Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New software update on NTL Digital (v5.36)

• 15-08-2003 10:59am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got up this morning, plugged in the STB & and on the front of it, it started to count from 1 to 1000 very quickly , after that all different words were coming up on it like EAAS & LAIT. (I haven't got a clue what they mean) & it lasted about 3-4 mins. ( I thaught the box had snuffed it)

Anyway, when it finally rebooted this came up on on the screen :

We have updated your STB. Subtitles may now be available on some channels using the teletext feature on your TV. For more info, press the help button on your remote control, select topics & go to"whats new".

When you press help it says that the new version is v5.36.

And thankfully all the widescreen switching problems are now finally sorted. :D

Anyone else got this update yet ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by celticfc
    Subtitles may now be available on some channels using the teletext feature on your TV.

does NTL not do digital subtitles?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    does NTL not do digital subtitles?

Yeah, but only on BBC One, BBC Two, UTV & Channel 4. I'm not sure if any others do now, I'll check l8r.

Originally posted by cableguy
    My black "NTL" logo screen at the very start has turned white now.

I noticed that alright.
    It's a pity they didn't update it to CR3 but I don't see us getting that for a good while anyway. :(

I've also noticed that when you press the numbers for what channel you want to see, they come up on the top of the screen & not just on the box.

Celtic that should have always happened.
    I've never seen one not doing that.
    Looks like they brought you up to speed with the rest of us.
    :p:p

What software version did you have then ?
    It never happened to me before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I'm still on v5.26....tried rebooting about 5 times and nothing updating here.....I did get error1004 I think once!
    I've never seen the channel number appearing on screen as you type it in :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

If I recall a thread around the time the new STB was introduced, those with the silver STB were already on a higher version number than us... I certainly don't have the channel no appearing on the TV, only on the STB.

I haven't got this update, and a full reboot hasn't done anything for me.

I wonder what the code is to make the box do a forced update...

(/me goes off to DigitalSpy...)

Not that i took much notice but i think it was 5.26. Not 100% sure though.
    That screen header should always appear when changing channels.
    For the poor souls that have the silver STB its the only way of knowing what number you're on.

Me thinks you got it wrong cableguy :p:D

It did appear when you change channels but not while your typing in the channel number. It used only to come up on the STB.

Patrick & Ronan, did yez leave the plug out for over a minute ?

BTW are your widescreen channels switching properly (ie. attheraces, flaunt, scuzz & the amp) ??

E4 & Sky One are still stuck in letterbox here :mad: - all the others seem to be ok though.

Also we only have a 3 day EPG now (like the UK) :mad: :mad: instead of an 8 day EPG but it gives listings until 1 am instead of 12 am.

Yes I did.....was off all night and this morning it's still on 5.26. Perhaps they have control over certain areas in Dublin, and can upgrade them at will. I'm in the D13 area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I too am still on 5.26....ive been consdtantly complaning to them about hanging sometimes when you change channels...cause i reckon of bad response time between box and remote.

new sw uprade sounds like its a heck of alot improvements.

is there full teletext available with the new sw verrsion?

J

• Advertisement

I cant get any teletext to work at all on it. I don't know what their on about. :confused:

I have to admit though, since I've got this update I haven't seen any picture breakup or any stopping & starting (maybe it's just a coincidence).

Here are the main differences I've noticed:

Widescreen switching fixed (except for E4 & Sky One)
    Only a 3 day EPG instead of 8 day. (Must be saving on bandwidth)
    Numbers come up on screen as you type them in purple header
    Browse function works differently
    Appears to be less break-up in picture

Where abouts in Dublin are you Washout. I'm in Tallaght & everyone around my area seems to have got it.

Still on 5.26

Tried the code for a forced software download (apparently Services-Right) and it didn't work (gave me Er24). Up-Down did get me into the engineering menu, but that didn't give an option for a forced software download.

Originally posted by icdg
    Still on 5.26

Tried the code for a forced software download (apparently Services-Right) and it didn't work (gave me Er24). Up-Down did get me into the engineering menu, but that didn't give an option for a forced software download.

