Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the best job for a student

• 15-08-2003 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I am sixteen years old and going into college next month. I have never had a job in my life and I am living in the city centre area. I will obviously need a bit of spare cash while I'm studying but I haven't got a clue where to go. This will probably sound stupid but I don't like working with the public, for example bar work and shop assistant, even though they would be the most obvious choice for a student. I worked for a week as a kitchen porter this summer and I thought it was good. Anyone got any ideas for part-time work???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

a great job i had was working in a theatre part-time. only got 3 or 4 nights a week, and you do have to deal with the public a bit, but it was really cushy. spend 15 or 30 minutes taking tickets off people and showing them to their seats (didn't always do this) then watch the first half of the show or read a book in the foyer, then sell programs/coffee/tea for 15 minutes followed by second half of show followed by saying goodnight to everyone. People are generally very nice when they're going to the theatre, its not like they're gonna hassle you that things are too expensive or anything. just a nice relaxing easy job - and my boss was dead sound!

you could also try the cinemas, but think that would be a tougher job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Bar work,
    You meet loads of interesting people work while listening to music, get bought pints by regulars, and get to chat up any fit birds that want drink.

Loved it when I was a student.
    Just be careful if you like rock music you don't end up workin in some handbag place or vice versa, will drive you nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Bar work

Emmm, he's 16.
    A job in a supermarket is quite good. Lots of people your own age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I spent most of my college time working in a computer game shop. All the staff were really nice, most customers were sound except for the ****ing kids.

I made some really good friends who I still hang around with, I think it's important to make friends outside college as well as in. Hanging around with college peeps all the time gets a little insular and tired to say the least.

Personally I'd tend to shy away from working it bars and stuff. It takes up a awful big wedge of your time and you'll be working times will be late and your studying times early can't be good for the aul nody clock. Plus working it bars is hard while working in shops centres around breaks, going out for coffee, reading magazines and going out drinking after work.

Or at least my place did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Darth Henry

try mcdonalds, abrakebabra, supermacs etc etc.

always willing to take cheap labour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

If you're good at your subject, you could give grinds to Leaving Cert students - good pay plus you're sitting down, not killing yourself running around a bar/restaurant.

Or, for postgrad students(I know this dosen't apply to you, eireboy, but for other readers) - giving tutorials to undergrads is well-paid work and looks good on a CV.

Advertisement