Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best HD manufacturer?

• 15-08-2003 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a new HD in a month or two and was just wondering what opinions people had on the different manufacturers.
    e.g. Did your Western digital fail after a month, got a replacement and it failed again etc.
    what is the most
    reliable manufacturer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Have had a maxtor and it blew after a year
    Have been building PC's for a good while now and Ill only use WD hard disks and Ive never had a problem with my PC's in ages. The longer that remains that way the better. It takes alot now adays to do serious damage to a Hard Drive, physically anyway.
    Have a softspot for Seagate drives, dont really have a good reason, but Western Digital is definately my first choice at the moment

Ger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

I have a Seagate and a Western Digital in my PC. I have had no trouble with either. I would have rated Maxtor over Seagate though. Sounds like you had a dodgy drive there. Get onto Maxtor and see what they have to say, you may get a new drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

You need to define your priorities, first if it is pure speed WD, quality IBM, silence seagate.

About reliability well this could give you an idea, these figures are the HD returns from a french shop Ldlc.com

Disques IDE 7200 tpm 40 Go :

Seagate : 1.6% (7643)
    Maxtor : 1.9% (8052)
    IBM 120GXP : 3.1% (4790)
    Western Digital : 7.2% (1726)

Disques IDE 7200 tpm 60 Go :

Seagate : 0.7% (284)
    IBM 120 GXP : 2.5% (722)
    Maxtor : 2.5% (1791)
    Western Digital : 8.6% (490)

Disques IDE 7200 tpm 80 Go :

Seagate : 2.4% (1248)
    IBM : 2.8% (2131)
    Western Digital : 3.1% (1676)
    Maxtor : 3.3% (2060)

Disques IDE 7200 tpm 120 Go :

Western Digital SE : 3.0% (132)
    IBM : 3.1% (708)
    Western Digital : 5% (120)

Personnaly I use to have an IBM but found it to noisy so I replaced it with a Seagate and I must say I am very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Apparently maxtor do a good deal with their HDD's when you break em :)see here!

I myself have a 30 and a 40 gig 5200rpm maxtor HDD and they are great! no problems with them - i even let one drop as i was carrying it ontop of my processor and mobo box and it still worked without flaw :)

Advertisement