Where in Dublin are you ?

Maybe it's just in south dublin at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

It took me about 3 attempts before it updated. I am in Lucan.

Leixlip.

Just something that has crossed my mind - what STBs have been updated? I've got the Di4010, but we know that there are also Di4001 and Di300i (aka the silver STB) on the network. Reading through threads on DigitalSpy, it appears they may all need seperate updates?

Originally posted by icdg
    Leixlip.

Just something that has crossed my mind - what STBs have been updated? I've got the Di4010, but we know that there are also Di4001 and Di300i (aka the silver STB) on the network. Reading through threads on DigitalSpy, it appears they may all need seperate updates?

It must be a box thing alright because I have the (Di4001NC) box & because it seems a bit strange that Dara in Lucan has got it & you haven't in Leixlip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Aardvark

Originally posted by patrickmooney
    I'm still on v5.26....tried rebooting about 5 times and nothing updating here.....I did get error1004 I think once!
    I've never seen the channel number appearing on screen as you type it in :)

After a heart-stopping couple of minutes, covering about 15-20 button-mashing reboots all ending with the STB display sticking on "tune", mine finally got further and displayed "PAt" for five minutes before switching itself into standby. Hitting the Standby button brought it back up with no change whatsoever to the software version. (Still 5.26) I won't be trying that again soon!

Mt mate just got the new Silver box installed today....and it's running version 5.35! I didn't get a change to plunge into it in detail, but I did see that "channel" iD number appear in the header as I entered it on the remote. The remote is also that new silver one, which I must say has increased response time. Now I'm thinking of finding a way for NTL to change me over the the silver box.
    I know over in the UK, they have that 3 day EPG......don't really like the idea of that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Tried reboot last night and low and behold it worked.....thought the STB box was going haywire for about 5 minutes....phew to it all going rather smoothly

I know over in the UK, they have that 3 day EPG......don't really like the idea of that one.

Yeah, It was sometimes handy if you wanted to see if something was on later on in the week but now you can only set it up to record of the box for a maximum of 3 days (kinda useless if you go on holidays). :( Pity it was painfully slow to come up. It comes up almost straight away now. :)

• Advertisement

OK at this stage I'd really like to see the new software...but my box still hasn't updated. Whats the best of getting to look for an update apart from cold reboot. The Engin. screen doesn't really do anything.

OK at this stage I'd really like to see the new software...but my box still hasn't updated. Whats the best of getting to look for an update apart from cold reboot. The Engin. screen doesn't really do anything.

I've after searching the DS forums & I could only find ways to force an update for ex-cwc boxes. There dosent seem to be a way to do it on ntl original boxes. It looks as if ye'll have to wait & see.

What box do you have ?

Is it the Di4010 or the Di4001NC

From memory I believe I have the Di4010.

That must be the problem then, they must have only updated the Di4001NC & the silver box. I'd e-mail them about it, but ye'll probably get it soon anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Latest software updated here today, took an age and 2 boots then around 8 pm went into TUNE mode spent the rest of the evening in that state so I've unplugged it again. Whats the point if its not working!

Thank God for analogue...but for how much longer?

Mike.

Mike do you know which box you have? They must be able to pick areas and boxes to upgrade.

Its a Pace box. It has updated I check the version and its at 5.36
    dated August...

Mike.

Has anyone been able to get the subtitles to work from teletext on any of the channels.

ntl say:
    Subtitles may now be available on some channels using the teletext feature on your TV.
    I cant get them to work at all. :confused::confused:

No not a sausage.....when I got home today the bloody box was in TUNE mode again! :mad:

Mike.

