Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS Flashing

Options
  • 14-08-2003 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Will flashing my BIOS let me adjust the fsb speed on my mobo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Keith@modified

It depends

Do a bit of reserch on ur mobo,

"They" say not to flash ur Bios unless u realy have to.

It can go pear shaped so be warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

firstly, ask around for other people with the mobo, see what firmware they have, and what options they have available in their bios. Then try and download a version that seems to unlock what you want unlocked, otherwise don't. Don't flash a mobo "just to see what happens". If it goes wrong, you;re screwed, unlike a cd-rom drive which you can just keep re-flashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Actually if you screw up a bios flash it is possible to recover... its rather difficult though - you have to have another working motherboard of the same make/model which you boot up off. Once you're booted into dos or whatever you hot-swap the bios chips and reflash the dud one. (Have seen it done successfully!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

its possible, but very hard. But if the worst comes to the worst, some companies sell new bois chips. e.g. abit sells em for their mobo's for less than $10 a pop. i'm sure komplett would order em in if you asked nicely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the best advice while working with computers is

" if it is not broken don't try to fix it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I tried flashing my bios trying to but a cool pic on my startup screen, it turned to be the wrong resolution or something and busted it up, luckily the guy I got it from had a damaged motherboard the same as mine and was so kind as to pry out the bios and give it to me :), never touched bios again until reciently, have a gigabyte board now which has automatic updating and failsafes.

Advertisement