Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 1991

Options
  • 14-08-2003 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hey guys,

Just a quick question.

A few of my friends have been talking in the Pub about the Leaving Cert which we did in 1991.

Some of us failed Ordinary Level Irish, does that mean that we actually failed our Leaving Certs???.
    Most of us just thought that when you pass 5 subjects you have passed the Leaving Cert.
    None of us really had any interest in going to College,we all settled into jobs pretty easily.
    Whats your opinion??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭dNC | Tickle

Once you pass any five subject you have the CERT, ie. if you fail maths and pass five others, you have passed the leaving certificate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

No college will accept anyone with just 4 passes regardless of their points total. You need at least 5 and to get into a uni u need 2 or 3(TCD) higher level hons plus the passes and the points.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Dunno if it is a myth either,think ti is though as foundation Irish is offered but colleges dont accpet it:)

To do any straight degree course u need 2 lc honours:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by eireboy
    Just thought I'd tell you that you can't actually fail the leaving cert! don't mind all the bullsh*t people say. you can only fail on what you intend to do in the future. For example, you need 5 passes for an apprenticeship. If you only passed 4 subjects and you got an A1 in each you are not going to get refused from a college needing less than 400 points for entry.

Biggest load of cráp ever.

You need five passes to get your Leaving Cert. Anything under and you have not passed your Leaving Cert. Every college has ceratin requirements. The NUI colleges need a pass in English/Irish and Maths in at least Ordinary level, foundation is not except in college. I think in TCD you can use IRish or a foreign langauge. These are the minimum requirments and a course that lists AQA as its points needs only these minimum requirements. However if you get 600 and want a 180 point course, you will not get it if you fail Englsih/Irish/Maths.

So you couldn't be more wrong eireboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 darthdublin

Cheers Guys,

To be honest with you, I'm well out of touch here. What the hell is "foundation" Irish. In 1991 you had either Ordinary Irish or Higher Level Irish. What is "foundation"???. Whats the difference between them. Is it a totally different syllabus???.

Im interested to know.

Cheers guys.

• Advertisement

Foundation is for the really slow/lazy people.

Dont see the point in it, no college excepts it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Well actually Sangre a few do. Cant remeber exactly, I know DCU do... by college I assume you mean university ? I did it as I simply cant grasp languages no matter how hard I try. No, I am not slow either you're just a fool

I knew I'd offend someone :/
    Pfft I don't actually think people are slow if they do foundation...unless they actually are.

And I did mean university, I think the Garda etc it aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by damnyanks
    ... by college I assume you mean university ?
    Whats the difference between college and university in Ireland???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Foundation irish/maths/english are there to cater for people who either aren't as academic as most or have learning disabilities eg are dyslexic and have to work alot harder to achieve alot less academically,

Even for IT's in this country you need English or irish and it is the same for some of the uni's,

Colleges- we are normally refering to institutes of technology
    or Post leaving cert colleges normally run by the vec

Universitys- we dont have very many,they are harder to get into

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 darthdublin

Cheers Guys,

One more question.

When did this "Foundation Leaving Cert" come about??.
    In 1991 all we had was Lower and Higher.
    When did foundation leaving cert actually start??

Jaysus I feel well out of it at the moment.

I think I should stick to watching Black and White TV and go in and use my Atari ST!!!.......haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

reguarding the college thing techincally arn't there only institues and unis? because i attended a "college" which was my secondary school soo.... wouldn't any higher level education be reguarded as a university or IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

A University can award its own qualifications(degrees and above) with the need of any outside body although the outside bodies normally have input into courses i.e. other universities/ professional bodies etc.
    Universities can consist of several college i.e UCD/UCG/UCC all belong to the National University of Ireland which awards the degress. UL/DCU are universities with only college and award and their own degrees.

The ITs/VEC/DIT generally have there degree/diplomas/certs awarded by outside bodies i.e. state bodie or other universities.
    Originally the ITs/DITs were set up to cater for technican/apprentiships but they have migrated to offering degrees.

On a side note a lot of the private 3rd level colleges have their degrees awarded by UK universites.

Advertisement