Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to share a connection?

Options
  • 14-08-2003 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

ok, here is what i think, how to share a connection

the things i need are:

4 port router(i have 2 pcs now but i'm planning to get a laptop and make a wireless connection, so the 3rd port will be occupied by access point) btw can you recommend any good router?

2 wires UTP cat5 (right?) to connect ethernet cards on my pcs to the router

ok now that everything is connected to the router, i'll config my systems to operate on TCP/IP protocol

is everything right here?

the only thing that i don't get is:

you have to dial in to DSL line with pass/login right?

so when you want both pcs to be connected to the internet(you wanna work on them both at once), you have to dial from both pcs? i think it's not possible, so i made a mistake somewhere there, can anyone correct please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

works like this

pc connects via network card to router

its a network connection so its always connected..

addressing will be server by the router..
    so any1 can just plug in a wire and they get all the settings straight off.
    utp cat5 is 8 wire cable, ur looking to use straight through cable.

router is a switch and adsl modem, so the only thing doing the dialing up is the router..

u will have configured dial on demand on the router..

so if a net connection is not already dialed, it dials it out..

its instant dialup. its always on as such

good router is dlink 604, its switch/adsl modem and access point in 1.

my setup is a 504 and a an access point connected into one of its switch ports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You can connect 2 pc's and a wireless laptop without any router or access point. Give the first pc your current adsl modem and a wireless network card. Connect the second pc to the first with some crossover cat5 cable. Connect the laptop to the first pc through the magic of wi-fi. All 3 devices can now share a connection (even a 56k one if you're that way inclined). The one drawback is that the first pc needs to be switched on for the others to be connected. You can get around this by using Wake-On-Lan so the other comps can start it up or shut it down remotely. I'd say this setup would save you €150-€200

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

k, got it!, thanks guys!

Advertisement