Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comics Annuals

• 14-08-2003 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting nostalgic about the annuals I used to read when I was younger!

In particular:

One really cool 2000AD annual that I read over and over again - the first story was a Judge Dredd one - he was stamping down on heavy metal clubs as that type of music had been banned in his time, he discovers an underground club where all the metallers are listening to their music on headphones and turns the volume up to the maximum level - all the metallers' head explode at the end! There was also a story about a guy who got arm transplants, ending up with 4 arms, so as to be in fashion but the arms still have memories of their past owner who was a murderer and the choke the guy to death. That was so cool:)

I also rembember there was a logo in Latin (or maybe pseudo-Latin) written on the back.

Anybody know what year this could have been published and also, if it is possible to buy 2nd hand copies of such annuals anywhere, apart from hoping to find them at garage sales?

I also liked Bunty and other annuals with girls' names - some of them had really cool ghost, time travel and space stories and I'm sure they're the reason why I love comics nowadays.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Was I really the only kid to read those types of annuals?:confused:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Was I really the only kid to read those types of annuals?

Possibly, although I remember reading Beano and Dandy annuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I always used to get the Viz annual for Chrimbo- "The Rusty Sheriff's Badge" et al - classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I got the Dandy and Warlord annuals on a couple of occassions (circa 1984) - still have them tucked away somewhere too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I always got an annual for christmas day from Santa!!

Then for about 2 months after christmas, I'd get 1 every Friday, because they'd have been reduced to a pound each!!

I always got Wizzer & Chips, Beano, Dandy, The Bash Street Kids & a loads more :D:D

I'm gonna get me some of those next christmas :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mainly a beano man when i was a young'n.
    then i moved on to 2000ad, then viz (buster gonad was teh win:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

When we were younger each of us got a comic each week, and the annuals at christmas. i got the dandy, by brother the beano, my older sisters the mandy and the bunty, I then graduated to the mandy, and was also allowed get the bunty when my sister grew out of it.

I hate to admit this but i still have all my annuals and worse to come but..... my mother still gets them for me at christmas.. sad! (I'm 23)
    But she reckons my collection is worth money, I have them dating from the early forties(the Mandy and Bunty).

Worse again, but up to a few years ago if I was pi$$ed off I would pull them out and read them. (I can't understand this one myself).

Either way, there is a market in galway somewhere, where you can still buy these annuals, am in prague at the mo, but will find out for you when i get home.

gogo

Advertisement