Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Plasma in Ireland?

Options
  • 14-08-2003 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

The best value Plasma Ive seen is the €3699 Hitachi PMA400E on Richersounds.ie . They also have a cheaper Samsung, both are 42".

It would be nice to see what Im buying, but does anyone know anywhere cheaper (even online etc)?

Powercity are €1300 more expensive for the Samsung! :eek:

Matt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

WHY PLASMA !?!?!

They are too expensive for their poor image. The technology has too many problems and is virtually dead.
    Some of the problems Plasmas Screen have:
    1. poor Contrast ratio
    2. Limited life
    3. Dead pixels
    4. Burnt images (if you put something for a long period it will burn into the screen - like the E4 logo or the red Sky bottom etc)
    5. Too expensive

The only advantage I see in these screens is :
    1. size
    2. you can hang it on the wall
    3. very sexy - and a nice show off piece of kit

Check this technology that will kill the LCD and Plasmas in the not that far future - it's called OLED

I will stil recommend to stay (or get) a nice cheap TV for normal use and get a projector (both for the same price of the "cheap" Plasma) and have the best of both worlds - good TV and 100" image fro DVDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Well well, I to was graced by MartinHSabag, I was wondering if you had left me out and replied to every other thread here last night.

I know about OLED. Looks nice, but unfortunately I live in the present and its in the future. I also have a LCD projector already.

In regards to your con plasma arguments, they mostly are wrong or irrelevant these days, except of course in regards the price:

1: Plasma has better contrast than a projectors and a good plasma (3000:1 Contrast) is better than many CRTs. Im not sure what you are comparing the contrast to.. but Plasma is excellent.
    2: Lifespan on a Plasma is 30,000 hrs, around 16yrs. I have never seen any TV last that long personally, so I would consider Plasma to have long lifespan.
    3: LCD technology can be plagued with dead Pixels, Plasma isnt LCD. Dead pixels are rare in plasma and if they happen are usually "black" and not bright like on LCDs.
    4: You can "deburn" burnt in images anyway, but most if not all current and last gen Plasmas feature pixel shifting, they move the image around a pixel at a time to help prevent burnins. This movement is not noticable to the eye.

Your views on Plasma, like many other anti-Plasma people, seem to be based on the half truths and myths that appeared when Plasma was introduced years ago. Things move on..

Matt

Cheers Matt
    Fair enough, it seems you've done your homework.
    The contrast I've compared was not on spec data-sheet but in real life including 6K Euro Plasmas.

The life span is great - again on the paper - not even one plasma reached that time so we'll have to wait and see.

LCD will replace Plasma when the reliability in production will make the prices drop- LCD is better.

I never read about "De-burning" a burnt images but know about different types of "screen-Savers" like the pixel shift, however not every Plasma has them and usualy it's not in the cheap ones - just something to be aware of.

Hey, it's seems that you are already set on a plasma - so no point in trying to shange your mind.
    The Value-for-money, like in everything in life is subjective and personal - if it works for you it's great !

Enjoy your new Plasma !

Originally posted by MartinHSabag

Enjoy your new Plasma !

If I put my money where my mouth is and actually find and buy one! :D

Matt

LOL

My fingers are crossed for you anyway, ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

TNS distribution do a Relisys 42" plasma at about 2750 ex vat.

Hmm... TNS: We are a trade only organisation who...

Im not a business, hence the posting in Home Entertainment forum! :p

Pity, as they are based about 3min from my house.

Matt

Just grab a company who will sell it on to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Set up as a sole trader - free of charge. Buy the Plasma under your new company, and then claim the VAT back - simple and worth it.

thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Do you fancy telling me how to do that in a PM. Always wondered but cant find a good resource for it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by thegills
    Set up as a sole trader - free of charge. Buy the Plasma under your new company, and then claim the VAT back - simple and worth it.

thegills
    Now I don't think thats a good idea.
    Assuming you set yourself up as a sole trader doing nothing other than buying one Plasma screen in order {clear as day to anyone} just to claim the vat back on it.

How do you think the Tax inspector is going to react at your first VAT audit??? which by the way will most likely be shortly after your first claim.
    He/She will be asking for the money back plus interest and charges.
    Whilst also putting the rest of your tax affairs under his/her very watchfull eye and perhaps finding that you owe him/her lots more money.

It will end up costing you a lot more if you go down that road , the revenue are not eejits.

mm

Buy it from a company and pay the vat, unfortunately its the only way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i may (repeat may) have 1 other suggestion. if you have a car either goto the UK (or perhaps N Ireland) AND BUY ONE THERE. now perhaps someone can correct me, but if you pay VAT in an EU country then that would mean you can import it here.....

anyone else heard of this or know if its true oris it another 'sole trader' type story......

as far as i can see they are cheaper to buy even with sterling conversion

The is not VAT to pay when moving stock from one EU country to another, so yes, would save a couple of percent on VAT and also benefit from better prices in general.

However, driving from Belfast its 104 miles to Dublin. Plasmas are not known for their travel friendliness (must be kept upright and no sudden bangs). If I took it down myself and it was damaged I would be SOL.

It is a possibility, perhaps as a last resort!

Matt

Advertisement