Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you get the correct speeds from IBB?

• 15-08-2003 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

if you have 1Meg installed, do you constantly download at 100kb/s? 10-15kb/s hops doesn't matter, but i read somewhere here, a guy was complaining about downloading at 7kb/s!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

With a 1 meg line, 8-1 contention leaves you with a minimum of 128k, which equals a minimum of download speed of 16 kb's a second.

I've got the 512k line, and i generally get about 30kb's or faster down. I'd assume you should be able to get about 50kb's down on average (or faster).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

oh man that sucks, i can get 50 and 60 with netsource, i'm going with netsource

i;m quoting minimums here, based on the 512 product! It also depends on what tower your on. up til now the three rock tower was the only good tower (afaik) delivering fast speeds, however, the tallght tower has been refited with new kit, and i;ve noticed a definate improvement over last two days, have yet to drop below 40kb's. I still whole-heartedly recommend IBB, they can only get better and better!

If you;re unlucky on netsource, you'll be on contending with maybe 20+ people, then you get SLOW internet, the most you'll EVER contend with while using IBB is 7 others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

why are wireless contention ratios always lower than adsl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

The contention ratio by itself doesn't mean much, you have to take into consideration the amount of bandwidth they are sharing. With wireless it's usually 8 ppl sharing 1Mb (correct me if IBB are different), worst case is each gets 128k. For properly implemented dsl, the 50:1 share 10Mb, worst case is each gets 200k, but the chances of 50 ppl being on at the same time are a lot less than the full 8 being on wireless so it should always be greater than 200k. Having said that, eircom in their infinite wisdom have decided that 48 ppl should share 2Mb which gives a worst case of about 40Kb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

At the moment I am trialing Ripwave in Ballinteer. When it works I can get 60kbps unfortuantely it is very erractic and loses signal a fair bit (haven't got a decent signal in two days!). Tried ringing them today but they are only available normal office hours which is not good.

This is a shame because I was hoping to be in a position to cancel my ISDN line. Unless things improve that is still not an option.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by MrPinK
    For properly implemented dsl, the 50:1 share 10Mb, worst case is each gets 200k, but the chances of 50 ppl being on at the same time are a lot less than the full 8 being on wireless so it should always be greater than 200k. Having said that, eircom in their infinite wisdom have decided that 48 ppl should share 2Mb which gives a worst case of about 40Kb.
    AFAIK, it is 48 to every 512k not 2Mb. In Britain it is 50 to every 512k with BT's OpenWorld. I'm not sure what the ratio is in other countries. I doubt if there's may where it's 50 sharing a 10 Mb line. That would be very good indeed. It would be equivalent to a 1:2.5 ratio by normal standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Sorry yeah, it's 192 sharing the 2Mb line at the DSLAM. BT using 10Mb lines at their exchanges only means that the 50:1 will take a lot longer to kick in.

I thought netsource split an 8meg pipe between 48 ppl. (but that could be wrong).
    At the moment I am trialing Ripwave in Ballinteer. When it works I can get 60kbps unfortuantely it is very erractic and loses signal a fair bit (haven't got a decent signal in two days!).

This ain't a reflection on IBB. Ripwave isn't even officially released. Try moving the ripwave box to a window facing same direction as tower, i hear they give better performance when they don't have to go through 4 walls in your house :-p
    Sorry yeah, it's 192 sharing the 2Mb line at the DSLAM.

are you sure about this?

Looks like IBB are back in action on the Tallaght tower... check these speeds out. The slowish bit at start was when i was checking e-mails and browsing a bit, then i started downloading...

EDIT: between each vertical line represents one minutes worth of downloading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit

This ain't a reflection on IBB. Ripwave isn't even officially released. Try moving the ripwave box to a window facing same direction as tower, i hear they give better performance when they don't have to go through 4 walls in your house :-p

Firstly it is a reflection on IBB this is a product they are releasing next month. Believe it or not tried the nearest window facing the tower and got a weak signal. However in one of the back rooms got a very good signal which was fine until a few days ago.

I have sent them a mail so I'd hope to have some answers tomorrow and hopefully this can be resolved soon. (but remember I am used to excellent UTV support so they have alot to live up to!).

Gandalf.

the reason they're beta testing is to find these problems. If it turns out that people at the limits of the range (like maybe you are) are getting unstable connections, then they'll not deliver ripwave to those homes. When its released your neibhour might be told they can't get ripwave... and its up to you wether you continue using it or not.

Advertisement