Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poor Classics results

Options
  • 15-08-2003 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

did anyone else get an unexpectedly low classics result?

i shoulda bot a B and got a d2.

Jimeatsmenu choulda got a c and failed.

the A student of hte class got a C2.

have any other of you classical studies heads recieved oddly low grades for the subject?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Xerxes

Yeah, I was disappointed with Classics too.Got a B2 in the pre and thought I would get the same in the Leaving but got a C3.Most of my class got C's too.But still I beat my whopping D3 in Classics last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

My friend wasnt expecting (I think) to count his classics results at all in his 6 subjects. He ended up getting an A1. There was definitely another A1 in his class too. I personally know 3 of the only 10 people in the country who got an A1 in higher level classics. I didn't do classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

My class has unusually high results with two A1's an A2 3 B1's 2 B2's

However my friend, who is much better than me at classics got a B2, when the worst mark he ever got before was an A2. I think it all depends on how many A's the correcter has already given out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Originally posted by PHB
    I think it all depends on how many A's the correcter has already given out.

jeebus i know the marking system in ireland isnt the fairest but would they really operate on a first come, first served A1's, basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

true, there is actually a quota of As that can be given out.
    Our TD teacher did us a graph of what percentage A's, B's etc. that should be given out, with the majority getting lows Bs and Cs.

This may seem somewhat immoral, but generally its the syllabus thats changed and not the grades if too many score highly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Originally posted by sionnach
    jeebus i know the marking system in ireland isnt the fairest but would they really operate on a first come, first served A1's, basis?

People mark examination scripts, not computers.

Well, classics has an incredibly low amount of A's, so i figure that they had already given out two A1's and one A2 in a batch on 15, and they didnt want to give out another one, tahts why he only got a b2.
    Thats my logic anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

what the fudge is classics?

Classics is Greek and Roman history.It's a really wide subject, with stuff like art, architecture, philosophy, poetry and stuff on Alexander the Great.All the stuff on the Gladiator film is Classics.Anyone know how many did it this year?

I'd say very very few.
    I did the pelponesian wars, and everyone else i know did alexander.

• Advertisement

We did : Alexander the Great
    Oedipus and Medea
    Greek Art and Architecture
    Writers of the Augustan Age (Horace, Ovid, Livy and
    Propertius)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

yeh i was pretty dissapointed. i got a B even though for the last 2 years i have never gotten below 90% in a test or homework!
    but i did manage to get an A in biology where i was expecting a B so i guess it all evens out in the end :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

i did classics for 4 months and got a C3... higher level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

I think that unless you get an inexperienced corrector, the marks are generally going to be doled out fairly on merit.

For example, out of twenty doing higher level chemistry, we got 13 A1s this year, which ****s over the statistics like there is no tomorrow.

Yes but classics is a special subject with a old of old correcters who want to keep classics known as the hardest subject in the leaving cert to get an A1 in.

Advertisement