Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PM Feature

Options
  • 15-08-2003 10:37am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there anyway to change the default setting for the feature which displays a pop-up when you get a PM to YES?

It's annoying to not get a reply from a member because they haven't checked their inbox.

Should be easy to do and would really help me out :)

Thx admins....
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Even a reply to say 'No, **** off' would be better than nothing admins/smods/mods.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Sounds good, unfortunately the admins have real lives too and this is a bad time for some of us...

I think this should be a straightforward edit of the User CP options template - anyone else want this?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

KEY FUCKING RYSTE. What is it with everyone and their demanding nature recently. Take note that this is not the way to get me to do anything for you. The other admins are much nicer individuals than I and may be open to this attitude, but you may as well make your chances higher by keeping us all onside.

If you post here, I will read it. I might decide that I'm not sure what to do, or wait to see what other people will say, and yes, I may even forget about what you said or suggested (I have a full time job, part time study, and I train most days of the week for most of the year. I try to stay on top of boards stuff, but to be honest I'm not managing it too well lately. Most of the other admins are in the process of looking for a new job, or getting used to a new job. Things might just be a little bit slow for a while.). Throw us a gentle reminder, not a bleedin' demand.

It actually says the bit about "If you have a problem with our site ..." under the Admin/Support forum, not this one. If you want direct communication with the admins, and only the admins, then use that forum. If you want to invite other people's opinions on such matters then use this forum. In this case, since we want to know if users in general would find this a nice thing to have or not, other people's opinions (and especially reasons and good arguments one way or another) are pretty much essential before deciding what to do.

My initial reaction is that it's a bit intrusive to get the popup turned on by default, perhaps the e-mail notification would be better. What does anyone else think?

This is a good idea, and since there's been no objections (yet) I've modified the template so that when new users register this option is on by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ecksor
    My initial reaction is that it's a bit intrusive to get the popup turned on by default, perhaps the e-mail notification would be better. What does anyone else think?
    If it needs to be changed at all, I like that one.

(personally I've them both turned on but it isn't too much trouble to read the little writing next to the radio boxes when signing up. Clicking "yes" in Opera with popups turned off (my settings) results in nothing happening anyway (and no, I couldn't give a monkeys if you never change that))

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sceptre
    If it needs to be changed at all, I like that one.

Okay that's two for turning on e-mail notification of PMs by default, two for pop-ups - anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

This is for new users right?

If so - yes to popups and no to email notification. Anyone hazardous enough to not notice this box when signing up should have to request in the cp at a later date. Maybe it's just me but surely this is like triplicating a job that should be duplicated - unless triplication is expressly wanted it shouldn't be defaulted.

Or is sending an email not really a big deal in bandwidth etc terms?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

my vote goes for popups just because that way a new user will be introduced to the system. A lot of people dont use their main email address to sign up for stuff and so wouldnt get the email.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Definatly yes to the pop-ups.

Speeds up the whole PM process, as you get notification aslmost immediatly, when you sign in, or when you're browsing other boards, so it saves the time and effort it takes to check emails, or go into the PM inbox, but I've also noticed something really handy about it.

When a user joins for the first time, they could automatically receive a PM stating the rules and what not. It's more likely they'll read that than an email or a link that leads to an FAQ.

Just a short reminder like, with all the relevant links and stuff.

It happened to me on led-zeppelin.com, and it caught my attention alright.

Advertisement