Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENN: Eircom reveals flat-rate price

Options
  • 15-08-2003 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Eircom is set to launch its own flat-rate Internet packages in early September, following in the footsteps of rivals like Esat BT and UTV.

The company has confirmed that on 4 September, it will launch three flat-rate dial-up Internet packages, aimed at light medium and heavy Net users.

The lowest priced package will sell for EUR9.99 per month (including VAT) and will allow users to access the Internet for 25 hours per month during evenings and weekends (off-peak), at no extra cost, with daytime (peak) Net access charged at the standard rate. Users who go beyond the 25-hour limit during off-peak hours will be charged at the standard off-peak rate.

Similarly, a 60-hour off-peak package will sell for EUR19.99 per month and its terms include standard charges for peak calls and calls above the 60-hour limit.

A third package from the firm will allow customers to access the Web for 150 hours per month, anytime, at a cost of EUR29.99 per month, with calls above that limit charged at standard peak and off-peak rates.

Eircom has been tight-lipped about its flat-rate dial-up plans for months, despite massive interest among consumers and businesses in the wake of the induction of flat-rate narrowband Internet services across Ireland in June. Even now, the company is reluctant to say much about the packages beyond their prices, but a spokesperson admitted that advertising and marketing activities should begin as the 4 September launch date draws near.

Pressure on the former telecoms monopoly and ISP has been mounting since UTVip introduced its flat-rate options in June. UTVip offers two flat-rate Internet packages, UTVip Lite, at EUR9.99 for up to 30 hours access, and UTVip XL for EUR24.95 per month for 180 hours' access. However, to avail of UTV's flat rate service, customers must also sign up for UTV's telephony service, which the company says allows customers to make national and international calls at discounted rates.

Esat BT also has its own flat-rate options, which includes two packages for consumers and businesses: consumers can have 180 hours access at anytime for EUR30 per month and businesses can pay EUR45 (ex. VAT) per month for up to 260 hours of access.

Esat BT announced in July that within 30 days of the launch of its flat-rate product, IOL Anytime, it had signed up 3,500 customers. This was, in part, due to the "Earlybird" option the company offered to customers who signed up within the first month of the launch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

€30 for 150 hours?
    yeah, i can really see that trouncing utv's €25 for 180 rate:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭zz03

Originally posted by kevinmcc
    "flat-rate"

Flat rate is a straight line charge. There is nothing flat rate about eircom's fee structure here - ie users who go above the specified time allowance will be charged normal call charges for their internet access online time beyond that point.

Use a flat rate service for one hour or one minute per week or for 168 hours per week, the charge should be the same. The same applies to traffic volumes carried - be it one meg or a zillion megs.

Your TV license is flat rate. The fee doesn't vary whether you use your TV to watch the news once a week or if you have it on all day every day. Eircom dial-up internet is not flat rate, and never has been.

Aside from one or two exceptions, the standard of tech journalism in Ireland regretfully is rather poor. Too much cut and paste from press releases written by back street spin doctors!

zz..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by tman
    €30 for 150 hours?
    yeah, i can really see that trouncing utv's €25 for 180 rate:rolleyes:

I think Eircom's offering will be taken up by many. It is up to ESAT and UTVip to agreesively point out that their products are better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think it will be taken up aswell cos most ppl have loyalty to eircon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The think that I can't understand is why the rivals of Eircom are not being more agressive in the market place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Cork is correct imho!

Quote:- " It is up to ESAT and UTVip to aggresively point out that their products are better value" end quote.

How true, and I believe that UTVip have the edge by offering 25% discount off Eircoms standard telephone call charges!. as well??...

P.;) N.B. {Lets not forget UTVips Broadband Clicksilver offering as well, which makes 3 nearly- flat-rate type- offers available from them!}.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

An eircom rep phoned me about this and also would i come back to them i pointed out that im with UTV and id have to be pretty dumb to change back to Eircom for less hours for more money.She had to agree though she tried to say the difference was because they included vat in the €29.99 but as far as i know UTV,s €24.99 includes vat.Enen if it were true (which its not) id still be throwing away 30 hours a month for the same money.They really dont have a clue do they.

Advertisement