mars, Venus is very close to the Sun right now and not visible. Mars will be bright and low down in the south/south-west for the next couple of months. For folks with telescopes, Uranus and Neptune are around there also (mag 5.7 and 7.8 respectivly)

I've uploaded http://groups.yahoo.com/group/irishfas/files/mars-skymap-150803.pdf

which plots where everything was at midnight last night.

Cheers,
    ~Al
    --
    IAS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

Thanks for that i have just won the bet !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Even with all the news reports about the proximity of Mars, I was surprised that many people had bothered to go out and look on the night in question (Wednesday was it?). I was rather amused when the day after, when I commented on Mars again, some of the same people were astonished it was still there. They thought it just made an appearance that night! :rolleyes:

Advertisement