• Advertisement

....and I'm still on 5.26. One think I noticed about my mates box....he has 5.35 (silver box). The help update info says ntl:home will be adding new channels soon and that the new 3day epg is available. Although he's still got the 8 day epg which NTL are advertising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Yeah, I have v5.35 too on the silver box Pace Di-300-N. No amount of unplugging and plugging back in has resulted in the upgrade.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 c96bf0cc

Since NTL's upgrade on my box in Dublin 5 all my box says is 'Pat' on the display. 10 days only analogue tv!!!! I have called NTL numerous times. They were due last Saturday morning...didnt show.... They were due Wednesday evening..turned up hours before they were supposed to...They were due Thursday evening...didnt show. Now they are coming tomorrow morning, as I am with the priority team at this stage. Am I the only one this has happened to???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

Something similar happened me. I rebooted the STB in order to get it to update but it got stuck on 'pat' for ages so I had to reboot it a few times before it went through the upgrade sequence. Its been fine since.

I assume that you have tried to reboot?

Rebooted loads of times. All that happens is a msg on the screen saying my box is being updated and then it hust says pat on the display and an error has occured comes up on the screen for a minute!

Im missing loads of games and spending a fortune down the pub defeating the whole purpose of haveing it!!

What model box do you have, the DI4010, DI4001 or the DI300 (silver) ??

• Advertisement

Judging from pictures on digital spy its the DI4001. They are replacing it tomorrow (If they turn up). Is the silver one better?

Originally posted by c96bf0cc
    Judging from pictures on digital spy its the DI4001. They are replacing it tomorrow (If they turn up).

The DI4001 & DI4010 look exactly the same. (Model type is on the underneath of the box.)

I was just wandering what box you have because all the DI4001 seemed to get the update about 2 weeks ago & none of the DI4010 boxes have been updated yet.
    Originally posted by c96bf0cc
    Is the silver one better?

No, it is a downgraded version of the grey boxes (look back at some old threads for more info)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

I just got NTL digital the other day. Its only v5.35 though. Whats going on? How do i get v3.56?

Hmmm i hate being a noob.:rolleyes:

Can I take it you have the silver box ??

Ye and its model No di-300 n or something.

• Advertisement

None of the silver STB's have been updated yet, only the DI4001 has been updated so far. It seems the different models of boxes need seperate updates.
    There's very little difference between them anyway. Ye'll probably get it soon anyway.

Does it happen itself? I mean i dont have it plugged into the phone line, didnt see the point.

Also sorry to go off topic, but what exactly is the "Interactive" button? I can never seem to get it. Also i can't get player cam either unless i get sky isn't that right?

Thanks!

Originally posted by UbahOne
    Does it happen itself? I mean i dont have it plugged into the phone line, didnt see the point.

You shouldn't have it plugged into the phone line at all, it doesn't do anything. For it to update you should reboot the STB. (ie. plug it out for at least a minute put it back in & it should happen automatically.)
    Also sorry to go off topic, but what exactly is the "Interactive" button? I can never seem to get it. Also i can't get player cam either unless i get sky isn't that right?

What remote control do you have, the silver one or the blue (shark) one ?

There are no interactive features currently availabe on ntl. (see the Sky Sports Xtra thread)

Whats the STB? I assume its the silver box right? or is it the card?

And I have the small silver controller. Its a pretty neat controller actually.

Thanks for the info so far!

Whats the STB? I assume its the silver box right? or is it the card?

And I have the small silver controller. Its a pretty neat controller actually.

Thanks for the info so far!

STB = Set Top Box

As far as I Know there's no interactive button on that remote. On the blue one there are interactive, e-mail & internet buttons, but they do nothing at the moment.

oh its on it alright. Down the bottom.

How come some get one controller and some get another? How come its not standard and the same throughout?

oh its on it alright. Down the bottom.

How come some get one controller and some get another? How come its not standard and the same throughout?

The blue "shark" remote was the only remote available & it works on all ntl pace STB's.
    The small silver remote is only available since they introduced the silver box & it only works on the silver box.

Oh right. Strange way of operating things! :rolleyes:

The silver box is only a cut down version of the grey boxes. It has less ram, no cable modem etc. It was just introduced to save NTL / Pace money.

Thats why they were offering it for half price? Do you think i should ask for the other kind or does it make no difference?

• Advertisement
Advertisement